Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco arrives tonight !
(05-Nov-2015, 11:49)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(05-Nov-2015, 11:30)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I think I may be talking rubbish. I'm sure I saw a mention somewhere about Melco and Roon but I can't find it. Disregard and put it down to my memory loss!

Big Grin

If anyone does have contact with the Melco developers, it would be great to know if they're considering it….

If they are getting Roon then I am really intrested in the Melco.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Me too.

Aurender are definitely planning on doing it.

Hopefully there will be a flood of interesting new hardware too.

And since you don't really need local storage on the device - as this will essentially become like a NAS with what Roon are proposing - something like a 'mini Melco' without the storage would be great. This is of course all assuming that RAAT works when its released and is actually good! Bearing in mind their background, this seems very likely.….

I was hoping Devialet might add the Roon protocol direct, finally allowing users to go back to a 'one box' system that they bought into in the first place (albeit you'd still need a roon server behind the scenes) but sadly that isn't going to happen.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Didn't Guillaume post "Melco are working on something big"? He gave no hint as to what it might be though, the big tease.
(In fairness, I'm guessing there is a very valid reason why he could not say more)
(05-Nov-2015, 12:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Me too.  

Aurender are definitely planning on doing it.  

Hopefully there will be a flood of interesting new hardware too.

And since you don't really need local storage on the device - as this will essentially become like a NAS with what Roon are proposing - something like a 'mini Melco' without the storage would be great.  This is of course all assuming that RAAT works when its released and is actually good! Bearing in mind their background, this seems very likely.….

I was hoping Devialet might add the Roon protocol direct, finally allowing users to go back to a 'one box' system that they bought into in the first place (albeit you'd still need a roon server behind the scenes) but sadly that isn't going to happen.

I also have a NAS today so I dont really need the internal storage of the Melco, maybe it is better soundwise I dont know as the Melco is only built for audio purpose and a NAS is not built only for audio.
If Roon is the next big thing for Melco I hope it`s something like ELAC is doing with the upcoming Discovery streamer were Roon is built in and you dont need a computer to run the server.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Slightly OT: Do Melco N1A owners use the RAID options or span the discs to get 4TB storage?

It seems that, in the event of HD failure, the device has to be returned to Melco. Thus the data on the surviving HD may not be retained anyway. In this event, maybe the spanned array is best - with a 4TB backup drive permanently attached to the 'Backup' USB slot.

Needless to say, I went for the RAID option, and am now rethinking, even with the effort involved. I'm betting that reconfiguring the drives will necessitate reinstallation of MinimServer, but I may be wrong on this.

Fraser
(05-Nov-2015, 09:32)Rufus McDufus Wrote: You need to make sure the 'Settings->USB-DAC->Controller->Mode' is set to '1' to enable Openhome, otherwise it's a very disappointing UPNP experience! The default is '0' but I'm betting the dealer may have changed it?
Also the auto power settings might power it off after 5 minutes with a loud 'click'.

I don't know if you're using Minimserver... The default Twonky server is a bit disappointing IMHO & also annoyingly clears and rescans the database each time you start the Melco from power-up (this is a Twonky 'feature' which they've never provided a setting to disable). Hopefully Melco are going to remediate this fairly soon if rumours of things like Roon are true.

Yes the mode is set to 1 now, as this was why the Lumin app just did not work at all.
I have no idea what I am using, i am presuming it is Twonky.

Tonight neither the Lumin or the Kinsky app recognised my 200. I had to restart both again to get it to work. I was just going to use Kinsky as this worked fine last night.......tonight however not so. Not picking up all my albums, and the playlist function is also not working ......ie only playing a few tracks and then it stops. Also the shuffle feature does not work.

This is so frustrating right now after my problems with AIR i just wanted something that worked flawleslly after set up
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(05-Nov-2015, 10:05)brit Wrote:
(05-Nov-2015, 08:41)Womaz Wrote: First night of listening and well impressed so far. It's funny because I always struggle to hear differences in demos. For me it only happens when I get the chance to sit down and listen on my own, but yes I can hear a difference.
First impressions is it has a fuller bass and definitely a more spacious sound. I loved this about AIR, but this seems to do it better.

Disappointment is the Lumin app, is not really functioning for me. Can't even use a shuffle play facility.
Switched to Kinsky and it's not the best looking app in the world, but it works and that's the main thing. Melco app hopefully will be here soon so this is not a worry.

Off to work and the end of the day can't come quick enough as a full night with my new toy ahead. Funny how a new gadget still gets my pulses racing  Big Grin

Hi Womaz,

Glad to hear that the Melco seems to be making a difference. Has it had any impact on the "brightness" you were experiencing earlier with your system?

David

It is vert early days but my first impressions were that it had not really helped. A few more days will be needed to assess fully though
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Also today I went to work and left the Melco on as I had read somewhere not to power it off every time as it takes ages to restart.
Come in tonight and it had not gone to standby, so I have had to change this to go into standby after 15 mins.
I'm not 100% sure but I think there isn't a 'standby' as such - it's either on or off. It actually has a relay inside which physically switches the unit off! It makes quite a loud click when it does it.
Yes on the advice of my dealer I have turned this back off again. He says just to keep the MELCO on all the time