Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I need a new streamer.
(05-Sep-2023, 16:47)Yondu Wrote: I've not tested it but this streamer (specs) is looking good : Eversolo DMP-A6 (and Roon Ready)  899€
https://www.eversolo.com/Product/index/m...3D%3D.html
https://youtu.be/pokEBmWlVIA

I´ve been checking aroud about the Eversolo A6 and the general opinion is that´s very good for the price, especially if it´s used just as a streamer without using the inside DAC.
For a reasonable price, I would prefer a streamer without a DAC in order to optimize costs.
Now, i´m trying to find someone who knows how Devialet works with the Eversolo.
Continuing...
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(19-Sep-2023, 17:27)BoyScout Wrote:
(05-Sep-2023, 16:47)Yondu Wrote: I've not tested it but this streamer (specs) is looking good : Eversolo DMP-A6 (and Roon Ready)  899€
https://www.eversolo.com/Product/index/m...3D%3D.html
https://youtu.be/pokEBmWlVIA

I´ve been checking aroud about the Eversolo A6 and the general opinion is that´s very good for the price, especially if it´s used just as a streamer without using the inside DAC.
For a reasonable price, I would prefer a streamer without a DAC in order to optimize costs.
Now, i´m trying to find someone who knows how Devialet works with the Eversolo.
Continuing...

For the same price (more or less) there's the Volumio streamer only Rivo. I don't own it and I've never tried it, but it seems a very capable machine.
I have Pi4 + Pi2AES 2.0 running GentooPlayer in RAM mode + Shanti LPS since a week.
Only Roon Bridge runs on the GentooPlayer.
Much improvement over Roon Bridge running in Devialet 220Pro CI. I was surprised.
I am going to buy used Etherregen v1 (original) after its prices go down upon release of v2 (expected early next year).

Why i bought that DIY setup?
I wasn't satisfied with Roon on Devialet. UPnP on Devialet is much better. So i expected there is a chance to make sound better.

I am glad i tried the rPi4 setup. It is better even then the UPnP on Devialet and as i already said, big improvement over Roon on Devialet.
I planned to abandon the Roon entirely, but i might change my mind.

I tried also HQ NAA on Rpi4 with QHPe on NUC7 (trial license), but it wasn't better, just different. I don't think it is worth a spend for me since i don't need any DSP/room correction.

Still, i want to try more:
1. DIY: Pink Faun SPDIF bridge with Ultra OCXO clock in fanless AMD-based PC powered by LPS
2. Grimm MU1
3. Aurender N20

It will take me a while because it is hard to buy all required components for the DIY PC. I can wait even a 1 year. Since i am already happy with the Pi4.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
How significant is the improvement over UPnP?
What's exactly better and/or different?

I also find UPnP much better than Roon (both RAAT and AIR).
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(22-Sep-2023, 00:46)Delija Wrote: How significant is the improvement over UPnP?
What's exactly better and/or different?

I also find UPnP much better than Roon (both RAAT and AIR).

It is always very hard to quantify differences in sound. And the differences in sound might depend on differences in components in system (i.e. speakers), setup (i.e. how speakers are located and their interaction with room), power (electricity).

Leaving my above disclaimer behind, let say that english is not my native tongue and i would be in trouble trying to describe sound even in my native language.
What i can say is:
1. in my opinion Devialet is light in midrange, some might say it has thin midrange, but to me it is light on timbre
2. for me UPnP on Devialet is 20% better than Roon on Devialet - better are: fluidity, softer transients, softer midrange, less digitus/edginess in midrange band
3. improvement of Roon Bridge on Rpi4 over Roon on Devialet is 100% - better are: fluidity, fuller midrange, much less digitus/edginess in midrange band and most important, rich timbre

So i would say improvement of Roon@Rpi over UPnP@devialet is "small" in fluidity and edginess, but "significant" in timbre richness. 
How much is "small" and "significant"? I guess it depends on speakers, mostly. But even the "small" improvement was felt immediately. I did not have to search for it or listen same song many times. I heard it all immediately, across all music genres. It is impossible to miss the change. That is why i provided big percentages above.

PS:
Please note that since i use Genelec powered speakers, i have used, mostly, Core Infinity card of Devialet. Hence:
Roon Core -> Devialet's CI (Roon Bridge + UPnP) -> Genelec powered speakers

After i added Rpi4/Pi2AES 2/Shanti i don't use Devialet at all:
Roon Core -> Rpi4/Pi2AES (Roon Bridge in GentooPlayer) -> Genelec powered speakers
You are using only pre-outs on Devialet - into active speakers?

(22-Sep-2023, 12:25)Delija Wrote: You are using only pre-outs on Devialet - into active speakers?

Yes. I was using pre-out only on Devialet in last year.
I hope you are aware that DAC section for pre-out is not as good as DAC section used for amplified output - this output is ment primarily for subwoofers.

In short - that's not the way Devialet is ment to be used...

My local dealer tells me that what I need is an appliance that can be Roon Core as it was my Innuos, since the Devialet is already Roon ready. This make sense for you guys, right?
He also told me that not many do it, and I wanted to free my mac from these tasks.
Is the Mac mini good for the job?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(22-Sep-2023, 19:59)Delija Wrote: I hope you are aware that DAC section for pre-out is not as good as DAC section used for amplified output - this output is ment primarily for subwoofers.

In short - that's not the way Devialet is ment to be used...

This is misunderstanding. I am not using analog pre-out.
Just digital out. So, no DAC impact on Devialet's output.