Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet Expert now valueless?
Devialet Pro will be my main “platform” for many years to come. Saying that as an owner of a number of established SS and tube gears, speakers, DAC, streamers, among others, over the years. This “platform” is doing the same job of so many equivalent separate pieces. And it is doing so well.

A single streamer may cost more than a Devialet Pro, but I doubt that it will do better in my system.

Greatest challenge for its owner is to learn how to make the best use of it.
I still value my D- Premier...here's why...

I am the second owner and had it for the last 4 years connected to my Focal Electra 1028Be setup.

...recently though it failed with a puff of smoke on powerup up after I plugged it in (after unplugging it for a vacation week)  
On opening it up one of the 6 large NIC 2200 uF capacitors had failed (oil all around, top cap bulged etc) . 

Good news is Customer Care was awesome and I shipped this for out of warranty service back to France and got it back a few weeks later with several parts replaced (including some boards.) I spent $850 Canadian (I did not do the 250 upgrade for $6400 but I thought on it quite a bit ). all working perfectly now like new 

To me the money spent on a used D premier a few years back plus this added service cost was great and now I have many years of more enjoyment
(in fact I tried to buy an used 2nd D Premiere but was scammed (yup I was stupid) 

It meets my needs and then some :
  1. I feed my premier via RCA Line input from my AVM70 for my home theater fronts (music streaming via Roon to iFi Zen into AVM70 using ARC Genesis room acoustics) 
  2. I can play Roon direct from my NUC HDMI out to my old but still awesome HDMI in , unique to the old premiers ... sound is super!
  3. I can also play Air via Roon which at last now seems more stable and better especially right after a power up.
  4. I want to build an IanCanada project to route AES in from my NUC/Streamer 

It's about the sound quality which to me is still bit perfectly super.
The remote is awesome (but yes wish the app remote worked on my S24) 
Big Grin
I agree used Devialets are probably the absolute best 'bang for the buck' in decent hifi around.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.
I'm now in the New Classic Naim system (Streamer Pre amp 222, Power Supply 300 and 250 Power amp). Ex Dem. 3 boxes costing less than a retail price of the D250 PRO - when available, but about the cost of a used pair of 250 PROs.
Differences - relatively minor as always at this end.
- Wider deeper soundstage than the Devialet which felt a bit two dimensional going back to it.
- More precise timing of complex rhythmic pieces - the Devialet felt a bit lost sometimes when pushed to the limits here (eg complex symphonic metal).
- Audirvana via UPNP to the streamer is a bit more stable over time than AIR (fewer restarts)
Still using my atom GT1 SEs and REL subs. The Atohm's are very very under appreciated speakers in the UK and incredible value.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 NPX300 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire Acrylic Reference rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to AT VML540ML fine line stylus and Vertere Phono-1

You are comparing 250 non-pro.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

But what about People who complain about the app who Don,t work with the phones ,is that not a ploblem or ?
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Why are you still on this forum? Nothing smarter to do?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(09-Apr-2024, 12:49)Delija Wrote: Why are you still on this forum? Nothing smarter to do?

Becorse i am Reading about the ploblems ,and Think that Devialet is crazy ,becorse if they do something about the app, and other thing some People complain about, i Will still say that expertline is a great amp , and it Can get more People to Bye a expert.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(09-Apr-2024, 13:16)Finn Wrote:
(09-Apr-2024, 12:49)Delija Wrote: Why are you still on this forum? Nothing smarter to do?

Becorse i am Reading about the ploblems  ,and Think that Devialet is crazy ,becorse if they do something about the app, and other thing some People complain about, i Will still say that expertline is a great amp , and it Can get more People to Bye a expert.

Honestly, I am a user of the old Expert 400, and I don't care about the app. The app is only used for volume anyway, why not just use the beautiful remote control?
(10-Apr-2024, 02:39)ray1234 Wrote: Honestly, I am a user of the old Expert 400, and I don't care about the app. The app is only used for volume anyway, why not just use the beautiful remote control?

Sometimes it's just handy. You're sitting in the other side of the room with the phone in your hand and the remote out of reach.
Or one day your remote control is not working anymore and you don't wanna spend 350 (?) euros to get a new one, if still available that is.

As said before, it's a matter of minutes to rewrite the code and make it work on new devices.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
I haven't used the Devialet app since I got Roon, choosing to open just one app at a time.  I now adjust the volume through my Lumin, again why open 2 apps?

Back to the original subject as to the value of our beloved Devialet's.  I can't speak to the what is happening in the Hi-fi market in genera and specifically Devialet units but I have been selling off household items for the last 3 years preparing to downsize in the next few years.  It was quite a little income earner for a retiree.  However, ever since the interest rates started to climb in the last year + (in North American at least) my sales have all but dried up.  Combine high inflation and high interest rates, if people don't need it, they ain't buying it. Again not sure how that translates to the global luxury market of high-end stereo but just my observation.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada