Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phantom voyage
(04-Mar-2021, 22:21)ragwo Wrote: After not killing one of the Phantoms, I decided to take it a step further; paint. After some research I found that the local high school could do the job as a student exercise, I would only pay for the paint and power used by the furnace. A week went by and the Phantom killer goose necks came back powder coated white. The installation was straight forward and it looked just bad, not really bad as I feared.
The stands are hollow by the way, so all cables are hidden, eventually. 

With DOS2 installed, the optical direct mode is just a couple of touches away. Very convenient and a huge step forward from the awkward procedure in DOS1. I would like to keep the opportunity to use RAAT for music, so optical mode for the L/R speakers was out of the question. Unfortunately the preamplifier couldn't make up for the delay between the speakers when the rest was in optical mode. Echo is a nice effect, when used with care. No care in my den I'm afraid. The solution was not user friendly at all, but the goal justifies the means etc. The speakers are divided into three different zones; front, center and surround. The signal is passed from the ADCs to the speakers via toslink. A fixed volume is set in the Devialet app and the volume is adjusted in the preamplifier. The scariest thing; it actually works! With latency set to 60 ms in the Devialet app there are no drop outs, echoing or similar. All speakers are wired. In DOS1 this would be impossible even with wired speakers. Thank you Devialet for DOS2! 

So, it's time for the show off picture. Still the cabling needs tidying up and the preamplifier and ADCs tossed into the rosewoodorama, but the project 98% is done. The rest will hopefully be done in a few days/months/years, depending on the patience of my better half. 

Next, sound impressions!

Hi Mr.

I am operating 5 channel HT with almost the same configuration as yours.  
In the meantime, from low-cost ADCs to Arches in recent years, sound interruption occurs several times a day after updating to firmware 2.12.3(5).  

Are you okay? 
Symptoms occur more often on the left and on the right.  It rarely occurs when playing music through upnp.

I also contacted the technical support team, but the reasons and excuses that they speculate are not applicable at all, and now that it may be because of the user's carelessness, incompatibility, or non-recommended method, I proved that their claims were wrong.  
I'm waiting reply.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
@Lee inseok
I'm sorry for your troubles. You have a really nice HT!
I'm fortunate enough to have dodged all instability issues. Once the sound of the front left speaker was distorted, a reboot sorted that out. My 5.0 setup was completed quite recently, so I haven't tried any other firmware versions than 2.12.5. The whole set up has been surprisingly stable.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Photo 
(06-Apr-2021, 19:50)ragwo Wrote: @Lee inseok

I'm sorry for your troubles. You have a really nice HT!
I'm fortunate enough to have dodged all instability issues. Once the sound of the front left speaker was distorted, a reboot sorted that out. My 5.0 setup was completed quite recently, so I haven't tried any other firmware versions than 2.12.5. The whole set up has been surprisingly stable.

Hi Mr.
I looked at your system and bought and installed rme adi-2 fs instead of the devialet Arch that is currently used as adc. 
Sound is better than Arch, but I get the same error when setting 24bit/96khz. 
So after setting the setting to 24bit/48khz everything is fine. 
How do you set it up?

Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
@Lee inseok
Congratulations on your new ADC! I use 24/48, the speakers will downsample 24/96 to 24/48 anyway. I tried 24/192 just for fun, and my impression was that there was a bit more background noise compared to 24/48 and 24/96. Have you tried 24/192?
My Phantom Voyage
I'm not up to speed on what Phantom is doing internally with downsampling. Was the previous generation of the Phantom (I've the Phantom Reactor 900's) downsampling, or is it the new generation that downsamples only, or is the upgrading DOS that is now downsampling across all models?
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i
(21-Apr-2021, 12:30)supaDean Wrote: I'm not up to speed on what Phantom is doing internally with downsampling. Was the previous generation of the Phantom (I've the Phantom Reactor 900's) downsampling, or is it the new generation that downsamples only, or is the upgrading DOS that is now downsampling across all models?

I believe the speakers have been downsampling all the way, both the Reactor/II and Premier/I. With the integration of RAAT it became visible. @streamy has done a lot of measurements in both DOS1 and DOS2 confirming the downsampling.
My Phantom Voyage
Finally, the last piece of the Phantom puzzle has arrived. Three is always better than two, and a stack of old AD/DA converters certainly makes them sound even better, strictly objectively of course. The visuals are stunning too. They all light up like Christmas trees when the explosions blasts around our heads. So, they'll have to go in the cupboard at the next opportunity, I just have to tidy up the cables for the speakers first. Estimated completion around 2026. Don't hold your breath. 
Behold the blinking beauties! 

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention; it sounds terrific. Less background noise and more dynamics, especially after a couple of glasses of wine. Highly recommended.
My Phantom Voyage
(23-Apr-2021, 23:10)ragwo Wrote: Finally, the last piece of the Phantom puzzle has arrived. Three is always better than two, and a stack of old AD/DA converters certainly makes them sound even better, strictly objectively of course. The visuals are stunning too. They all light up like Christmas trees when the explosions blasts around our heads. So, they'll have to go in the cupboard at the next opportunity, I just have to tidy up the cables for the speakers first. Estimated completion around 2026. Don't hold your breath. 
Behold the blinking beauties! 

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention; it sounds terrific. Less background noise and more dynamics, especially after a couple of glasses of wine. Highly recommended.
Hi Mr.
First, congratulations on the completion of the sound.

Obviously, my prediction is that it will be the most stable in the 24/48 setting.  

Probably you will not have any problems with 24/96 settings for a short time, but if you use it at a high volume(maybe 70> ...) for more than 60 minutes, you will experience the same sound cutout as mine.  
Anyway I have found a solution and I, like you, will have three RME ADI-2 FS installed within next week and the first setting of 5 channels sound system will be completed. (my ultimate goal is to set two reactors to the ceiling and set it to 5.5.2).  

Thank you for your experience that helped me a lot in determining my system adc.  
Thanks to that, 3 Deviale ARCH should be sold almost new to the used market.
(24-Apr-2021, 23:46)Lee inseok Wrote: Hi Mr. 

Obviously, my prediction is that it will be the most stable in the 24/48 setting.  

Probably you will not have any problems with 24/96 settings for a short time, but if you use it at a high volume(maybe 70> ...) for more than 60 minutes, you will experience the same sound cutout as mine.  
Anyway I have found a solution and I, like you, will have three RME ADI-2 FS installed within next week and the first setting of 5 channels sound system will be completed. (my ultimate goal is to set two reactors to the ceiling and set it to 5.5.2).  

Thank you for your experience that helped me a lot in determining my system adc.  
Thanks a lot! It's nice to sit down, watch a movie way too loud trying to make up acceptable reasons to start another hifi project while the ringing in the ears fade in and hearing fades out. 

Three ADI-2 FS have to sound terrific, congratulations! The S/N is 10dB better in the ADC than the original one, as I've read, and the internals are the same as the ADI-2 pro if I'm not mistaken. You'll get high quality sound for sure! I'm glad l could help. Please post some pictures of your HT if you find the time. 

I didn't realize how much oomph 5 Phantoms could make until I talked to my neighbours a couple of days ago. They 
thought a thunderstorm was coming the other night while they were sitting in their living room, but couldn't see any clouds or lightning. The house was vibrating and they couldn't figure out what was causing it until they went out on the porch to investigate. I was demoing the HT for a couple of friends, watching the car chase scene in 6 Underground cranked up to eleven. Highly recommended if you like a gut massage while disturbing your neighbours.
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Apr-2021, 10:30)ragwo Wrote:
(24-Apr-2021, 23:46)Lee inseok Wrote: Hi Mr. 

Thanks a lot! It's nice to sit down, watch a movie way too loud trying to make up acceptable reasons to start another hifi project while the ringing in the ears fade in and hearing fades out. 

Three ADI-2 FS have to sound terrific, congratulations! The S/N is 10dB better in the ADC than the original one, as I've read, and the internals are the same as the ADI-2 pro if I'm not mistaken. You'll get high quality sound for sure! I'm glad l could help. Please post some pictures of your HT if you find the time. 

I didn't realize how much oomph 5 Phantoms could make until I talked to my neighbours a couple of days ago. They 
thought a thunderstorm was coming the other night while they were sitting in their living room, but couldn't see any clouds or lightning. The house was vibrating and they couldn't figure out what was causing it until they went out on the porch to investigate. I was demoing the HT for a couple of friends, watching the car chase scene in 6 Underground cranked up to eleven. Highly recommended if you like a gut massage while disturbing your 
I finally upgraded the sound system.  
The sound has become clearer and the amount of information seems to have increased. 
I have been referencing your system a lot.
Thank you