Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hum starting between -85 to -80db
I've just replaced my Oracle Delphi with 345 SME arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge with a VPI Aries 3D and Dynavector DRT XV-1s (12" 3D arm).  

In between -85 to -80DB I start getting a hum (from the woofers).  It builds up almost like the cartridge is picking up the phonics.  Its repeatable.  I don't let it get to far in to the hum before I'm cranking back the volume to -80.

My speakers are not all that efficient (86) so listening at that level is not uncomfortable.

Is there a setting that I might need to consider changing (like low level filter) or something similar?

With the cartridge/arm off the record, I can turn up the volume to well over 0 with no noise at all. 

Any suggestions most welcomed.

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(17-Apr-2017, 21:33)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I've just replaced my Oracle Delphi with 345 SME arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge with a VPI Aries 3D and Dynavector DRT XV-1s (12" 3D arm).  

In between -85 to -80DB I start getting a hum (from the woofers).  It builds up almost like the cartridge is picking up the phonics.  Its repeatable.  I don't let it get to far in to the hum before I'm cranking back the volume to -80.

My speakers are not all that efficient (86) so listening at that level is not uncomfortable.

Is there a setting that I might need to consider changing (like low level filter) or something similar?

With the cartridge/arm off the record, I can turn up the volume to well over 0 with no noise at all. 

Any suggestions most welcomed.

Jim

The subsonic filter is on by default for phono input if I remember correctly.  If you are using a seperate preamp you would need to enable the subsonic filter in config for that input.

Either way it sounds like you have some sort of issue with the new cartridge, wiring or something that needs to be resolved.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

It could be many things. Most likely an earthing issue, the little earthing connection on the Devialet is quite fiddly. I did get hum in my set up when the earthing connection was not exactly right.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'll check it out tonight after work.  Hopefully its just me being sloppy on my earth connection.  I'm going direct into the D220 from the TT.  I didn't see the subsonic filter on the phono setup.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't realize until playing a couple of albums tonight that the I quoted the wrong DB level.  Fairly loud playing (small room - big speakers), its between 8.5 and 8.0 and not 85.0 and 80.  

So great SQ until I get to the louder levels and that's where the hum starts to build.  Cutting back to around 8.5 stops.  Grounding is good. I did go through the menu and turn of the subsonic.  Didn't get a chance to crank it up after that unfortunately.  Maybe early tomorrow evening right after work.

Jim
According to the specification, the output voltage of your cartridge should be 0.3mV which is not too low. And noise or hum occurs at around -8.0 or -8.5dB level is not bad. You may try to move the phono and earthing cables as far away from other cables to minimise the interference.
Sounds like feedback. Try a different support for the turntable.
Devialet 200 - Kuzma Stabi S - Kuzma Stogi Ref - Lyra Delos - REL B2 - Epos 12.2 - Creek Evolution CD - DIY silver cables
thank you everyone for you comments and suggestions.  The hum from the cartridge is like the low level microphonics building up if left alone at the higher sound level (much like feedback).  I had a similar cartridge on the Oracle Delphi (known for eliminating all low level vibrations) previously and didn't experience this.  Could it be the longer arm 12" vs 10" helping to introduce this?  

I'm unable to move the equipment (very small apt), so will confirm cables and grounding are better isolated.  The speakers cabinets (Harbeth 40.1) have also known to be quite active (big beautiful but thin walled). I will move the speaker cab further away from the source to see if that's the cause. Should've tried that first.

Jim
(18-Apr-2017, 15:44)Jim_Anderson Wrote: thank you everyone for you comments and suggestions.  The hum from the cartridge is like the low level microphonics building up if left alone at the higher sound level (much like feedback).  I had a similar cartridge on the Oracle Delphi (known for eliminating all low level vibrations) previously and didn't experience this.  Could it be the longer arm 12" vs 10" helping to introduce this?  

I'm unable to move the equipment (very small apt), so will confirm cables and grounding are better isolated.  The speakers cabinets (Harbeth 40.1) have also known to be quite active (big beautiful but thin walled). I will move the speaker cab further away from the source to see if that's the cause. Should've tried that first.

Jim
Don't think a longer arm would cause this. Good luck!
Feedback - thats my problem. Hardwood floors + big speakers + small room + overly sensitive platform = feedback. Had my dealer and our infamous local turntable setup master over for some fine whiskey and new vinyl and it was easy for them to identify the issue and display ways by demonstration how to replicate at lower sound levels.

Their recommendation, better isolation from the vibration coming from the flooring (the house is several million years old) by way of a swing from the ceiling. LOL - left a somewhat different image in my mind.

Anyways - issue identified but not solved. Thank the good lord, I don't play the music at 8.5 to often as it does wake up the dead and if I find I have to, switch to something other than vinyl while at my current location (move coming up this summer).

Thanks all.