Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency Issue Question
Hi folks,

I have an old phantom classic and silver both controlled by a dialog. The dialog is connected by toslink to my Sony 80 inch TV.

Now I have an irritating problem with the lip sync being out and I have tried to adjust the AV Sync on the app on my phone for each phantom and it doesn’t make any difference. Going from extreme of 0mS to 1000mS makes not a jot of difference to either Phantom.

Anyone have any suggestions as I have binned my traditional home cinema setup to go with Devialet and now I’m starting to regret it.

Cheers
It sounds like you're on DOS2... the most surest way to eliminating sync issues is to put the phantoms in optical direct mode...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of queries;

1. Are there any side effects of doing this direct mode?
2. How do you do it as I haven’t seen this as an option in the app?
3. Is the connectivity the same (i.e. optical to the dialog)?
4. why doesn’t the AV sync on the app do anything?
(08-Jan-2021, 01:57)Pioneer123 Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of queries;

1. Are there any side effects of doing this direct mode?
2. How do you do it as I haven’t seen this as an option in the app?
3. Is the connectivity the same (i.e. optical to the dialog)?
4. why doesn’t the AV sync on the app do anything?

have u tried connecting toslink directly to one of the phantom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi @Pioneer123

For two years I had given up to use my Phantoms for home cinema, but now I do, and I am very happy with the results. The only stable solution I know of is Direct Optical Mode, which requires a bit of tinkering.

Benefits of Direct Optical Mode
  • The speaker will perform without any noticeable delay. (<10 ms)
Downsides / Things to consider with Direct Optical Mode
  • The speaker will not be controllable through the App and its not going to have WIFI enabled.
  • The speaker will run at a "static volume" (that you can configure when you setup the Direct Optical Mode, but you won't be able to use the app, nor a Devialet-hardware controller to modify it)
How to enable for a speaker in DOS(don't know about DOS1)
  • Connect your speaker with Ethernet to your network.
  • Reset the speaker completely (hold the power button until you hear the "reset sound" and wait for it to reboot. You can also reset it from the Web GUI)
  • After booting point your browser (from PC) to the IP-address of the speaker. 
  • From web-GUI enable Direct Optical, and set what "static volume" you prefer. 
  • Configure the channel (Left or Right, or perhaps Stereo if you only use one Phantom)
How to I figure out the IP of the Phantom?
You should be able to tell the IP by logging into your router and checking which devices are connected to your network.

Important notes
I highly recommend that you configure the volume to something like 25% while testing to avoid accidents.

Tips
Extract the Audio Signal "before" you output video to the TV. Most TV's add latency, so if you pass Optical out from your Sony TV, I suspect you will get delay.
(On my new LG OLED I noted ~80ms delay if feeding audio out from the TV)

Ditch the dialogue. I don't think that is going to work here sadly.. so you need to feed each Phantom directly with Optical.

Volume Control
While running at a static volume can be ok for some, most want to adjust the volume, and that's possible, as long as you can "adjust the signal" before it goes into the Phantom. The way I do that, is by extracting the Audio signal from the HDMI cable, using an HDMI Audio Extractor, and send it to a Bluesound Node 2i (which can adjust the volume) through optical, and then output it using optical as well from the Node 2i to an Optical splitter and then to my both Phantoms. That said, I can't recommend Bluesound Node 2i because I've had countless Network issues with Bluesound-equipment, but there should be other options for this as well..

There's some more details here:
DOS2 Optical Direct Instructions (3) (devialetchat.com)

Feel free to ask if you have any more quesitons, or I missed something Smile
This evening while messing with the settings menu in my Apple TV (4th Gen) I went to the Video and Video tab and noticed a Wireless Audio Sync tab to align video playback with Airplay or Bluetooth audio output. Perhaps this could offer an alternative solution to try.
(22-Jan-2021, 06:17)JDtheJD Wrote: This evening while messing with the settings menu in my Apple TV (4th Gen) I went to the Video and Video tab and noticed a Wireless Audio Sync tab to align video playback with Airplay or Bluetooth audio output.  Perhaps this could offer an alternative solution to try.

When I travel I bring 1 or 2 Reactors with me.  I use the airplay feature to stream audio to the reactors from the appletv.  Unfortunately, I found that I could only get 1 reactor to work reliably using this method.  Maybe your experiene will be different.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(22-Jan-2021, 15:04)njaiswal Wrote: When I travel I bring 1 or 2 Reactors with me.  I use the airplay feature to stream audio to the reactors from the appletv.  Unfortunately, I found that I could only get 1 reactor to work reliably using this method.  Maybe your experiene will be different.

Wow, your signature is epic: 6 x Phantom Gold, 2 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900

Are some/most of these Phantoms in a multichannel setup?

If yes can you say how they are connected to your processor? What cable types to connect from processor to each Phantom?

And photos ! 

You are the Phantom King  Smile
(25-Jan-2021, 15:02)torikelz4545 Wrote:
(22-Jan-2021, 15:04)njaiswal Wrote: When I travel I bring 1 or 2 Reactors with me.  I use the airplay feature to stream audio to the reactors from the appletv.  Unfortunately, I found that I could only get 1 reactor to work reliably using this method.  Maybe your experiene will be different.

Wow, your signature is epic: 6 x Phantom Gold, 2 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900

Are some/most of these Phantoms in a multichannel setup?

If yes can you say how they are connected to your processor? What cable types to connect from processor to each Phantom?

And photos ! 

You are the Phantom King  Smile
LOL... Here are a couple of pics of the multi-channel installs.  

Take a look at this thread for details of installation
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...-and-Dante

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)