Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets hear it on the reactors! a marvel of engineering or just a downscaled phantom?
I know there are some other threads out there on Reactor reviews etc. but I really wanted to get some early reactor adopters subjective and emotional gut responses. Is this a good/great/amazing speaker (stereo pending) or does it lack something with only 3 speakers?

Am thinking about loosing my single silver and going for 2 reactors.

Many thanks for your thoughts!
As an owner of Golds I kind of don’t want these to be better!! Smile

But if sound quality is agreed to be on par, and it’s only about max volume, or a few extra hz of inaudible bass and treble..... I would seriously consider swapping as I rarely play mine above half way, generally less Smile
A full range driver can be really good - look at the Audience Clairaudient speaker which gets amazing reviews. I wonder if the Reactor driver is really good.
(22-Dec-2018, 19:07)Jamington2004 Wrote: As an owner of Golds I kind of don’t want these to be better!! Smile

But if sound quality is agreed to be on par, and it’s only about max volume, or a few extra hz of inaudible bass and treble..... I would seriously consider swapping as I rarely play mine above half way, generally less Smile

Yes I agree, never felt I needed the extra power, apart for impressing my friends or "communicating" with the neighborghs
(22-Dec-2018, 19:16)Mr_Bill Wrote: A full range driver can be really good - look at the Audience Clairaudient speaker which gets amazing reviews. I wonder if the Reactor driver is really good.

Interesting! 
Always felt the mids we the Achilles Heel of the Silver phantoms 
I have a pair of golds and absolutely love them to death. Just got two reactors 900w and connected one to my pc via aux. do not worry I’ve done a literal side by side comparison and as my girlfriend put it, the golds sound like we’re in a club and the one reactor connected to my pc playing youtube music videos, sounds like a complete home theatre system. I’ve read some people were concerned about the tweeter not being titanium like the gold phantom but I have to say the highs are absolutely crystal clear and sound great. The bass is also very very impressive but not even close to the gold which is to be expected. If anything the reactor just makes me appreciate how powerful the golds really are but at the same time I’m simply amazed at the sound quality from the reactor. I’m very happy with both and can’t wait for the stereo pairing feature update.
(22-Dec-2018, 16:17)ChalleB Wrote: I know there are some other threads out there on Reactor reviews etc. but I really wanted to get some early reactor adopters subjective and emotional gut responses. Is this a good/great/amazing speaker (stereo pending) or does it lack something with only 3 speakers?

Am thinking about loosing my single silver and going for 2 reactors.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

I have a pair of gold and they had a baby recently: a single reactor 600.  The sound is very similar to my hear at reasonable volumes. It sounds surprisingly linear from very low to very high frequency, with no audible distorsion or noise. If you want to listen upclose (on a desk) you have to lower the volume otherwise the highs sound harsh. From 2 to 10 meters aways the highs can disperse enough and they sound 95% as lively and velvety as a single mono gold phantom, though probably not as extended and precise  in the highs.
I  listen to them in my study and on my terrace and swimming pool. They sound best outdoor as there is no room reflection creating bumps in the lower mids. The amount and dynamic range is just as realistic as a live concert, if you turn them at a realistic (live) volume of a small jazz band. The bass extension and "muscle" even when listening outdoor is unbelievable: they really rock because the rythmic line (bass and drum) sound so "live". Nothing compares for this size (3 liters and 4kgs). It's the ideal "pool party" tool, where stereo does not matter much (suppose you have a small jazz or folk band 10 meters away: it does not sound "stereo" to your hears, does it ?
Of course, when stereo comes, a pair will sound even more amazing when listening in a small room from 2 to 5 meters away (because that is when you lack the stereo effect with a mono reactor), just like their bigger parents since their DNA inside is the same...
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Just FYI, I've not heard the Reactor but really wanted it for the size.

I chat with three different personnel at 3 different stores who tested them extensively, and one of their global team leaders. Mentioned that my benchmark is the Gold (I also had Silvers which I felt were a far cry from the Golds.) and all I was asking about was audio quality at 85db - well within the capability of all the speakers. Basically the consensus of all four individuals is that for the size, they thought that the Reactor was fantastic but that it is noticeably a step down from the full sized Phantoms in terms of audio quality. Just a FYI.

The Reactor is amazing - one can just throw a pair of them in a roller, with space left over for some clothes, and board a flight with it. Hard to beat. Not even the KEF LSX is as small.
What would you do with a pair?! Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Dec-2018, 23:36)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What would you do with a pair?! Wink

Plug in two crossover cables from the pre-outs of your Expert and enjoy wonderful stereo sound of course.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.