Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to attach the Branch
I have finally had the Branch delivered, only to encounter serious frustration, since I am completely unable to attach the optical cable and the Branch to my Phantom.

Originally I wanted to attach the ethernet-cable, but I gave up on that due to lack of space (neither my nor my wife's smaller fingers fit comfortably). However, I find it almost impossible to attach the optical cable. Once the Branch is attached, there's next to no space to plug in the optical cable. I succeeded once, only to witness it come unplugged as I plugged in the power cable.

Could anyone please let me know, if there's a secret to doing this? I'm seriously thinking about returning it all, because I find this design to be unbelievably stupid.
Is it possible to attach the cables first and then attach the speaker?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I put the Phantom upside down on the floor, connected all the cables then connected the Branch to the speaker whilst gingerly taking up the slack in the cables.
Then I turned the whole lot over.

One has to be careful not to touch drive units and the upside down assembly is heavy and cumbersome.

The assembly part of the design was not well thought through, but once done IMO the best speaker/stand assembly I have seen.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks for the replies. We did try to connect the cables first, but when connecting the Branch, the optical cable once again came undone.

We'll try and do it all upside down later, nut even removing the Phantom from the Branch again is a chore. This surely is a case of design over functionality, and while I - and certainly the wife - enjoy not haing to bother with the cable mess, most stereo systems come with, I would much prefer to look at a few inches of optilcal and ethernet cables at the back of the Phantom than having to deal with this mess.

f1eng: Did you manage to also connect the ethernet cable?

The most frustrating is, that I absolutely love everything else about the Phantom :-)
A last desperate attempt succeeded, since the optical cable didn't slide out when connecting the power cable. The Phantom is connected and "locked", although it can still move around a little bit. Is this normal?
I don't use ethernet.
The rubber pad under the Phantom allows movement even when the latch is home.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It is not that hard to fit in all cables.
First, make sure all cables are pulled to the back, as seen in the picture link.
Put Phantom on the branch and lock it in place.
Start with fitting the optical cable. Push the cable a little bit down in the branch as you fix it in the socket. There cannot be exessive wire in the small space under Phantom.
Next up is the LAN cable. Do the same as with the optical cable

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxc1Pd...UIxVkxaMTA
OK. Thanks for your input.
(31-Jan-2016, 17:13)ERP Wrote: A last desperate attempt succeeded, since the optical cable didn't slide out when connecting the power cable. The Phantom is connected and "locked", although it can still move around a little bit. Is this normal?

I asked this question in the main Branch thread but didn't get a reply. From my experience, the front of the phantom latches to the Branch, but the back can be lifted up and away from the stand if you try lifting the back end of the Phantom. It seems the latch/lock mechanism has quite a bit of slack in it as its only held at one point, and the back-end of the phantom just rests on the stand. I queried this in the other thread because I was trying to figure out what the safest / correct way of moving the Phantom on a Branch is. It seems dangerous/wrong to lift the Phantom with the stand dangling. But there is no easy way to grip the structure to move it once assembled as it does NOT slide on carpet and does need to be lifted "somehow".
(31-Jan-2016, 18:06)Bogardo Wrote: It is not that hard to fit in all cables.
First, make sure all cables are pulled to the back, as seen in the picture link.
Put Phantom on the branch and lock it in place.
Start with fitting the optical cable. Push the cable a little bit down in the branch as you fix it in the socket. There cannot be exessive wire in the small space under Phantom.
Next up is the LAN cable. Do the same as with the optical cable

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxc1Pd...UIxVkxaMTA

Good for you that you had no problems. Ffor us it was extremely hard, even though we didn't have the ethernet cable to bother with. Maybe our optical cable is faulty, but it took next to no touching from the power cable to unplug it. I still think it's horribly designed.

But now it works, and I just hope we won't be needing the ethernet cable :-)