Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magico A3
Yeah, point(s) taken. I suppose £12000 still buys you a lot of speaker.
I look forward to reading reviews, and impressions of anyone going to the KJ West One presentation.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Whichever way you cut it £12,000 is still a big wad of dosh - it better be good at that price!

I'll stick my neck out and say that it will be competitive with the Q3 which I think is now retired.

Pre production review here - http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.ph...-the-sound

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
I thought the Magico A3 at last night's KJ event were very impressive. They played a variety of tracks from a server with DCS and D'Agostino equipment. They are definitely a full range speaker - a really big soundstage, great bass.

I thought perhaps they were a bit 'thinner' sounding than my S3, but very little in it really. Alon Wolf stated that the S1 is still a better speaker than the A3, has better drive units and crossover. He said that if you want refinement you should get an S1, but if you want a more full range speaker, then the A3 is what you should get.

I think if I were in the market for a speaker now I'd just buy the A3 over equivalents from Sonus Faber, B&W, ML etc but all of the first large batch of A3 sold out in 2 days apparently, and there won't be any more for 5 months.

I don't think anyone would be unhappy with the A3, I couldn't really hear anything to criticise at all.
Devialet D400, Magico S3, Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus, Aurender N100H, PS Audio Premier, QNAP NAS
(09-Feb-2018, 10:51)Unclemonty Wrote: I thought the Magico A3 at last night's KJ event were very impressive.  They played a variety of tracks from a server with DCS and D'Agostino equipment.  They are definitely a full range speaker - a really big soundstage, great bass.  

I thought perhaps they were a bit 'thinner' sounding than my S3, but very little in it really.  Alon Wolf stated that the S1 is still a better speaker than the A3, has better drive units and crossover.  He said that if you want refinement you should get an S1, but if you want a more full range speaker, then the A3 is what you should get.

I think if I were in the market for a speaker now I'd just buy the A3 over equivalents from Sonus Faber, B&W, ML etc but all of the first large batch of A3 sold out in 2 days apparently, and there won't be any more for 5 months.  

I don't think anyone would be unhappy with the A3, I couldn't really hear anything to criticise at all.

Hi - I was at the demo too and agreed that it sounded great. I didn't hear enough to do a proper review, but the A3s certainly presented music on a big scale - huge soundstage and loads of presence. Very clear, natural and dynamic.

I though the mid-range driver really shone (Alon Wolf - "yeah, we're known for that") and the bass was decent; I listen to a lot of acoustic type music and am not a big fan of a boomy bottom end. The A3s weren't boomy, as such, but the more refined two-way S1's would probably be a better option for me (subject to £, of course)

Really hard to see how you could beat these for the money - excellent value, particularly given the build quality and lineage. I can really see the point now of all the engineering that goes into those cabinets - the only thing that moves is the driver, as it's meant to. 

Other things worth mentioning - the Q series is being phased out and the A platform is likely to have other speakers joining the A3; it all depends, apparently, on volume. Presumably the margins are lower, so they'll need to sell more to make it worthwhile. And they want to keep the price point reasonably low, according to Alon, otherwise what's the point of an entry level speaker?
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Any word about alternate colours for the A3?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(27-May-2018, 22:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Any word about alternate colours for the A3?

From what I’ve read it’s only available in black.

The A3 has a basic-looking rectangular cabinet made from panels of aluminum, and comes only in black.“

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.p...-the-sound
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(27-May-2018, 22:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Any word about alternate colours for the A3?

As Henry Ford said, you can have the Model "T" in any colour 

AS LONG AS ITS BLACK  Big Grin

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(28-May-2018, 23:16)BrianT Wrote:

Brian

Yeah, exactly. I had read that article actually when they were mentioned previously, and had to rule them out due to the colour despite being really interested. I just wondered if they planned for the future since they apparently spoke about future models and sales volumes. Hopefully they do one colour to see how it goes and if it’s successful they add more.

As for making money from it, I’m struggling to see how a £12,000 pair of speakers wouldn’t have at least a tiny profit margin - that’s hardly entry level for most people; it’s a small car here or probably a house in many parts of the world. Kind of a humbling reminder how lucky anyone is that can afford these, let alone consider them entry level.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-May-2018, 19:33)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-May-2018, 23:16)BrianT Wrote:

Brian

Yeah, exactly. I had read that article actually when they were mentioned previously, and had to rule them out due to the colour despite being really interested. I just wondered if they planned for the future since they apparently spoke about future models and sales volumes. Hopefully they do one colour to see how it goes and if it’s successful they add more.

As for making money from it, I’m struggling to see how a £12,000 pair of speakers wouldn’t have at least a tiny profit margin - that’s hardly entry level for most people; it’s a small car here or probably a house in many parts of the world. Kind of a humbling reminder how lucky anyone is that can afford these, let alone consider them entry level.
I recall Alon saying that a lot depends on how well it sells. A lot of R&D went into the A3, and the margin per speaker isn't that large (apparently). 

However, if they sell loads, there might be scope for different models/flavours.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I´m going to hear the A3 next week with a Devialet 220PRO. If I decide quickly, I could get a pair in the next 4 weeks... I'm curious about it.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana