Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kunter's system
(04-Sep-2014, 23:39)Confused Wrote: Otherwise, any other positioning tips? (Other than the normal positioning stuff) I suspect your main tip might be to spend many, many hours carefully experimenting! (Also, please let me know if you ever need to sell these in a hurry at a very cheap price)

I have found that the Get Better Sound methodology of Jim Smith is invaluable in speaker positioning. Unlike other methods (like equilateral triangle, Cardas golden ration etc) which prescribe rules, GBS provides a framework. Applying the framework allows one to find the best position for your speakers in your room.

It is a process but the time invested reaps (did for me) rewards that far outstrip other tweaks e.g. cables etc.

I would also recommend using room measurement software like REW to get an objective picture of what is happening in the room. I use XTZ Room Analyser II Pro.

Finally i would only purchase the GBS book - the DVD was disappointing and not useful as a standalone purchase. I can't think of money better spent in the world of audio.

Sorry about the thread hijack
(05-Sep-2014, 06:04)colonel66 Wrote: I would also recommend using room measurement software like REW to get an objective picture of what is happening in the room. I use XTZ Room Analyser II Pro.
This looks like an interesting subject for a new thread?

(05-Sep-2014, 06:04)colonel66 Wrote: Sorry about the thread hijack

If @Kunter gets upset with you about this, and sets the Rockports after you, you simply do not stand a chance.
(05-Sep-2014, 07:39)Confused Wrote: If @Kunter gets upset with you about this, and sets the Rockports after you, you simply do not stand a chance.

yip my Vivid G1's "only" weigh 80kg
That's just about the biggest "only" I've seen for a while! Joking apart, the Vivid's are another speaker that uses the side mounted opposed driver arrangement, we should perhaps start a club? (Membership 3 people and counting) I'm wondering if there is something about the bass accuracy and clarity that the opposed driver arrangement offers that somehow appeals to those who appreciate Devialet amplification? As a final note, it has to be said that there are some very tasty speakers lurking around this forum, I must stop typing, I'm starting to drool.
(04-Sep-2014, 23:39)Confused Wrote: @Kunter - Interesting comments about speaker positioning. I think they possibly share some characteristics of the KEF Blades, with opposed side mounted drivers. With my Blades, everything sounds exactly as it should, but there is one very deep bass frequency where I think they "null" slightly. This is in a very narrow band (almost atomically precise) and at a very low frequency, although they sound fine with even deeper bass. How low bass am I talking about? Well, the kind of bass you get in about 1 track in 50 listening to electronic music. With side mounted drivers they obviously interact with the walls, each other and so on, I suspect there might be some quite complex things going on! Have you ever noticed anything like this? Otherwise, any other positioning tips? (Other than the normal positioning stuff) I suspect your main tip might be to spend many, many hours carefully experimenting! (Also, please let me know if you ever need to sell these in a hurry at a very cheap price)

Smile

Altairs have side firing bass but only one sub driver per channel, so there is no opposing driver. They fire only towards the space inside the loudspeakers.
I am well aware of the advantages of opposed side mounted drivers, the biggest being rigidity, and Altair addresses that with simple brute force: VERY HEAVY and rigid cabinet. You simply don't hear any sound by tapping on the surface. If they follow you, you definitely won't stand a chance Smile

For room positioning, I like following the WASP (Wilson Audio Speaker Placement) methodology first. It looks a bit funny from outside, but you basically walk near the area where you want to place your loudspeakers, and listen to the neutrality of your voice. Seating someone at the listening position who is familiar with your voice will also help. There is generally a rectangular shaped area where everything falls into place. Outside that, you start to hear some metallic character on your own voice. This is the easy and quick part, but very important for the next step.

Now, you place your loudspeaker in that rectangle. The bigger the room, the bigger the rectangle. In my case they are big enough to house all the drivers and the humongous port in the back of Altair. Play something with a male voice you are familiar with, and listen. Move the speakers a little at a time backwards / forwards and sideways to try and catch best definition on the voice, never leaving the rectangle. And hence the reason one old friend who thought me this method calls it : voicing.

Next is the toe in. It has two effects. The obvious one is the soundstage, but more importantly it changes how the speakers base is loading your room. In my case, even tiniest changes in the toe-in angle affected the in room bass response. For this I prefer recordings with double bass and human voice. Cassandra Wilson, Love is Blindness is a favourite of mine for this purpose...

Last but not least is minor changes in your listening position. Something with a little more bass slam works good for this. Like electronic bass for example. Pull your seat a little farther away from your everyday position. While listening to the music, move your head forward slowly to catch where you can hear more impact especially for the start of the bass notes. I am talking about a few centimeters. This will be your ideal position. No need to mention to stay away from the back wall...

Also, heavy curtains (or similar treatment) behind you help a lot for soundstage and depth.

For your case, I would suggest to fiddle with toe in. Minuscule changes will help you. You are both lucky and unlucky for having dipole bass. It generally is better for fighting room modes ( I used to be very happy with my quad's) but they excite more room modes, so placing and toe-in angle needs to be very precise...

Hope this helps.

And no, I don't think I will sell these, not to very cheap prices anyways Smile

Cheers,

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Kunter - very interesting comments regarding toe in, thanks for this. I had thought that with the side mounted bass drivers toe in would make a minor difference. However, from your experience it looks more like major than minor. I'll try this out when I get some time. If it does does have a major influence, I'll need to be careful not to make many things worse solving a minor issue! Lots of time, care and patients needed I think.

@colonel66 - I hadn't even thought of using any room measurement kit, an interesting idea though, I'll certainly do a bit of research regarding this, thanks for the links.
A bit late to add a comment here... But having seen & listened Kunter's system live I can only vouch for excellent sound it's pumping into his man cave. Furthermore, the whole system from rack to turntable and obviously speakers look excellent.

Regarding the location of speakers, Kunter did also spend his time and configured my speakers. It really makes a difference. Thanks a lot mate
WOW!! Nice rig mate!! Respect!!
[Image: 16lz4w1.jpg]