Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAD M2 to Expert 220 Pro
Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum but never taken the plunge to owning a Devialet amp. This is about to change as I've just been bought a 220 Pro. I'm currently running a NAD M2 amp with Auralic Aries as a source and Kef Reference 5 speakers. This setup sounds great, but as most people who are into hifi know, the grass is always greener on the other side! I guess my question is has anyone made the move from NAD M2 to Devialet and if so how was it? I am slightly nervous about the move as I do love my M2 but am hoping I'm not going to look back once I get the 220 set up. 

Thanks, Laura
(10-Dec-2018, 14:26)Laura Wrote: Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum but never taken the plunge to owning a Devialet amp. This is about to change as I've just been bought a 220 Pro. I'm currently running a NAD M2 amp with Auralic Aries as a source and Kef Reference 5 speakers. This setup sounds great, but as most people who are into hifi know, the grass is always greener on the other side! I guess my question is has anyone made the move from NAD M2 to Devialet and if so how was it? I am slightly nervous about the move as I do love my M2 but am hoping I'm not going to look back once I get the 220 set up. 

Thanks, Laura

I did exactly that!   The M2 was a fairly impressive piece of gear in its time and I was reasonably content with it, but then a buddy loaned me a Devialet 200 and I was smitten.  After that I went to the 220 Pro and then added a 2nd for a 440 Pro.    

So yes, IMHO, the grass is not only greener but sounds so much better.    It definitely moves things to a more analog-like, musical presentation.   In my room with my speakers, it also greatly cleaned up the bottom end with far more depth, clarity and impact.   You won't regret it.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Hey, thanks for the reassurance, it sounds good. I'm sure it will be great, but of course I'll then need to follow your path and upgrade it to a 440 Pro! Was there a big difference there too?
I have the Kef Reference 5 too, good combo
Devialet Expert pro 220CI-KEF Reference 5-Van den Hul Revelation- Live Cable T.C.W. Powercord

Roon/air
(10-Dec-2018, 15:40)Laura Wrote: Hey, thanks for the reassurance, it sounds good. I'm sure it will be great, but of course I'll then need to follow your path and upgrade it to a 440 Pro! Was there a big difference there too?

Going from the M2 to the Devialet Expert (and later Pro) was a significant improvement in all aspects of the music and quite an improved tonal quality to the presentation.  Going from the 220 Pro to the 440 Pro is essentially the same tonal quality but improvements in refinement, extension, depth of soundstage, bass impact, etc...   

Looks like you're gonna have a great musical adventure ahead of you!  Enjoy.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
Thanks to both of you for the replies. It looks like my purchase of the 220 Pro has fallen through so will be waiting a while again to make the change  Sad
Well I was disappointed when the purchase of the 220 Pro fell through due to it allegedly having a fault, but it seems all things happen for a reason and Santa dropped a 440 Pro down my chimney instead! Let the fun begin  Big Grin
Whoa! Santa was very very good to you! The M2 is no slouch, but can't wait to hear about your experience with the 440 Pro.
Durham, NC USA