Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with Devialet Remote for iOS
I use AIR for streaming from my Macbook Air directly to my 440-Pro CI using Ethernet. As I use Roon, hence Roon AIR is used (and not Devialet AIR). 

When I did my Devialet Config files, I enabled AIR (keeping DHCP as OFF and IP as 192.168.0.77) and WiFi is also enabled with DHCP as ON and using my home internet SSID settings. On my laptop, for Ethernet streaming, IP is fixed at 192.168.0.100

I have the iOS Devialet Expert App on my iPhone X and when I am listening to AIR thru Roon, I am unable to get the Devialet Remote Volume on my iPhone. My iPhone is also on WiFi using my same home internet settings. 

What could be the issue ?

(Before I sent my D400 for upgrading to 440-Pro CI, I could use Devialet Expert Volume controls on my iPhone). 

Many Thanks in advance ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I don't know how much help this is going to be but, like you, I have used the iPhone app successfully in the past but running it on my iPad rather than on an iPhone. I no longer use it and it's now uninstalled so I can't check any of these thoughts out.

First, there's something funny going on with volume control from the app. When I installed it a couple of months ago I had the app disabled in my config file and wifi input also disabled. Volume control from the app should not have worked but it did. I raised this with Devialet support and they eventually advised that the remote app settings in the configurator aren't currently functional so the app should work regardless of what setting you have there. I've got a 140 Pro CI and you have a 440 Pro CI. I wouldn't think there would be a difference in the operation of that configuration setting between our 2 amps but perhaps there is so it may be worth checking your configuration setting for remote control from the app.

The next thing is do you have volume control enabled in Roon's device setup options for your 440? I don't but there's been some recent updates for Roon and perhaps something in one of them introduced a problem so if you have volume control turned on in Roon, try turning it off since you want to use the Devialet app for volume control.

My other suggestion concerns disabling WiFi. Your signature doesn't indicate that you're using any wifi source so you shouldn't need wifi on and maybe having both ethernet and wifi inputs enabled is causing an issue, perhaps because of the difference in your network settings for the ethernet and wifi settings.

Really all I can suggest is that you play around a bit with those various setting options and see if changing one of them solves the problem. Settings can be a real problem at times as I know from just having to deal with a setting problem myself. I use an Antipodes server and the Antipodes settings are accessed via a web based interface using a browser. I've been doing that via Safari on my iPad and it worked fine but last week I upgraded my iPad to a new iPad Pro and all of a sudden I couldn't access some (not all, mind you) of my Antipodes functions with Safari on the new iPad, even though I could still do so from the old iPad and both were running the same iOS version. It turned out that there are different setting options for Safari on the iPad Pro to those on the old iPad and once I enabled Javascript in Safari on the new iPad Pro everything worked. There's no setting for Javascript in Safari on the old iPad so sometimes hardware changes can result in different settings and behaviour. You've just had both a hardware and a firmware change with your CI upgrade so I'd start by checking out any setting in your configuration and in Roon that might remotely be related and seeing if changing one of them solves the problem. We shouldn't have to do that sort of thing but sometimes we do.

I hope it just boils down to a settings issue and that you can find it easily and quickly.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I use the remote app on my iPad and iPhone, although with slightly different settings to you, @audio_engr.  One day I noticed that my iPhone app was no longer responding: just the ever spinning circle and no connection, but still OK on my iPad. I found that after deleting and reinstalling the iPhone app, functionality was restored.
Hope this helps. Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(04-Oct-2018, 02:49)Axel Wrote: I use the remote app on my iPad and iPhone, although with slightly different settings to you, @audio_engr.  One day I noticed that my iPhone app was no longer responding: just the ever spinning circle and no connection, but still OK on my iPad. I found that after deleting and reinstalling the iPhone app, functionality was restored.
Hope this helps. Smile

Thanks Axel for your inputs. 

On my iPhone, upon starting the App, its just "spins" and no connection or display ... 

Let me try to uninstall it from the iPhone and reinstall it.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
You might like to try disabling and re-enabling wi-fi on your iPhone. I have a similar recurring problem and that (annoying) procedure seems to fix it reliably for me.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
no luck .. spins and spins with nothing ...
Tried it on 3 iPhones .. 2 of them were iOS 11.3 and 11.4; the 3rd one was iOS 12
Maybe the App builder needs to fix it for iOS 11 & 12 ?
It was a very useful app as you could do without the actual remote and the finger-prints on it
If you use Roon AIR, as long as you the roonAIR device active you can use it to control the dev hardware volume - even if you’re feeding it with another source at the time.
It’s not as nice as the dev iOS app but at least gives another control point.
The app works for me but sometimes use Roon if it’s open (and I never play by AIR it’s purely for volume control convenience)
So clearly it’s just another sloppy coding effort by Devialet who probably haven’t updated the code for the CI properly (if at all)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

As @thumb5 said. Disabling, then enabling wifi should help. You can uninstall then install Remote App, but i don't think that is a root cause.
Problem with wifi in ios is that Apple implemented "anti-tracking" mechanism in IOS11 (if i am not mistaken), that periodically changes MAC of wifi interface. It confuses all other devices on LAN, that use ARP cache for mapping MAC and IP address.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(04-Oct-2018, 08:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If you use Roon AIR, as long as you the roonAIR device active you can use it to control the dev hardware volume - even if you’re feeding it with another source at the time.
The app works for me but sometimes use Roon if it’s open (and I never play by AIR it’s purely for volume control convenience)
So clearly it’s just another sloppy coding effort by Devialet who probably haven’t updated the code for the CI properly (if at all)

+1 ...

So long I use Roon, I do volume using the tiny volume adjusting slider inside the Roon. 

Its such a damn shame that DEVIALET just can't do things right ... indeed the CI update seems to have knocked out the sync with the iOS app.
(04-Oct-2018, 18:37)audio_engr Wrote:
(04-Oct-2018, 08:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If you use Roon AIR, as long as you the roonAIR device active you can use it to control the dev hardware volume - even if you’re feeding it with another source at the time.

+1 ...

So long I use Roon, I do volume using the tiny volume adjusting slider inside the Roon. 

Its such a damn shame that DEVIALET just can't do things right ... indeed the CI update seems to have knocked out the sync with the iOS app.

Except the CI update DID NOT knock out sync with the iOS app because it has worked perfectly for me after my 130 got the CI update.

As I said earlier, I think you have a problem with one of the settings in your configuration file. As a really quick test, and a test that Devialet recommend in order to find out whether the problem is configuration related, remove the SD cards from your 2 amps and restart them in factory configuration mode. See if the app works with your amps in factory configuration because if it does then the problem is somewhere in your configuration. Since you also have 3 iPhones running different iOS versions, also test in factory configuration with all 3 phones to see if part of the problem lies with iOS.

If the app works with your amps in factory configuration then we can try and trouble shoot your config settings but the first thing I would try there is using identical network settings for both the ethernet and wifi inputs and I would start with DHCP set to On for both because that's the setting that will be used in factory configuration.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia