Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet get "dull"!?
Maybe just me, but i need to ask if anyone felt the same..  Undecided
Have the upgraded d-premiers to 250 x 2 for a while (800).

When i power on the system and start listen to music directly it sounds just amazing, just love it
Music flows, its dynamic and "fast" as i like it   Smile
BUT, after a couple of hours of playing or just in standby (turned of sleep mode), the feeling of the music fades or feel dull?
Could it be when they are really hot or being active for a whole day, that they can be " dull"
Sorry if using wrong words/expressions, hope u understand what i mean  Smile

One more, problem with sync sometimes between units, is it so that devialet will start selling there own cable as discussed here earlier?, ..have i heard wrong?
You may be right. Check this thread

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Ah interesting! I found my D200 sound best just after switch-on (maybe 5-10 minutes) but gradually seemed to get more 'muffled' as time went on. It really sounded quite poor. I wondered if this was due to temperature too but nowadays with the recent firmware updates it only gets to perhaps 41 degrees max.
Devialet have had the unit back and did actually change a part (the input power board which has a Schurter filter on and not much else) but I have a feeling they did this more out of guesswork than anything else as it did have some slightly 'wet' looking (just excess flux or heat damage?) solder joints on. I have to admit it is sounding more consistent now but I realise I probably haven't been using it quite so much so hard to tell.

A theory popped into my head as I was writing this. I've always wondered how their temperature regulation works. Prior to the firmware updates last year my unit used to get quite hot - perhaps 60 degrees, now it's around 40. I wonder what they're throttling back on to achieve that? Could it be the temperature regulation making it sound poorer?
As I said in the other thread, my experience is a more relaxed sound when warmed up. More relaxed can easily be read as less sharp. So I guess how you perceive it is up to the listener. I like it a bit darker so for me a hot Devialet works best. I might be in a minority though. I also have my speakers set up more for warmth than for soundstage and sometimes tone the treble down a bit.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Mine was a lot duller! It really wasn't right. I tended to find it if I'd left it running for a day or two, perhaps running something in.
(27-Apr-2015, 16:08)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Mine was a lot duller! It really wasn't right. I tended to find it if I'd left it running for a day or two, perhaps running something in.

I stack my units on top of each other, temperature do not change if stacking or side by side
Running, both is around 39-42 celsius when stacked
I'm going to Munich, so i will ask
(27-Apr-2015, 16:19)stefanfreij Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 16:08)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Mine was a lot duller! It really wasn't right. I tended to find it if I'd left it running for a day or two, perhaps running something in.

I stack my units on top of each other, temperature do not change if stacking or side by side

Hi stefanfreij,

Have your upgraded 250s always behaved like this or is this something you have only noticed recently?

BTW please post on the Munich thread, I think there are quite a few of us going now.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(27-Apr-2015, 16:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Hi stefanfreij,

Have your upgraded 250s always behaved like this or is this something you have only noticed recently?

BTW please post on the Munich thread, I think there are quite a few of us going now.  Smile

Guillaume
Yes, i think they always been like this

I will do!
(28-Apr-2015, 07:47)stefanfreij Wrote:
(27-Apr-2015, 16:21)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Hi stefanfreij,

Guillaume
Yes, i think they always been like this

I will do!

Well as a fellow D800 and Sasha 2 owner I can tell you that this isn't normal. If anything it should improve with continuous usage. I regularly run my system for extended periods when running in new speakers or cables. To my ears there is definitely an improvement after 24 hours or so of continuous usage.

I think you should definitely raise a ticket on the Devialet site. As discussed above in this thread Rufus also had a similar problem which was seemingly resolved after a mains filter replacement.

Did you have this problem with the D Premier before you upgraded? What about running a single 250 to see if you can replicate this issue?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
There may be an issue with magnetization. Try to run the demag files from XLO CD or the likes to see if you have any improvements.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey