Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Munich 2018
(13-May-2018, 09:23)Confused Wrote:
(12-May-2018, 22:54)IanG-UK Wrote: ...a demonstation area on the ground floor (Giya G1 Spirit driven by 6 Devialet 250s) .......
Many thanks for the comprehensive write up Ian.  (I presume you were armed with your notebook?) I think for me it is the sense you get from meetings like this that matter most, often far more than what is actually said.  So it is good that this aspect appears to be positive.  As ever, time will tell with Devialet.

Re the above, did you get to listen to this?  I have heard the G2's with a 1000 Pro, this was excellent, so I would say the G1's with six Devialet 250's certainly has some potential if set up correctly. Shy

The G1 Spirit has an outboard crossover with the idea that it can be replaced by an all active system. As you said, if set up correctly this would be a killer of a system. makes me want to look for a quick flight to Europe  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-May-2018, 06:30)K4680 Wrote: Hello IanG, thank you for the report, and your commitment!

Thank you for the update, Ian. 

Unfrtunately, after every Devialet announcement, I think of Neville Chamberlain.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(13-May-2018, 09:23)Confused Wrote:
(12-May-2018, 22:54)IanG-UK Wrote: ...a demonstation area on the ground floor (Giya G1 Spirit driven by 6 Devialet 250s) .......
Many thanks for the comprehensive write up Ian.  (I presume you were armed with your notebook?) I think for me it is the sense you get from meetings like this that matter most, often far more than what is actually said.  So it is good that this aspect appears to be positive.  As ever, time will tell with Devialet.

Re the above, did you get to listen to this?  I have heard the G2's with a 1000 Pro, this was excellent, so I would say the G1's with six Devialet 250's certainly has some potential if set up correctly. Shy

You are right - it is the sense you get rather than the content and I felt they were more positive and not "on their guard".

Yes we listened to the G1s. Both with the passive crossover and the active one which had been a joint venture between Vivid and Devialet with Lawrence Dickie much involved. Whilst there were impressive elements the bare room was a limitation, the sound was bouncy and the bass had to be cut back quite a lot. 

I think they see themselves as uniquely placed to deliver these multiroom super expensive systems to those who are not audiophiles but like the best and can afford it, where the competition may be producing equivalent sound quality but are using ugly or brash or big boxes - whereas only(?) Devialet do it with small understated elegant pieces of kit.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(13-May-2018, 09:38)markush Wrote: Any word why we should trust their promises this time?
You know a lot has been said in recent years, also from top management including CEO.

The leadership has changed so that should hopefully be a determining factor.
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

England
I forgot to mention that they are sympathetic to reintroducing the "White Paper" which used to lead the introduction of many technical developments but has not been a feature of late.

So, for the Confused one, we should get a White Paper from Mathieu on the whole issue of clocking!
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England
I have tried to stop worrying about what Devialet say or promise as in the bigger picture is it really that crucial. I just have the 200 model and I have not upgraded to the PRO but every time I stick the music on it brings a smile to my face . I am not meaning to demean anyone’s issues with Devialet as I have a few myself , but appreciate what we have I say.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(13-May-2018, 09:38)markush Wrote: Any word why we should trust their promises this time?
You know a lot has been said in recent years, also from top management including CEO.

You’ve probably answered your own question, ie we shouldn’t.

As far as I can tell though no promises were made and I’d much rather they under promise and over deliver. Ultimately the only thing that matters is what they do, and I guess it will be obvious after 6 months to a year. It doesn’t seem like the new Expert team are at the level of the original creators which I guess is inevitable so let’s just hope they’ve either been constrained over the last couple of years and/or have loads of fantastic new ideas.

Above all hopefully they are perfectionists.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(13-May-2018, 11:50)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

You’ve probably answered your own question, ie we shouldn’t.

As far as I can tell though no promises were made and I’d much rather they under promise and over deliver. Ultimately the only thing that matters is what they do, and I guess it will be obvious after 6 months to a year. It doesn’t seem like the new Expert team are at the level of the original creators which I guess is inevitable so let’s just hope they’ve either been constrained over the last couple of years and/or have loads of fantastic new ideas.

Above all hopefully they are perfectionists.

The only difference I'd guess you and I are aware of is at the partner level where comment from Devialet is probably limited by legal agreements. As far as we know, Monsieur Calmel is still leading the technical aspects and it is entirely clear that Mathieu is still at the heart of the Expert project. They were the original team. 

I don't know about team aspects in relation to Phantom but in the scheme of things that product won't interest many Expert users on DC. Indeed I think that part of the historic problem has been Devialet's attempt to try to deliver Expert and Phantom through the same marketing and sales stream when the reality is that they are pretty much mutually exclusive in terms of potential customer populations.

BTW, they accept the issue of having overpromised and underdelivered and they are committed to the need to change that.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England
(13-May-2018, 11:00)IanG-UK Wrote: I forgot to mention that they are sympathetic to reintroducing the "White Paper" which used to lead the introduction of many technical developments but has not been a feature of late.

So, for the Confused one, we should get a White Paper from Mathieu on the whole issue of clocking!

That would be lovely!  I still have thoughts of running a REF10 10 MHz clock tap to the CI board, although I very much doubt this is actually practical or possible.  (or even a good idea!)

Did Mathieu mention his planned trip to Oxford?  This has been 'postponed' for about 7 months now.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-May-2018, 13:08)Confused Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 11:00)IanG-UK Wrote: I forgot to mention that they are sympathetic to reintroducing the "White Paper" which used to lead the introduction of many technical developments but has not been a feature of late.

That would be lovely!  I still have thoughts of running a REF10 10 MHz clock tap to the CI board, although I very much doubt this is actually practical or possible.  (or even a good idea!)

Did Mathieu mention his planned trip to Oxford?  This has been 'postponed' for about 7 months now.

Not overtly in relation to 2018 but as part of his piece at the Munich event he said that in terms of business he only did two foreign trips a year with one to Munich and one to Oxford. So I'm presuming it is still on his 2018 agenda.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England