Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Brown Noise Generator
How does it works?
I’m waiting for my brand new speakers, could help to burn-in?
Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
It's apparently intended for speaker burn in.

How does it work? Simple. Select it as an input and brown noise starts pouring out of your speakers. That's it. The only control or option you have with it is your volume knob.

Does it work as far as speaker burn in goes? I don't know. I tried it when I changed my speakers and I also tried a couple of burn in discs. No idea whether brown noise is more effective than any other way of burning in speakers including playing music. I also played a lot of music. I have no idea what the most effective way to burn in speakers is.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Clear, thank you David!
Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
Mmmm brown noise or music.... I know what I’d rather listen to with a new set of speakers!

It really is a fairly pointless feature of the Devialet IMO. It’s not like you can’t just play a brown noise source if you’re really that way inclined. Now if it was part of a room Correction suite then, .....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'd rather listen to music than brown noise also, new speakers or old. When I used it during speaker break in, I played it overnight starting it when I went to bed. Up until then I played music.

I don't know that it's pointless. I've got sources of white and pink noise but no other source of brown noise, in fact I didn't even know what the difference between brown noise and pink or white noise was until I just did a Google search and when it comes to a test track for measurements for room correction then white or pink noise are what I've seen recommended. Until that search I'd never seen a mention of brown noise anywhere except for the option in Devialet's configurator. Brown noise seems to emphasise lower frequencies over higher frequencies more than pink noise does and the main comments about uses for it in that search related to using it as a background noise to help people sleep. I then did a separate quick search specifically for the combination of "brown noise" and "room correction" and gave up after the first few links I looked at failed to show anything other than passing mentions of brown noise but no mention of using it as a test signal for measurements.

Based on those searches, and I didn't spend too long chasing links on either search when the first half dozen or so links in each search kept turning up similar things, I get the feeling it's not in common use for room correction purposes. It may be useful for speaker break in because the emphasis on lower frequencies may give your woofers a bit more of a workout than pink or white noise do. Do you have any more info on using it for room correction?
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
White noise:
Contains all frequencies, but the frequencies are different loud. The high frequencies are louder and seen at 25db to the lowest frequency.

Pink noise:
Contains all frequencies of the audible range, all the same loud, linear, so to speak.

Brown noise:
Is just as multifrequential but the volume distribution is inversely proportional to the white noise, the drop in level to the high frequencies is 6dB / octave.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(08-Nov-2018, 08:01)K4680 Wrote: White noise:
Contains all frequencies, but the frequencies are different loud. The high frequencies are louder and seen at 25db to the lowest frequency.

Pink noise:
Contains all frequencies of the audible range, all the same loud, linear, so to speak.

Brown noise:
Is just as multifrequential but the volume distribution is inversely proportional to the white noise, the drop in level to the high frequencies is 6dB / octave.
This is different from what Wikipedia says, e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
My post was a bit tongue in cheek, I wouldn’t expect to use with room correction. Or anything else really.

It was more the notion of having signal generators built in and the Devialet being able to do something useful with them.

I generally use log sweeps or pink noise for DRC

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(08-Nov-2018, 09:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote: My post was a bit tongue in cheek, I wouldn’t expect to use with room correction. Or anything else really.

It was more the notion of having signal generators built in and the Devialet being able to do something useful with them.

I generally use log sweeps or pink noise for DRC

I'm sorry I couldn't see the location of your tongue in your post.  Actually I just got an email reminder from my optometrist and it seems he may be right about me needing a checkup    :-)

The brown noise generator does seem like an odd feature to include but if the intention is that it be used for speaker break in and if it actually is useful for that, then I actually think it's a great idea. As I said, it's easy to come up with sources of test signals and other signals specifically stated to be used for speaker break in, and plenty of sources for continuous music but all of them require you to run another device as a source as well as your amp. With the brown noise generator built into the amp you just need the amp. There's an elegant simplicity about that but we're left with the big question of whether or not it actually is useful for speaker break in.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It is a very odd feature, either someone at Devialet has a good personal reason for it being there, or it helps with production testing or something internal would be my guess.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution