Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative Reviews
(01-Sep-2020, 07:00)thumb5 Wrote:
(30-Aug-2020, 23:31)David A Wrote: This test doesn't prove that phase correction is being applied with SAM at 0%, only actual phase measurements of the speaker's output at 0% would do that, but I do think the above results give very strong grounds for believing that whatever SAM is doing at 0 % involves more than simply providing speaker protection and phase correction is the only other candidate we have to explain what else might be going on.

Actually there is another possibility: the computation (signal processing) required to implement SAM at 0% itself uses some additional power.

Undoubtedly the computation does require some power, but 25-30% of the power required to run the amp with SAM off?
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
If it's the difference between essentially no DSP and "full-on" DSP, I could imagine the DSPs might use several Watts extra, measured at their supply rails. With inefficiencies in the power supplies and inaccuracies in the measurement method, it's not too much of a stretch.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(08-Aug-2020, 21:02)Stino Wrote: Lol. A 440 not high end? Ha ha. Is the author even an audiophile or music lover?

Of course to each its own but the conclusion is so wrong...

I must say that I agree. I was never happy with my 140 pro.  At my local hifi shop I listened to the 1000 pro against gryphon diablo 300/dac. No contest gryphon was clearly much more enjoyable.
(30-Aug-2020, 11:28)Hi, that's exactly what I was told too. In reply to others, I've never said that it is a devialet problem. I know that my room isn't ideal and my speakers can't be moved around much at all. After all, it's our lounge!I did put a sock in each port which was pretty good but the bass reduction sounds pretty good to me.I had a linn streamer previously and no amount of space optimisation worked with me. I hated it and turned it off. In a idea world I'd have these a bit further apart and away from the back wall. But I can't so -2.5 it is.maxijazz Wrote: If i understand well, 0% SAM just provides protection for woofer. Increasing SAM adds phase correction that results in increased bass extension and accuracy (that can by heard as increasing of bass amount). There is no equalization, per se.
D220 Expert Pro CI. Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower Loudspeakers.
Phantom Reactor 600 for Mrs Oz.
I've no idea why pressing reply screwed that up so much.
If SAM is so good, how come no one seems to run it at 100%? Surely that kind of proves it is all subjective. It's not a simple on or off is it?
(02-Sep-2020, 10:38)Ozzzy189 Wrote: If SAM is so good, how come no one seems to run it at 100%? Surely that kind of proves it is all subjective. It's not a simple on or off is it?

I run it at 100%, since there is a profile available for my speakers which have been in the first few months of existence of SAM Smile

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I tried it but it wasn't for me. I have more clarity and musicality at 0.
I am happy with the sound, bass is still weighty and solid without any bloom or element over blowing.
(02-Sep-2020, 17:29)Ozzzy189 Wrote: I tried it but it wasn't for me. I have more clarity and musicality at 0.
I am happy with the sound, bass is still weighty and solid without any bloom or element over blowing.

In whole honesty, there are not that many pieces where the bass extension really matters, so I agree that the major benefit is probably the time alignment. 

This being said, I’m a big fan of pipe organ which contains a lot of real basses for which I’m happy to have SAM extending my bottom from 35Hz down to 20ish. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Does anyone know if Devialet is still adding additional speakers to the list of SAM support? There are no Von Schweikert speakers on the SAM list which is unfortunate. I really like mine but would love to hear what SAM could do.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA