Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first few days with Roon
(26-Feb-2018, 19:26)Womaz Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 17:14)Tremayne Wrote: Hi Womaz,
You could try adding a better power supply to your BT Hub, I use an ifi at around £50. Unfortunately non of the supplied adapters would fit my BT Hub 6.
I made my own by using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm female socket and a 3.1mm x 6.3mm male plug.

Hi Tremayne are you suggesting that a new power supply will improve the sound using Roon? Call me sceptical  Big Grin
A fellow North Easterner and you have a great system , where do you live?
I’m part way through my Roon Trial period, and yes, I’m saying that there was an improvement with the ifi. You’re welcome to borrow it and hear for yourself, but not for too long Big Grin .
I’m in Washington.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(26-Feb-2018, 23:05)Tremayne Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 19:26)Womaz Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 17:14)Tremayne Wrote: Hi Womaz,
You could try adding a better power supply to your BT Hub, I use an ifi at around £50. Unfortunately non of the supplied adapters would fit my BT Hub 6.
I made my own by using a 2.1mm x 5.5mm female socket and a 3.1mm x 6.3mm male plug.

Hi Tremayne are you suggesting that a new power supply will improve the sound using Roon? Call me sceptical  Big Grin
I’m part way through my Roon Trial period, and yes, I’m saying that there was an improvement with the ifi. You’re welcome to borrow it and hear for yourself, but not for too long Big Grin .
I’m in Washington.

Thanks for the kind offer Colin, but I would not take it off you. I can’t beleive a fellow Devialet user on my doorstep. Smile
It was the bit where you said you made it yourself , I wouldn’t have a clue where to start. So you run tidal with BT and have no issues?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(26-Feb-2018, 23:15)Womaz Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 23:05)Tremayne Wrote:
(26-Feb-2018, 19:26)Womaz Wrote: Hi Tremayne are you suggesting that a new power supply will improve the sound using Roon? Call me sceptical  Big Grin
I’m in Washington.

Thanks for the kind offer Colin, but I would not take it off you. I can’t beleive a fellow Devialet user on my doorstep.   Smile
It was the bit where you said you made it yourself , I wouldn’t have a clue where to start. So you run tidal with BT and have no issues?
I stopped using Tidal after the one month trial period, but I’ll probably go back to it.
I’ve had no problems using Roon and Tidal with BT.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
Well after a lot of help and guidance of DrTone on the Roon forum I now know which way to go.
By connecting the laptop by USB to the Devialet the magic came back. So it was not the Melco as much as it was the USB connection sounds so much better in my rig than Wifi or Ethernet. This is the opposite of what i have always read about Devialet.
The difference is not subtle either, but yes I know it is system and room dependent.

So Roon will stay and I will have to look for a simple USB solution, but now there is no hurry I guess.
There are not a lot of Roon servers out there with a hard drive also so will have to give that some thought. If I was confident lossless streaming would always be around I guess the hard drive option becomes less important. I have just over 1600 albums but they are all backed up and they will all be available on Tidal I would imagine. I mean my vinyl sat in a garage for over 20 years before i eventually sold it, which has also reminded me I also have the CDs still Smile not that I ever want to rip them again Smile

So feeling as if I have got my head sorted with how i want my system to run.
The Melco will probably be sold to help fund the new equipment.
Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(28-Feb-2018, 21:13)Womaz Wrote: Well after a lot of help and guidance of DrTone on the Roon forum I now know which way to go.
By connecting the laptop by USB to the Devialet the magic came back. So it was not the Melco as much as it was the USB connection sounds so much better in my rig than Wifi or Ethernet. This is the opposite of what i have always read about Devialet.
The difference is not subtle either, but yes I know it is system and room dependent.

So Roon will stay and I will have to look for a simple USB solution, but now there is no hurry I guess.
There are not a lot of Roon servers out there with a hard drive also so will have to give that some thought. If I was confident lossless streaming would always be around I guess the hard drive option becomes less important. I have just over 1600 albums but they are all backed up and they will all be available on Tidal I would imagine. I mean my vinyl sat in a garage for over 20 years before i eventually sold it, which has also reminded me I also have the CDs still  Smile not that I ever want to rip them again  Smile

Hmm this got me thinking, i am also running the SF 2's, using a NUC with Rock now, if it's better to use a USB connected device...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(01-Mar-2018, 09:38)Bartype Wrote:
(28-Feb-2018, 21:13)Womaz Wrote: Well after a lot of help and guidance of DrTone on the Roon forum I now know which way to go.

There are not a lot of Roon servers out there with a hard drive also so will have to give that some thought. If I was confident lossless streaming would always be around I guess the hard drive option becomes less important. I have just over 1600 albums but they are all backed up and they will all be available on Tidal I would imagine. I mean my vinyl sat in a garage for over 20 years before i eventually sold it, which has also reminded me I also have the CDs still  Smile not that I ever want to rip them again  Smile

Hmm this got me thinking, i am also running the SF 2's, using a NUC with Rock now, if it's better to use a USB connected device...

I would imagine it is very much system and room dependent. For me the difference was not subtle. I have quite a lively room though and already have some acoustic panels so for me I just think the Melco or the USB a it turns out just tamed the bass a little and made it tighter. I feel that tighter bass in my system lets me hear everything else more clearly, especially vocals. It may not be just USB there are other connections available too.

I was shocked with what I heard. I tried Air last week too and I was disappointed with that as again the bass was boomy, but I stress this is just in my set up. My 25 year old daughter loved the bass before that shook the room at times, so I think it is a matter of taste.
(01-Mar-2018, 09:45)Womaz Wrote: It may not be just USB there are other connections available too.

Indeed, and you may yet succumb to arguments that AES is better as a number of Forumites have attested to.
So be prepared for the Mutec MC3+USB devotees.
For more see this Thread
(01-Mar-2018, 13:32)alandbush Wrote:
(01-Mar-2018, 09:45)Womaz Wrote: It may not be just USB there are other connections available too.

Indeed, and you may yet succumb to arguments that AES is better as a number of Forumites have attested to.
So be prepared for the Mutec MC3+USB devotees.
For more see this Thread

Actually, with respect to bass, I would say the MC3+USB sounds more like AIR than USB.  So I would say Womaz should stick with his laptop via USB (the don't fix what isn't broken approach), or maybe look for a second-hand microRendu, sMS-200 or similar to try, and see if the 'end point' approach works in his system.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
...or given that (IIRC) Womaz would like to remove his laptop from the playback chain, maybe consider a Roon Nucleus as a drop-in replacement with output via USB. Not the cheapest option, of course, but I guess it would be one of the most straightforward.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess for me there is no hurry as I like to research thoroughly before making a decision. I will also contact my dealer.
I think it makes sense to replace the Melco with something similar but that can act as Roon core server, if so will look at the Innuos.
The Microrendu I think could work with the Melco , but its another box so not really ideal, but at this time open to all options.

I work for myself from home so I have to admit its nice to control Roon from the desktop too....lazy but nice.
The Roon Nucleus I will have to look into.
The shift in what I need is since I got Tidal it has totally changed the way I listen to and think about music. I was always adamant that I want to own certain albums. A year later I see no need to. Tidal has been a revelation for me.