Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
I have experimented in the past with Linn Klimax gear (DS/KK) by altering the torques on the circuit boards and the grounding bolt - it does actually make quite a large difference (decent improvements can be made and a few dealers make use of these tricks) and Linn are one of many manufacturers who don't seem to use accurate torque settings on the fasteners on their device innards. The torque of the bolt which has the earth connection to the chassis/case makes quite a large difference on the Linn and I really think the Entreq stuff is solving some of the problems with conductivity between earth and chassis ground and circuit boards. Funny that the Linn owners don't seem to have taken to Entreq much.
Devialet don't seem to be quite so dependent on grounding via the chassis/case but there's probably still some element of it happening which again may explain why Entreq seems to be effective.
Oh I forgot - Linn's Kazoo and the Tidal integration on there is very impressive. I haven't seen Kazoo for a while and it was a bit buggy last time I tried (only a few months ago and just using UPNP) but the work they've put in is clearly paying off. Nice to see some decent control software for a change!
Thanks for your findings GuillaumeB and Rufus. A very interesting read!

Re the Linn sound, I really like Linn products, but a bit too polite indeed. When I lived in the Netherlands, the local dealer had both Naim and Linn. Both very good, but I always preferred the Chord Electronics amp I had myself.
NAS: LaCie Cloudbox
Streaming bridge: Auralic Aries
DAC/Amplifier: Devialet 200
Speakers: Magico S1
Digital cables: Audioquest Cinnamon
Loudspeaker cables: Vertere Pulse-X Mini
For the first time I'm intrigued to ask for a Linn product to try in my system.

Thanks Guillaume and Rufus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Now if Linn would just make a transport... The problem is that wouldn't fit in with their product ecosphere so it's probably not going to happen!
(04-Mar-2015, 10:41)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Now if Linn would just make a transport...  The problem is that wouldn't fit in with their product ecosphere so it's probably not going to happen!

I don't think they will, as they deliberately stopped manufacturing CD players, stating that in their view streaming is the future.
NAS: LaCie Cloudbox
Streaming bridge: Auralic Aries
DAC/Amplifier: Devialet 200
Speakers: Magico S1
Digital cables: Audioquest Cinnamon
Loudspeaker cables: Vertere Pulse-X Mini
Sorry, I meant streaming transport (without a DAC) as opposed to CD.
They effectively do actually make streaming-only transports but only acting as a source for an Exakt system, and not using the good old digital protocols (over AES/SPDIF/USB etc.) required by the Devialet. The DSM range have digital-outs useful for Devialet but they also have DACs with analogue-out and pre-amps included which is not really helpful for us.

Just been reading about the newly-announced Linn DS models/upgrades - it's getting very confusing!
I think the Akurate Exakt DSM is just that with some additional inputs. SPDIF out and the Linn specific Exakt outputs. Does not have an analog section... Not sure about price value though...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(01-Mar-2015, 19:53)GuillaumeB Wrote: Tomorrow I should be getting my hands on an Akurate DS demo unit. This is to test its digital output and in particular Tidal integration from both a usability and SQ perspective.

Rufus is going to lend me his Transparent Ref XL SPDIF so that we can compare against my totaldac d1 server as a transport (the totaldac has a Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU connection to the Devialet, the Linn Akurate DS only has an SPDIF output). I think it will also be interesting to connect the Akurate to the totaldac, making use of the totaldac's powerful reclocker. 

I'll post some screen shots of Linn's Kazoo too, so you can all see what Tidal looks like in the application.

Guillaume

Since the Akurate DSM is a digital player and a pre-amp and you already own the Devialet 800, why not just get an Akurate DS?

It's probably cheaper and you don't really need a pre-amp.
(07-Mar-2015, 20:06)samurai7595 Wrote:
(01-Mar-2015, 19:53)GuillaumeB Wrote: Tomorrow I should be getting my hands on an Akurate DS demo unit. This is to test its digital output and in particular Tidal integration from both a usability and SQ perspective.

Rufus is going to lend me his Transparent Ref XL SPDIF so that we can compare against my totaldac d1 server as a transport (the totaldac has a Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU connection to the Devialet, the Linn Akurate DS only has an SPDIF output). I think it will also be interesting to connect the Akurate to the totaldac, making use of the totaldac's powerful reclocker. 

I'll post some screen shots of Linn's Kazoo too, so you can all see what Tidal looks like in the application.

Guillaume

Since the Akurate DSM is a digital player and a pre-amp and you already own the Devialet 800, why not just get an Akurate DS?

It's probably cheaper and you don't really need a pre-amp.

Hi samurai7595 as I explained earlier in this thread it was my original premise to try a Linn Akurate DS but my local dealer offered me a Akurate DSM (latest model with Exakt links) instead. Seeing as I only wanted to test the digital out (and Linn's Tidal integration) I figured they would be the same from a functionality/SQ point of view. 

Whilst the Kazoo control point is fantastic and the Tidal integration very slick I still couldn't justify spending £4,500 on something that I would only use for streaming Tidal. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK