Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MiniDSP SHD supports Roon RAAT
Good news for Roon users.
The special build of Volumio that Minidsp uses on its SHD units now supports Roon RAAT. The SHD also runs Dirac Live so room corretion is possible. See my post here for more info on that: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Room-cor...1#pid87141
The SHD has a AD converter so one could connect a RIAA and play vinyl with room correction.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Oct-2019, 10:39)ogs Wrote: G
The SHD has a AD converter so one could connect a RIAA and play vinyl with room correction.

By "could", you mean DIY, make you own RIAA EQ curve from scratch.

It's not built in.

That being said....I thought Core Infinity was supposed to have the potential to do these things (e.g. PEQ, room correction), too....

Mini DSP SHD has beaten Core Infinity to the punch, despite coming later.
Also, I don't see a ground connector on the back of the SHD.

Maybe I'm missing it...
No, I mean an actual phono pre/RIAA with a line level signal. There are many alternatives - from turntables with built in phono stages (like the Technics 1500C) to separate units. Or maybe the transducer and EQ units from DS Audio.

I don't think we'll ever see room correction on the CI. EQ maybe...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(20-Oct-2019, 11:52)ogs Wrote: I don't think we'll ever see room correction on the CI. EQ maybe...

Let’s see. Room correction, eq, convolution etc should all be possible on the Expert Pro/CI. It just requires some software development.

I truly hope to see these features on the Expert Pro. Without these features the Devialet seems a bit old-fashioned. There are many other brands that do have a built-in room correction.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Well. I agree. The CI board has capacity to do RC, but I think signal path within the Expert amp/ADH is the same even after CI. The spot where convolution should go (I guess where the upsampling takes place) does not allow for it. EQ, yes - convolution... I doubt it. We 'll see..
Devialetless!
(20-Oct-2019, 11:52)ogs Wrote: No, I mean an actual phono pre/RIAA with a line level signal. There are many alternatives - from turntables with built in phono stages (like the Technics 1500C) to separate units. Or maybe the transducer and EQ units from DS Audio.

I don't think we'll ever see room correction on the CI. EQ maybe...

Oh....so you're just saying it has line level inputs?

Okay, but that has nothing to do with phono, per se. That could be anything -- tape deck, external DAC you like better than the one in the SHD, etc.
(20-Oct-2019, 13:56)petrik Wrote:
(20-Oct-2019, 11:52)ogs Wrote: I don't think we'll ever see room correction on the CI. EQ maybe...

Let’s see. Room correction, eq, convolution etc should all be possible on the Expert Pro/CI. It just requires some software development.

I truly hope to see these features on the Expert Pro. Without these features the Devialet seems a bit old-fashioned. There are many other brands that do have a built-in room correction.

Until they develop software that does something like you mention, I see no reason for me to upgrade to the CI board.

And, yeah, others are catching up / passing in the software area.
(20-Oct-2019, 14:34)ogs Wrote: Well. I agree. The CI board has capacity to do RC, but I think signal path within the Expert amp/ADH is the same even after CI. The spot where convolution should go (I guess where the upsampling takes place) does not allow for it. EQ, yes - convolution... I doubt it. We 'll see..

This doesn't make any sense to me.

The Expert already uses DSP for things like SAM, tone controls, and RIAA EQ. It happens after the ADC and before the last DAC/ADH stage.

Convolution, PEQ, room EQ are all just other uses of the DSP taps.
(20-Oct-2019, 14:39)watchnerd Wrote: Oh....so you're just saying it has line level inputs?

Yes, the SHD has analog IO, so line level inputs + ADC. The SHD Studio is digital IO only.
Devialetless!