Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Innuos Zenith ripper/streamer
(15-Feb-2018, 16:00)Axel Wrote: There’s a very positive review of the Innous Zenith SE Mkll in the February edition of Hi-Fi+.

Mine is not the ‘SE’, I wish Big Grin

Had great service from Nuno at Innuos today over a minor problem, also setup Roon with Ethernet and USB connected to the D400 at the same time so A/B comparisons are easy.

Ethernet  surprisingly good using an old stock cable...

Hopefully will have the Shunyata Venom on loan from Guillaume tomorrow and also a Supra Cat8 2m from Mark Grant. Not comparing apples etc I know but should be interesting....
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
(16-Feb-2018, 16:30)Carcrashboy Wrote:
(15-Feb-2018, 16:00)Axel Wrote: There’s a very positive review of the Innous Zenith SE Mkll in the February edition of Hi-Fi+.

Had great service from Nuno at Innuos today over a minor problem, also setup Roon with Ethernet and USB connected to the D400 at the same time so A/B comparisons are easy.

Hopefully will have the Shunyata Venom on loan from Guillaume tomorrow and also a Supra Cat8 2m from Mark Grant. Not comparing apples etc I know but should be interesting....

I do not have Roon or plan to get it presently. Is your ethernet connection via network or via the streamer out of the Zenith? Looking forward to your comments about sound quality of USB vs ethernet
(16-Feb-2018, 18:07)Music or sound Wrote:
(16-Feb-2018, 16:30)Carcrashboy Wrote:

I do not have Roon or plan to get it presently. Is your ethernet connection via network or via the streamer out of the Zenith? Looking forward to your comments about sound quality of USB vs ethernet
Ethernet is direct from streamer on the Zenith. Not sure how you would control Zenith without Roon, possibly UPnP.
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

South East Wales, UK
Have been spending time, despite the now infamous Great Welsh Earthquake of 2018, testing out Zenith functions, ROON Backups ( and stacks of housekeeping on legacy albums metadata) etc, and listening to USB v Ethernet.

As mentioned above, the test was Shunyata Venom USB v Supra CAT ethernet cable, not a fair fight but having had good experience with Supra from my iMAC to D400 I felt it was a reasonable test, and Guillaume was kind enough to loan me the Venom.

Testing started with a preference for ethernet, could be that the functionality of ROON/AIR from the iPAD (being the same as iMAC implantation) took my fancy. How ever the more we listed the more that solution sounded  thinner, less life-like, than the Venom which once it had settled down (or maybe I had settled down!) started to sound, dare I say it, 'more analogue'.

This was confirmed last night where I definitely felt I had a balance in the system, warmer than the ethernet, but detailed, I really did hear things I had not heard before, things like  backing singers, guitar fills, and lead vocals at times.

It easy with new stuff, well recorded etc but I was very impressed listening to the first McCartney solo stuff, the music I grew up with, and had never heard it sound so good.

OK so some of that maybe because I hadn't heard it for a while, the stars were aligned, maybe the magnetic fields in South Wales are more conducive to good sound since the earthquake...

I have ordered the Venom USB from Guillaume.

I have also setup ROON backups to be stored on the Zenith, and been able, using an iOS app called Filebrowser to move them to my iCloud account for safe keeping.

I do believe I am now able to go PC/MAC free for the first time since around 1984. (see thread Config by email for more details)

South East Wales, UK
I got finally ethernet working via UPnP (streamer out) using AK connect 2.0 on my iPad and it worked well up to 96kHz. 192kHz files ended up as 96 too. The sound quality was good with my decent but cheap Tera Grand CAT-7 but USB sounded so much better in any respect.
I guess I will be not pursuing ethernet connections and be staying happily with USB (and Innuos also suggested that USB should be the better sounding connection option).
(26-Feb-2018, 02:10)Music or sound Wrote: I got finally ethernet working via UPnP (streamer out) using AK connect 2.0 on my iPad and it worked well up to 96kHz. 192kHz files ended up as 96 too. The sound quality was good with my decent but cheap Tera Grand CAT-7 but USB sounded so much better in any respect.
I guess I will be not pursuing ethernet connections and be staying happily with USB (and Innuos also suggested that USB should be the better sounding connection option).

Here: http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...-converter

Is a review of a DAC that has both USB and Ethernet inputs and was used with an Innous Zenith Mk2. Interestingly, the reviewer reckons Ethernet was the clear winner. Must be an issue on the DAC side  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(16-Mar-2018, 11:53)Pim Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 02:10)Music or sound Wrote: I got finally ethernet working via UPnP (streamer out) using AK connect 2.0 on my iPad and it worked well up to 96kHz. 192kHz files ended up as 96 too. The sound quality was good with my decent but cheap Tera Grand CAT-7 but USB sounded so much better in any respect.

Here: http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...-converter

Is a review of a DAC that has both USB and Ethernet inputs and was used with an Innous Zenith Mk2. Interestingly, the reviewer reckons Ethernet was the clear winner. Must be an issue on the DAC side  :huh:
I read that too and the quality of any connection is not only dependent on the sender but also the receiver. Devialet's USB input got through CI board significant better but I am also thinking that UPnP is not the best way to transmit data. So if there would another option for an ethernet direct (which I would like to be Roon independent) ethernet could become better than USB.
My experience with USB vs UPnP mirrors yours (albeit fronted with a Melco). I'll put it down to Devialet's UPnP renderer implementation for the moment and revisit when the next code update comes out.

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
Has anyone tried different power cords on a Zenith?

Interested to know if any benefits noticed?

South East Wales, UK
(29-Mar-2018, 13:03)Carcrashboy Wrote: Has anyone tried different power cords on a Zenith?

Interested to know if any benefits noticed?

I have tried 2 different Acrolink cables (DIY as I have to use quite short cables) one 7N-P4020III and then a 7N-PC4030 Anniversario and the  later sounds better (not difficult to hear that).