Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Moving on to class A/B and separate streamer
I've decided to swap my Dev220 for a combination Kinki Studio EX-M7 amp and a Lumin T2 streamer.  I only stream music via Roon so I don't need digital connections.  I won't need a preamp as the Lumin features Leedh processing, which negates the need for a pre-amp. 

If you have read any of my previous posts, you'll know that at one point I sold my Dev200 and moved to another integrated streamer, with poor results.  That led me to return to the Devialet fold with the 220.  So why do I think this time will be different?  Quite frankly, I don't know but am keeping the Dev220 until I am confident that the change is for the better. 

I've always wanted to try a high-power class A/B amp and also have been intrigued with Lumin technology, especially with its new implementation of Leedh processing.  Plus, a reviewer with whom I am quite familiar exchanged his Luxman amps with the Kinki EX-M7, which drives his Vivid speakers.  I also own Vivid speakers, so I couldn't resist trying what he found to be an exceptional pairing. 

If anyone is interested in my experience, send me a PM and I'll let you know what I think.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Ah, it’s good to be an audiophile! Can’t wait to hear about your comparison. Good luck with it!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(20-Jun-2021, 15:08)mdconnelly Wrote: Ah, it’s good to be an audiophile!  Can’t wait to hear about your comparison.  Good luck with it!

Thanks @mdconnelly!  I'll be sure to provide an update.  I have the Lumin T2 in hand now and the Grimm SQM XLRs have just passed through customs.  Alas, the Kinki EX-M7 is temporarily delayed due to supply chain issues.  But, I can still listen to my Dev220!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I know the end result of this test...DEVIALET a friend of mine is using an Kinki combi with preamp also.

Or the lumin will be the decision maker in this but ampwise not. Kinki is good better then average but not in this class.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
(22-Jun-2021, 13:41)paul.oorbeek Wrote: I know the end result of this test...DEVIALET a friend of mine is using an Kinki combi with preamp also.

Or the lumin will be the decision maker in this but ampwise not. Kinki is good better then average but not in this class.

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul.  What model Devialet was your friend using for the comparison?
I know his set well bec before we both listened to Goldenear bef i moved to Vivid.

His set is in another leak then mine but hè used an bluenote streamer so that can make a difference.

I moved away from Devialet to some high-end DAC /pre- /power- combos.
Couldn't do without the Devialet - SQ, sub integration, silence in the background, low low power use in use and in standby.
Hard to beat for double its price.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(23-Jun-2021, 03:02)ICUDoc Wrote: I moved away from Devialet to some high-end DAC /pre- /power- combos.
Couldn't do without the Devialet - SQ, sub integration, silence in the background, low low power use in use and in standby.

That's a bit of a cryptic post. What did you move to, which is the most expensive and did you go back to Devialet or not?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(23-Jun-2021, 04:31)Pim Wrote:
(23-Jun-2021, 03:02)ICUDoc Wrote: I moved away from Devialet to some high-end DAC /pre- /power- combos.

That's a bit of a cryptic post. What did you move to, which is the most expensive and did you go back to Devialet or not?

Soz, didn't mean to be cryptic!
Sounds crazy (even to me!) but I went from a 440 Pro CI to a MSB DAC and Gryphon Antileon Sig then back to Devialet 1000.
But I have a second room now, and I've ordered  (still awaiting since forever!) an Antileon Evo, which is supposed to be even better than the Sig, so we shall see Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
In posting my decision to move to a separate streamer and A/B amp on a Devialet forum, I fully expected some defense of the Devialet platform. I am still a huge Devialet fan, though!

You really can't beat Devialet for its form factor and convenience. It has terrific SQ as well. On the other hand, I am genuinely curious to try some new audio innovations (Leedh processing on all Lumin streamers) and the expected SQ from an A/B amp paired with my Vivid B1D speakers. In particular, a former Vivid distributor in the U.S. often paired Vivid with Luxman amps and found the pairing to be particularly felicitous. Then, a French audio reviewer who I know quite well sold his Luxman mono amps and replaced them with two Kinki EX-M7 amps, after extensive testing, as he found they paired well with his two Vivid speaker sets. So, it's off to the races for me! I'll keep the Devialet Expert220 Pro until I have done an adequate comparison.

Bottom line: I continue to be a Devialet fan but the audio Smörgåsbord is too enticing not to experiment!