Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with Dual Mono
Hi team,

I have spend the best part of an hour searching the forum, but couldn't find anything identical so here I am.

After an initially successful configuration of my-half-new-second hand 1000 Pro CI, I have noticed the warmer companion unit and started to read the threads about the value of the trigger cable.

So I tried that, probably not quite the right way (I later found this post and will try again) because after the set up the companion would stay stuck in "debug mode" after booting and no sound came out of the speakers connected to it. I tried again, noticed different contents of the firmware files on the SD card of the companion and decided to reinstall the latest version on both master and companion to ensure both units had exactly the same level of firmware and OS, without touching the config files. Update went well.

But since I was stlll facing the issue on the companion after reboot, I decided to give up on trigger for now and to go for a super simple brand new config where the only things I changed was the ethernet address in which I input a fixed IP and deactivation of the 2 analog RCA inputs and Opt input. 

I didn't touch anything else. I disconnected the trigger cable also and loaded the 2 SD cards in master and companion and the companion booted normally this time... good news or so I thought.

I then played a tune from Roon through ethernet Air and... heard an awful and large sound coming from the speakers. I stopped that immediately. Disconnected and reconnected both power cables, tried again and the issue was now gone... I thought I was back on the right (if warm) tracks and happily played some of my favorite tunes and found the sound much better than in my initial dual mono test (I think there was indeed some firmware difference between the units). I was in fact sounding plain amazing!

I then, just to be sure you know, tried switching the input on the master to the Digital RCA connected to my Bluray player since I had promised my daughter better sound through the amazing new speakers when playing movies instead of the subpar sound of our 9 years old pana plasma TV... and... drums rolling... same story... an awful sound coming out of the speakers...

I am still in the process of debugging this, but has anyone experienced similar issues and what could be a solution?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Horrible sound from streaming is one thing. Horrible sound from a digital input tells me there's something really wrong and it's probably firmware/config related. Try re-doing everything.

Follow this method step by step:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

It takes a bit more time but it's never failed me.

Good luck
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Check also DOS version on both master and companion. Sometimes firmware version only is upgraded, but not DOS version.
For last version, you should see firmware 13.1.3 and DOS 2.2.4.
Thanks a lot, I thought I had deleted this post but it seems I failef.

The issue is fixed and was with the Bluray player. I had to change the default audio digital out from Auto to PCM.

Sorry for the false alert and thanks again for the answer. I have moved to remaining issue about trigger to another thread dedicated to trigger.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
i had a very similar problem after I attempted to reconfigure my dual monos by editing an existing online configuration.    It's not clear from your post if you editing an existing config to change the IP address settings or if you started a new config from scratch.   When you want to make any change to a dual mono configuration, you really need to start with a new configuration.    So, is there a chance this occurred after editing an existing configuration?

A number of us have logged tickets with Devialet about this.    The last answer received was to just always start a new configuration.   That sucks but it is what it is.   If it turns out to be the same problem for you, be sure to log a ticket and let them know about the problem it caused.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
A helpful "safety net" I've adopted is always to use a file comparison (aka "diff") tool to compare updated or newly-built config files with previous versions. If you see any differences in areas you didn't think you'd changed, other than the CRC and datestamp, you can double-check the new configuration. That has helped me spot a few mis-configurations in the past. Free or low-cost diff tools are available for both Macs and PCs.

As @mdconnelly said, it shouldn't be necessary but it helps.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Make sure that DPM is turned off while creating a new config. Default is 'On'.
Also make sure that the BluRay is outputting PCM format vs 'BitStream' or any other encoded format.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(10-May-2020, 22:35)sam1000 Wrote: Also make sure that the BluRay is outputting PCM format vs  'BitStream' or any other encoded format.

Yes, this was the problem indeed!

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard
Why turning DPM mode of when doing a new config file?!
Weren’t you btw doing beta testing of new firmware. What’s status on that?
(10-May-2020, 03:48)bernardl Wrote: Hi team,

I have spend the best part of an hour searching the forum, but couldn't find anything identical so here I am.

After an initially successful configuration of my-half-new-second hand 1000 Pro CI, I have noticed the warmer companion unit and started to read the threads about the value of the trigger cable.

So I tried that, probably not quite the right way (I later found this post and will try again) because after the set up the companion would stay stuck in "debug mode" after booting and no sound came out of the speakers connected to it. I tried again, noticed different contents of the firmware files on the SD card of the companion and decided to reinstall the latest version on both master and companion to ensure both units had exactly the same level of firmware and OS, without touching the config files. Update went well.

But since I was stlll facing the issue on the companion after reboot, I decided to give up on trigger for now and to go for a super simple brand new config where the only things I changed was the ethernet address in which I input a fixed IP and deactivation of the 2 analog RCA inputs and Opt input. 

I didn't touch anything else. I disconnected the trigger cable also and loaded the 2 SD cards in master and companion and the companion booted normally this time... good news or so I thought.

I then played a tune from Roon through ethernet Air and... heard an awful and large sound coming from the speakers. I stopped that immediately. Disconnected and reconnected both power cables, tried again and the issue was now gone... I thought I was back on the right (if warm) tracks and happily played some of my favorite tunes and found the sound much better than in my initial dual mono test (I think there was indeed some firmware difference between the units). I was in fact sounding plain amazing!

I then, just to be sure you know, tried switching the input on the master to the Digital RCA connected to my Bluray player since I had promised my daughter better sound through the amazing new speakers when playing movies instead of the subpar sound of our 9 years old pana plasma TV... and... drums rolling... same story... an awful sound coming out of the speakers...

I am still in the process of debugging this, but has anyone experienced similar issues and what could be a solution?

Cheers,
Bernard

Congrats on the new amp!
If one unit continues to be warmer than the other it might be due to the bottom copper cover on the warmer not being tightly coupled to the thermal pad inside. Carefully tightening the screws (something like one turn) may help. Not so much the screws along the edge as these fix the cover to the chassis, but the other ones. I did this on my 250 Pro CI and lowered the temperature around 7-9 degrees!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB