Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
Anyone got experience with the Linn Sneaky DSM? Far more reasonable price then the other Linn streamers. Anyone can tell us how the sound is compared to the more expensive models?
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(13-Oct-2015, 07:04)KraaijCheck Wrote: Anyone got experience with the Linn Sneaky DSM? Far more reasonable price then the other Linn streamers. Anyone can tell us how the sound is compared to the more expensive models?

Nobody??
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
There was a useful comparison of the Sneaky against other Linn streamers a few months ago - seems its not as good as the more expensive models.  No surprise, I suppose...

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...5#pid18295
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Finlay i got digital cable with BNC to test Linn Akurate DS/1 through its digital out to bypass its DAC and to do it "Right" strait in to Devialet's DAC.

What i discovered is a little more resolution maybe , more transparency and a little taste of analytical setup, that's when bypassing the Linn's DAC,
on other hand when using analog output the sound was more laid back , less resolution but more pleasant and analog in some way.
i think , but i need to test it some more, that when using Linn's DAC connected to analog input of Devilaet the bass a little less precise and a little smear.

For analog connection i used RCA (LUXMAN JPR-10000) , for digital Vertex AQ Illimani .

I thinking of getting second hand Klimax DS/1 , and even though its not new its still will be pricey ,
so, since i don't think i could take it for home demo, is it worth it ?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Little update,
i get used more and more for SQ that i get out of my D800 paired with Linn ADS through Digital out.
So meanwhile quite happy Smile
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(10-Nov-2015, 16:02)Stigmater Wrote: Little update,
i get used more and more for SQ that i  get out of my D800 paired with Linn ADS  through Digital out.

Why don't you want to try specialized network transport like Auralic Aries or Arurender N100, N10? I bet they will give you (much) better SQ than Linn's digital BNC output.

And I doubt Klimax DS will be a worthy purchase in your case. 
I would strongly recommend you to try it before purchasing. Klimax DS sounds amazing when connected through a preamp or straight to power amp(s).
In your case the SQ will depend a lot on the Devialet ADC quality. I doubt it is good enough to show full potential of Klimax DS.

P.S. If you want to try Klimax DS, try it with a power amp (Klimax Twin or any other comparable) and with your Devialet. It will be interesting to read about your impressions.
(14-Nov-2015, 18:11)dubselect Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 16:02)Stigmater Wrote: Little update,
i get used more and more for SQ that i  get out of my D800 paired with Linn ADS  through Digital out.

Why don't you want to try specialized network transport like Auralic Aries or Arurender N100, N10? I bet they will give you (much) better SQ than Linn's digital BNC output.

And I doubt Klimax DS will be a worthy purchase in your case. 
I would strongly recommend you to try it before purchasing. Klimax DS sounds amazing when connected through a preamp or straight to power amp(s).
In your case the SQ will depend a lot on the Devialet ADC quality. I doubt it is good enough to show full potential of Klimax DS.

P.S. If you want to try Klimax DS, try it with a power amp (Klimax Twin or any other comparable) and with your Devialet. It will be interesting to read about your impressions.

I had Aurender X100L for about 6-8 month and to be honest, in my setup the excitement after switching from Mac mini faded away very quickly.
In order to, some how get boost in SQ I even purchased TotalDac d1 USB cable, but in my setup i didn't heard any difference between 3$ Canon printer USB cable that i took from work and TotalDac.
At some point i started to think that Devialet DAC is the main issue here, then totally by chance i took Linn ADS for a test.
Linn Akurate with BNC digital out gave me a step up in SQ
Although, the Aurender control app on iPad is the best that i have seen, and native Linn Kinsky APP is really sucks , i found out that i can use JRiver server (50$) through UPnP with Client app (6$) on iPad that gave me 90% of what i had with Aurender APP + better looking and with Linn SQ .

I just yesterday ordered BNC to XLR adapter to connect it in to Devialet's EBU input, ill update when ill test it .
i guess the next step is TotalDac server Smile too bad i don't have dealer that sells its so i could test it,
the only way is blindly buying it .
Hmm, I was able to compare Aurender X100 with MacBook Pro (jRiver). X100 sounded more analog-like, more tuneful, it has no digital harshness. Mac sounded clinical, unnatural. The difference was not big, but it was clear and obvious.
I suppose it might depend a lot on a system.
I doubted Linn digital output can sound better, but it looks like it does.
Maybe the problem is in Devialet USB input which is not as good as S/PDIF?
No, it's the source. Standard PC's/Mac's generate tons of RFI noise and consequently have noisy USB outputs. USB inputs provide little isolation, full galvanic isolation in inputs like common for ethernet and S/PDIF is very hard and done by only a very few manufacturers so noise gets into the DAC/amp.

So we have to combat noise before it enters the USB input and there's quite a lot of means to do just that, from hardware (linear power supplies, USB filters, USB regenerators, ...) to software.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands