Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phantom voyage
(05-Mar-2021, 05:02)WTree Wrote:
(04-Mar-2021, 22:21)ragwo Wrote: Next, sound impressions!

Beautiful views and very entertaining writing.. I would have read the posts just with these two but, with Audio Gadgets theme, this is at a much higher level of funtainement! 

Keep writing and I am sure many more of us are silently acknowledging & appreciating this post !!
Thank you for your kind words! 
I will keep on writing, but real life interferes regularly. That's quite annoying, and makes a mess of my posting schedule. Please stay tuned, but don't over do it. 

Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
So, sound impressions.
Have you ever attended to a disco for hearing impaired? Back to in the day when I was a sound engineer, the company I worked for supplied the PA system for such a disco. It was all about bass. A lot of subwoofers and a couple of mid/highs to keep the sound engineer and DJ sane. The feeling was kind of the same in the den. I was watching 6 Underground, a quite bass heavy movie. Even footsteps of pedestrians rumbles. At times it felt like a intestinal massage. In fact quite sickening at times. I can't blame the speakers only, the room acoustics is terrible with an enormous boost around 50 hz, and the soundtrack of 6 Underground must been mixed by a proper bass junkie. Luckily the Audyssey correction sorted out the excessive bass caused by the room. No more sickening bassorama, only bassorama. I like it a lot! I can actually hear the dialogue now. 

The placement of the surround speakers are less than ideal. They should have been further back, but that will involve a saw and a divorce. I think I'll stick with the setup as it is.

More to come!
My Phantom Voyage
(05-Mar-2021, 19:56)ragwo Wrote: They should have been further back, but that will involve a saw and a divorce. 
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Devialet Expert Pro CI 220 + Marantz SR7013 | Kef Reference 201/2 R200c E305 E301 (5.1.4) |
Marantz Consolette |
I dug up a couple of old measurements from the health and safety move of the Phantoms in the living room, ie. wall mounting. Until now it's been all subjective babble, now the hard facts will be revealed. I'll will off course comment very subjectly on the measurments. After all, my worn and torn ears combined with liking is the golden standard, not measurements. Or was it the other way around? Well who cares, here's a screenshot after a sine sweep in REW, enjoy (or not).

To quote the CW's old slogan: Because no one screams out for more treble! Actually it isn't that bad. The red graph is left, green right and blue avaraged. The smoothing is averaged, so something between 6th and 12th? Back to the babble; the almost 10 dB boost from 120ish hz and down made the speakers quite enjoyable but with bass heavy music it could be a bit overwhelming. I do like a little bass boost though, a flat curve sounds lifeless in my ears. The somewhat uneven response in the lower mids and mids would have been nice to correct. A boost of a couple of dB in the highs would also be nice. An Audiolense cure should have been perscribed, but lazyness won me over. Never underestimate lazyness combined with accustomedness, it's a killer combo in my ears. 
Picture break!

Say hello to Judith, our Whippet/stick-bug. She is, objectively off course, quite cute, but then most puppies are. Why suddenly a puppy picture, you may ask? To be honest, I do not have any other measurements to show you guys, so a puppy should be a perfect distraction. Please stay distracted until I find my UMIK in the shed and make some measurements in the den. My ears tells me it's a lot worse there, but they have proved more than once not to be very trustworthy.
My Phantom Voyage
As Shakira sings; my hips don't lie. Unexpectedly nor do my ears. Inspired by the overwhelming feedback I decided to find the UMIK and do some sweeps in the den. The good news; it isn't bad, it's really bad. Just a little off would be nothing to write home about, this is definitely first page stuff. Brown is left, blue is right. Enjoy!

A loudness curve on steroids? A mountain of bass? A 40 dB rise is quite a lot. When I think about it, if I hadn't noticed the bass-orama the only solution would have been to sell all my equipment in shame and find a new hobby. I'm glad I didn't have to, but I imagine my wife would love to have a house cluttered with origami or tall ships made of matches. 
The good news about the frequency response is the everything over 300 Hz. It's surprisingly even without any big problems, so it's not all bad. 
Next couple of questions, is the measurement real? Could it be flawed by the low output volume? It might be flawed, I would like to make some measurements in Audiolense to get a confirmation. With higher output volume the frequency response is better, but I suspect it's caused by DSP trickery to avoid damaging the woofers. Either way, a bit of Audiolense magic is definitely needed, I just don't know how much.
My Phantom Voyage
Your measurements are too low, 30 dB is considered a very quiet environment. Likely, you are picking up ambient noise plus a bit of the Phantoms in the bass region.  Also suggest updating to latest beta version of REW.

Mine looks like this, left in red, right in green (offset -15 dB for clarity), 1/24 smoothing applied.  In untreated family room...
@Snoopy8
Thanks for the feedback, I'll download REW 5.20 beta and try with higher volume.
My Phantom Voyage
@ragwo
Nice pictures.
Very nice house...
(12-Mar-2021, 21:00)eladeb Wrote: @ragwo
Nice pictures.
Very nice house...
Thanks!
My Phantom Voyage
A measurement update is in place. After all, it's past midnight and boredom and/or sleep is imminent. First, the strange measurements continues with the updated version of REW at higher volume. The first time around the volume was 65 in the Devialet app, second time it was 65, 75 and 80. I measured the volume with a dB meter to peak at over 100 dBC even at volume 65 in the app. It was never under 75 dBC. How that translates into 30 dB in REW I don't know, so I'm definitely doing something wrong and/or the digital gremlins are having a good laugh.
So, inspired by this wonderful tattoo, I gave up.

I also begged my Audiolense guru to help me out. Most gracefully my savior is coming to rescue me, but I don't know when. A lockown due to the South African and English mutant menace has been inflicted on us, and I suspect that real life as an ICU nurse might be a bit hectic in the weeks to come. All I can promise is infrequent updates and puppy pictures. Please stay tuned distracted!
My Phantom Voyage