Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I need a new streamer.
I use Eversolo DMP-A6 Master together with Devialet 220 PRO no problems
(30-Oct-2023, 10:39)SVG Wrote: I use Eversolo DMP-A6 Master together with Devialet 220 PRO no problems

And wich DAC are you using, the built in Eversolo or the Devialet one?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Just so you know: if you're feeding an analog input to the Devialet, it's going to be converted back to digital anyway! (I'd have thought you'd be better off supplying a digital input unless the Eversolo's DAC has some particular inaccuracy you are fond of...)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The topic has already been discussed in various discussions, but I would still like to hear your expert opinion on the following.

I understand that the noise from the power supply of e.g. a streamer must be removed as much as possible to get a better sound quality. That is why a few years ago, replacing the power supply in my Auralic Aries G1 with an LPS from Hoerwege resulted in a clearly audible improvement. Better and nicer bass reproduction, better placement, etc. However, with all kinds of new streamers on the market, which have also become considerably more expensive, I wanted to determine whether there would be any noticeable improvements.
In recent days I have borrowed two high-end streamers to compare with my current one. These are the Lumin U2 and the Auralic Aries G2.2. Before the comparisons started, all streamers were fed music for days.
Together with a friend and my wife, who, like me, can both judge the reproduction of music well, I had two long sessions spread over two days to make an accurate A, B, C comparison with various types of music via Qobuz Studio. Usually blind to the others. I myself knew about exchanging the plugs to determine which streamer was playing.

My set: Streamer via USB Audioquest Carbon to Devialet 440 C to Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4.

The listening session unanimously yielded the following results:
- My current streamer Auralic Aries G1 vs. Lumin U2: Lumin sounds a bit warmer. You can listen to this for a little longer without getting tired. The S-sounds are slightly milder, but with voices and music in that frequency range it sometimes seems as if there was a handkerchief between the microphone and voice or instrument. Bass and texture of both great. Placement seemed slightly wider and deeper on Lumin. A little less in the foreground.
- My current streamer Auralic Aries G1 vs. Auralic Aries G2.2: We spent a lot of time on this, but could hear virtually no difference. This outcome did surprise us.

My opinion is that by the optimized power supplies in all streamers listened to here, there is hardly any difference in sound from this point. The output of the all streamers tested are optimized USB ports. With the U2 and G2.2 these seem to be more decoupled than with the G1. These newer streamers, also have better clocks on board. Could it be that we hear little difference between the streamers because the “reclocking” takes place in the Devialet when connected to the USB input? Then the improved clocks in the U2 and G2.2 do not have much effect. Is this statement correct? I have doubts because various reviews of the new streamers report that good results are achieved via USB to DAC. Then it could be that these DACs do not re-clock themselves. Or? Do you think I will hear more of a difference if I purchase and test an AES/EBU to AES/EBU cable? I look forward to your comments.

Yours sincerely,
Rob
Devialet 440 CI Pro; AudioQuest Castle Rock; Bowers & Wilkins 801D4; Auralic Aries G1 with Hoerwege power supply, CD Player Meridian 507; Qobuz Studio
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I think it would be very useful (for you and us Smile) if you try AES/EBU.

BTW, how much difference do you hear compared with streaming via UPnP directly on Devialet?
I ve read your (very) old post on this subject - but have you tried it recently?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I also would go AES/EBU which seems to be the best match with the internal processing of the Devialet.
@Delija, meanwhile I compared Qobuz tracks playing via mconnectHD via UPnP with Auralic Aries G1 + Hoerwege LPS via USB. Devialet connected to fast and reliable WiFi. Played several tracks in CD quality and hi res. With the Devialet app I could quickly switch input. My audio-friend was listening blind. Our unanimous conclusion was that the sound via the Auralic streamer was significantly better. Less ‘flat’, more dynamics and better 3D.

Next tests will be:
- Connecting AES to AES. Unfortunately the Auralic Aries G2.2 and LUMIN U2, both with better clocks than the G1, had to be returned to the HiFi dealer after the first A,B and C comparisons.
- Using a 230 to 230 Volt power supply (not a filter) delivering an extremely clean and accurate output. This one will be feeding the Auralic streamer.

Kind regards,
Rob

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Devialet 440 CI Pro; AudioQuest Castle Rock; Bowers & Wilkins 801D4; Auralic Aries G1 with Hoerwege power supply, CD Player Meridian 507; Qobuz Studio
To the original poster , I am not sure if you have get your new streamer yet.
I use the Stack AUDIO Link 2 in my headphone set up and it has been excellent . Sounds good to me too
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(27-Dec-2023, 09:59)Womaz Wrote: To the original poster , I am not sure if you have get your new streamer yet.
I use the Stack AUDIO Link 2 in my headphone set up and it has been excellent . Sounds good to me too

Thanks for the tip.
I decided to use a Mac mini as streamer and also as roon core.
It was the closest approach to my late Innuos system, without spending a lot on something i don´t know.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
And you can also run HQPlayer on it