Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge & alternatives - Questions, and Opinions Invited
As always, wonderful help from friends and family here on DevChat.

I've decided to try the NAD M32 integrated. A NAD dealer confirmed that the M12 & M32 are the same with the addition of a power amp. The amp will simplify my set up, which is valuable, as my space is limited and it is also a royal pain to get at, so fewer cables and connections means less time moving furniture and lying upside down and backwards trying to find small cables and connections in the dark. Really, if I want combat yoga, I'd take a class.

Based on my extensive googling, the NAD may be slightly softer / warmer/ cozier (Darko review) than the Mytek, and I'm OK with that. And it has a very full and broad set of compatibilities which is really wonderful. Ease of use affects us every day as we use the system, and it is very important that my wife is able to use the system easily and comfortably. I think (very much hope) that I'm there.

My brain is totally baked after all this searching, so I'm relieved to have pressed the 'go' button and come to a happy decision, with the help of this Forum, of course. Wine, beer, Bourbon and Scotch all around!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(02-Feb-2021, 13:06)Snoopy8 Wrote: [*]Comparing amplifiers:  Pure Class A vs Class A & Class D with ADH and SAM.  Will need someone to compare them side by side, to then talk about SQ differences, detail, sound stage etc. etc.
Thanks for your comments- I currently stream from a Mac mini- maybe that is the weak link? Yes, I think I will go ahead and compare- will let you know!
(02-Feb-2021, 19:24)Damon Wrote: I've decided to try the NAD M32 integrated.
...it is very important that my wife is able to use the system easily and comfortably.
...Scotch all around!
Excellent choices all round, Damon!
Enjoy it in good health Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(02-Feb-2021, 19:24)Damon Wrote: Ease of use affects us every day as we use the system, and it is very important that my wife is able to use the system easily and comfortably. I think (very much hope) that I'm there.

Both of you will be pleasantly surprised, and delighted, when you use BluOS.  The tablet version is the nicest looking...
(02-Feb-2021, 22:16)ICUDoc Wrote: Thanks for your comments- I currently stream from a Mac mini- maybe that is the weak link? Yes, I think I will go ahead and compare- will let you know!
Undoubtedly, a standard Mac Mini as a streamer is limiting. Things that improve a streamer are a better power supplies (often multiple), better internal clocks, a stable chassis and not using a disk drive. The Vega 2.1 and Aries 2.1 are very good because of those improvements..,

Would have loved to pop in and listen while you are doing the compare, but I am in a different continent! Big Grin
(02-Feb-2021, 22:16)ICUDoc Wrote: Excellent choices all round, Damon!
Enjoy it in good health Smile

Thanks Doc,
Again, the forum community has come forward with real help; knowledgable, kind and prompt. Makes me happy, even on a grey Vancouver afternoon. Now I need that wine to prepare for my Italian lesson tonight. Guess I should do the homework too.... Rolleyes
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
BTW, here is a link to the demo NAD M12 preamp streamer. This one has the HDMI board as well as the BluOS board. I spoke to Adam, and he was extremely helpful. So much so that I'd like to bring it to the attention of others.

My apologies is this is not an appropriate post. If so, please let me know and I'll delete it or move it.

Demo NAD M12 streamer Pre Ontario Canada
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
What about building yourself a Raspberry Pi 4 bridge, less than $100 bucks.
I built my own rpi cm4 custom bridge connected via USB to Devialet DAC and can easily expose Roon bridge, Spotify Connect and Airplay streaming services.

Next step is to try out the ALSA room correction option.

You can try https://ropieee.org/ which has everything prebuilt for you.

Kai
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
Hi @Melville / Kai
Thanks for the idea. Interesting approach, and one that I have not thought of. I know less than zero about the Pi or any of that stuff, but I'm not too old or stupid (I hope) to learn. I will snoop around and see what is involved. After all, I have time and nowhere to go.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
Lindemann limetree network is highly advisable. The Lindemann uses its own platform and app and it has to be said, it's a rather good one too. It is stable and easy to use and also had support for TIDAL, Qobuz, High Res Audio, Spotify and Deezer. Then, because Lindemann isn't a fool, you can control it via Roon too as it is fully Roon compatible.