Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
Thanks, @Confused, for your comments. Let me clarify right away that it was a joint effort to get all the questions answered, but any mistakes or omissions are my own. (On that note, I can see immediately that I've consistently mis-spelled Mathieu's name - will go back and correct that.)

To pick up on point 6: my notes are rather sparse except to say that USB was the way to go for highest resolution, but I also recall that Mathieu said it already supports 32-bit sample depth.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Wow so much detail guys! Brilliant job.

However! No pictures?! 

I am now digesting all this and will come back to you with additional comments. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(12-Jul-2018, 20:47)thumb5 Wrote:
(12-Jul-2018, 20:25)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Was it good?! Smile

Yes, I thought it was excellent.  Great to get a chance to talk to Joachim and Mathieu, and it gave me a much more positive feeling about what Devialet are doing these days.  They outlined what's in the pipeline for the rest of this year (at least) and I think are being more realistic about what they plan to deliver and when.  I got the impression that the hyperbolic marketing might be out of favour and realism is seen as a good thing.  More to come...

Ok so this is what I reported too after Munich... nice to see that you agree.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guys... was any discussion had re Qobuz with Core Infinity? I believe this was promised at some point. Or are we expecting Roon to integrate this? Not necessarily a bad thing, just asking!

Guillaume 

UK
Thank you for a great report. And when RAAT comes I probably too will get Roon.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
(12-Jul-2018, 23:17)GuillaumeB Wrote: Guys... was any discussion had re Qobuz with Core Infinity? I believe this was promised at some point. Or are we expecting Roon to integrate this? Not necessarily a bad thing, just asking!

Guillaume 

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.  Joachim demonstrated Qobuz support via Airplay, and I asked him about the possibility of direct support for Qobuz within the CI.  He didn't exactly rule it out, but his reply was definitely more focused on the fact that Roon and Qobuz are now talking again, which (we assume) is likely to result in Qobuz being available via Roon.  In any case, native support for Qobuz didn't feature in the list of top three or four priorities for the CI software.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(12-Jul-2018, 23:17)GuillaumeB Wrote: Guys... was any discussion had re Qobuz with Core Infinity? I believe this was promised at some point. Or are we expecting Roon to integrate this? Not necessarily a bad thing, just asking!

Guillaume 

Hi Guillaume

When Enno came to do his talk at OAC he said that Qobuz would definately be incorporated into Roon at some stage (hopefully later this year)

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
@thumb5
Thanks for the great report, Ian. Going back to A5: you say that Devialet now recommend RCA-RCA connection between units. Did they say why? Are we to assume that sound quality will be better using this method of connection, rather than RCA-AES/EBU?
I guess this will be good news for people who have had problems with which resistance cable to use and having to use 75/110 Ohm transformers, and problems with longer cables (as you pointed out), or perhaps this is the reason they now recommend RCA-RCA, and nothing to do with SQ?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(12-Jul-2018, 23:32)thumb5 Wrote:

Guillaume 

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that.  Joachim demonstrated Qobuz support via Airplay, and I asked him about the possibility of direct support for Qobuz within the CI.  He didn't exactly rule it out, but his reply was definitely more focused on the fact that Roon and Qobuz are now talking again, which (we assume) is likely to result in Qobuz being available via Roon.  In any case, native support for Qobuz didn't feature in the list of top three or four priorities for the CI software.
Thanks for the report! 

Good to see that RAAT is their highest priority.  

I currently stream Qobuz via AirPlay - which is easy to do.  While the SQ is acceptable, it is not as good as Chromecast (which does not support gapless playback with Qobuz) and well below Roon Air.  The other point is that AirPlay is limited to CD quality.  I am glad that there is further confirmation that Roon and Qobuz are serious about getting together.
(13-Jul-2018, 00:16)Axel Wrote: @thumb5
Thanks for the great report, Ian. Going back to A5: you say that Devialet now recommend RCA-RCA connection between units. Did they say why? Are we to assume that sound quality will be better using this method of connection, rather than RCA-AES/EBU?
I guess this will be good news for people who have had problems with which resistance cable to use and having to use 75/110 Ohm transformers, and problems with longer cables (as you pointed out), or perhaps this is the reason they now recommend RCA-RCA, and nothing to do with SQ?

Same question from me.

Now apart from loving my 440pro ci (always dream it will deliver 600watt per channel but forget it now), I love Devialet company itself because it got Mathieu and Joachim and all the staff in the company who try their best to improve their products, and they now can be more feel free to speak.