Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
If I understand the User Manual properly, the MC-3+ USB will send audio from an S/P-DIF input simultaneously to all its outputs (including USB).  So for example it would work as an S/P-DIF to AES/EBU converter.  I should say I haven't tried this so it might be worth checking with Mutec if you need to be sure - I've found them very helpful and quick to respond.

By the way, the Mutec MC-3+ (without USB) might be a more cost-effective way to do this if that's the only use case you're interested in.

ETA: no, it looks like I'm mistaken in the case of the MC-3+ USB.  On page 19 of the User Manual, it says:

Quote:Selecting »AES3/11«, »S/P-DIF OP«, »S/P-DIF BNC« as Clock Reference
When selecting one of these three clock reference options, the clock rate embedded in the digital audio signal will be extracted and will be used as the base clock rate. Clock multipliers for the clock outputs can still be selected freely. The »CLOCK IN« section indicates the extracted base clock rate. No format conversion of AES3 or S/P-DIF signals to the digital audio outputs will take place in this mode. Instead, the audio outputs will transmit empty audio frame signals (AES3- /S/P-DIF clock signals without audio content).

Sorry for the confusion.

The MC-3+ doesn't seem to have that limitation, though.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hi,

I'm new here. I'm form Poland. Just get my devialet 220pro with B&W 805d3.

I'm interesting about Mutec mc3+ usb. Does anyone compare it with weiss int204?

My source is my computer with Jcat usb card and usb isolator.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

Peter
This’ll save us some configuring of settings in Roon now/in the future I guess. Smile

MUTEC is proud to announce that the MC‑3+ Smart Clock USB Re-Clocker and USB audio interface is now officially approved as a Roon Tested device. This certification program ensures a consistently enjoyable listening experience with the popular music playback software Roon. At this year’s High End Show in Munich coming up in May, visitors to the MUTEC booth will have the chance to experience an audiophile playback system consisting of Roon and the MC‑3+USB first hand.”
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-May-2019, 09:52)Antoine Wrote: This’ll save us some configuring of settings in Roon now/in the future I guess. Smile

MUTEC is proud to announce that the MC‑3+ Smart Clock USB Re-Clocker and USB audio interface is now officially approved as a Roon Tested device. This certification program ensures a consistently enjoyable listening experience with the popular music playback software Roon. At this year’s High End Show in Munich coming up in May, visitors to the MUTEC booth will have the chance to experience an audiophile playback system consisting of Roon and the MC‑3+USB first hand.”

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Definitely plan on visiting their booth when in Munich.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I received the above in an email from Mutec, and I have to say that I was a little disappointed.  To be honest, I am not quite sure what "Roon Tested" means for a reclocker.  I mean, I feed mine from a CD player, it works, I feed it Toslink from a TV, it works, I feed it from a network end point, it works.  Basically feed it any digital signal, it just works!  

What I was hoping for was the announcement of some exciting new products in Mutec's "Empyreal" range.  The REF10 remains the only Mutec Empyreal" class product, I am starting to feel sorry for it, it must be lonely.  One thing I had been hoping for was a Empyreal class equivalent of the MC3+USB, there were some rumors.  However, there were some posts on CA/AS last year from Mutec's Julian David, which made it pretty clear that no such product was planned.

Maybe there will be some interesting news emerging from Munich?  I will be interested to hear from anyone who does visit the Mutec booth at Munich.  Meanwhile, I will just have to console myself by listening to the utterly superb sounds from my existing Mutec kit, without being tempted to spend yet more cash. Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Yeah (I'm not from the US, but I kinda like 'yeah') an "Empyreal" reclocker with ethernet input would be nice. As Mutec is mostly known for studio equipment the anticipated demand for Dante/Ravenna (or lack of it) is maybe the show stopper for a ethernet equipped Mutec.

When I asked I was told ethernet on the MC-3 (and RAAT) was not a priority, but they are working on a DAC. That does not help us Devialet owners much, but we are few in the 'big picture' so I guess a Mutec DAC will be interesting. Maybe the thinking is different now that they've had the MC-3+USB Roon Tested...

Even without the REF10 the MC-3+USB is a fabulous device for sound quality.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
No disappointment here, new products could cost me money again!  Wink Big Grin

I believe ‘Roon Tested’ means that the MC3+USB will be recognized by Roon (currently it is an ‘unidentified’ device) and Roon will set it up according to its capabilities (eg. max sample rate and bit depth) where we now have to do it manually.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Yeah Smile (and I am originally from the US), believe the “Roon Tested” statement is more marketing than anything else, but as Antoine mentioned, proper recognition of the device is a step in the right direction.

I can imagine that the release of a new product for a company the size of Mutec is no minor investmest so thay have to choose wisely in which nest they place their eggs. Their CEO even answered one of my general support questions when Julian was on vacation. A really nice gesture but it gives you an idea of their scale.

Will report back after the Munich event.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
So I spoke with the Mutec Rep at the event in Munch and he stated that an Empyreal Version of the MC-3 is definitely no longer on the map. They are fully concentrating on their upcoming DAC which should be available before Christmas of this year. Price will be somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 Euro with specs that sounded quite impressive. When asked why they opted for a DAC, he stated that clearly it was in response to the demand of their customer base.

They had the "Roon Tested" setup of the MC-3+ also available to play around with the MC-3+ directly connected via USB to a Laptop. Here a couple of screen shots (in German):

Did they indicate if the new DAC will have reclocking built in? I am guessing it will have USB to handle high bit rates in addition to SPDIF... Ethernet?
Roon Ready, ethernet, 768kHz and reclocking +DSD would be a killer combination! Too much to hope for I suppose.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB