Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first few days with Roon
(24-Feb-2018, 17:01)Jantje BEton Wrote:
(24-Feb-2018, 14:51)petrik Wrote:
(24-Feb-2018, 11:21)Jantje BEton Wrote: But what I want to suggest is the following configuration option that improved my Rock/Roon SQ and is also applicliable on a Apple/Linux/Windows device (determined by how one runs Roon).
  • Configure your "old" ethernet device with new unused IP address / Subnet attributes . (In my case 192.168.254.1/255.255.255.0, remove gateway and DNS server attributes)
  • Configure the "new" ethernet device with the IP address / Gateway/ Subnet / DNS Server attributes that were defined at your "old" ethernet device. (In my case 192.168.1.3/192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.254)

Very interesting, thank you for sharing this!

May I kindly ask how are you doing this configuration when using Roon ROCK? I had understood that Roon ROCK is not configurable, so are you doing this configuration in BIOS?

Using the browser of your choice you can go to ROCK using http://<ipaddress>

At the bottom of the page you are able to configure the network interfaces, the USB adapter will also show up as Ethernet2

Thank you. It's always nice to learn something new Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Just an update to those who are interested.
The difference in sound quality in particular the bass is a real issue. I love Roon, but not at this cost.
I have joined the Roon forum and I am getting some assistance on there.....but do you know what I just think taking the Melco away and replacing it with a PC is the real problem..........and do you know what thats excatly why I bought the Melco Big Grin

Of course I still have the streaming issues.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(25-Feb-2018, 14:01)Womaz Wrote: Just an update to those who are interested.
The difference in sound quality in particular the bass is a real issue. I love Roon, but not at this cost.
I have joined the Roon forum and I am getting some assistance on there.....but do you know what I just think taking the Melco away and replacing it with a PC is the real problem..........and do you know what thats excatly why I bought the Melco  Big Grin

I am not surprised you prefer the sound quality of the Melco.  With my old Expert (non Pro) amp I had a preference to the microRendu via USB over AIR, it was nicer to listen to.  However, I found the bass was clearly better via AIR, even in comparison to the mighty Melco N1Z.  This does need qualifying, via USB there was more bass, I just found the bass more accurate and articulate via AIR.  Of course, this is with a D800, the Blades, my ears and a different room.  That said, you might want to experiment a little.  For example, how much SAM are you running?  You might find that you can use a higher % SAM with AIR to get a more pleasing overall presentation.  Easy enough to try!  (unless you are already on 100% SAM of course)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Feb-2018, 16:26)Confused Wrote:
(25-Feb-2018, 14:01)Womaz Wrote: Just an update to those who are interested.
I have joined the Roon forum and I am getting some assistance on there.....but do you know what I just think taking the Melco away and replacing it with a PC is the real problem..........and do you know what thats excatly why I bought the Melco  Big Grin

I am not surprised you prefer the sound quality of the Melco.  With my old Expert (non Pro) amp I had a preference to the microRendu via USB over AIR, it was nicer to listen to.  However, I found the bass was clearly better via AIR, even in comparison to the mighty Melco N1Z.  This does need qualifying, via USB there was more bass, I just found the bass more accurate and articulate via AIR.  Of course, this is with a D800, the Blades, my ears and a different room.  That said, you might want to experiment a little.  For example, how much SAM are you running?  You might find that you can use a higher % SAM with AIR to get a more pleasing overall presentation.  Easy enough to try!  (unless you are already on 100% SAM of course)

Well I think you may be onto something here . My SAM is set to 25% and I have now set it to 100% . My initial first hour listening and this is a big improvement . It’s early days I know and I will do more listening , but this is very promising . It’s funny as I was going to try this myself but I was going to turn SAM off not increase it . More listening now....... Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
The brief excitement was just that ...brief Big Grin
I was hopeful at first as they both sounded the same until i returned to a couple of tracks and realised that it had just made the bass as bad on both set ups Big Grin
Returning to the Melco and SAM at 25%.......and the tight controlled bass was back.
Hi Womaz,
You could try adding a better power supply to your BT Hub, I use an ifi at around £50. Unfortunately non of the supplied adapters would fit my BT Hub 6.
I made my own by using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm female socket and a 3.1mm x 6.3mm male plug.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
@ womaz Hello, can you operate a PC for LAN monitoring? If so, I'm looking for the network tool to monitor the data stream. It detects the smallest disturbances (dropouts, etc.), it also works without data flow, it suffices the carrier frequency of your connection. What kind of operating system do you use?
We should find the little devil Angry
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(26-Feb-2018, 17:14)Tremayne Wrote: Hi Womaz,
You could try adding a better power supply to your BT Hub, I use an ifi at around £50. Unfortunately non of the supplied adapters would fit my BT Hub 6.
I made my own by using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm female socket and a 3.1mm x 6.3mm male plug.

Hi Tremayne are you suggesting that a new power supply will improve the sound using Roon? Call me sceptical Big Grin
A fellow North Easterner and you have a great system , where do you live?
(26-Feb-2018, 18:29)K4680 Wrote: @ womaz Hello, can you operate a PC for LAN monitoring? If so, I'm looking for the network tool to monitor the data stream. It detects the smallest disturbances (dropouts, etc.), it also works without data flow, it suffices the carrier frequency of your connection. What kind of operating system do you use?

In a word NO Smile
Apparently my broadband is fine as i have asked BT to run tests on the line. they say everything is fine.
I am not a technical person i am afraid Big Grin
(26-Feb-2018, 19:28)Womaz Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 18:29)K4680 Wrote: @ womaz Hello, can you operate a PC for LAN monitoring? If so, I'm looking for the network tool to monitor the data stream. It detects the smallest disturbances (dropouts, etc.), it also works without data flow, it suffices the carrier frequency of your connection. What kind of operating system do you use?

In a word NO  Smile
Apparently my broadband is fine as i have asked BT to run tests on the line. they say everything is fine.
I am not a technical person i am afraid  Big Grin

OK Smile
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria