Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New Devialet 200 owner - Set Up Help
Hi guys (and girls?),

I'm recently purchased a second hand Devialet 200, so I'm obviously new to this forum.

I was hoping to find some kind souls who wanted to help me setup as to get the most out of this amp.

I bought the Devialet from a private seller who wasn't really knowledgeable, and unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable either Confused that's why I'm reaching out here for some help from some more knowledgeable people  Smile

I like a good set up and a good sound but I don't read hifi magazines or know too much about hifi. Up to this stage I had a hifi dealer who made me listen and advised me what to buy. This is the first time I bought something on the secondary market that's why I can't reach out to my hifi dealer for help.

My set up now is the Devialet amp, a cambridge audio cxn streamer and a turntable.

So, I hooked up the streamer to the Line 1 in, the phono to the Line 2 phono in and hooked my speakers and subwoofer.

For starters: is this correct? Shy  I read something about Devialet having a DAC/streamer etc, but again, as I said I'm not very knowledgeable so I don't really know what all that means. I'm also not that computer savvy.

I tried configuring the SD card, but when it's in I get an error message saying something like: wrong config. contact support - press button - then I get 'Factory config' and the amp starts up.

I must say that everything is working fine though ...

So again: noob questions - so hoping to get some clarity.

Thanks!
Hi Mescal,
the Devialet 200 does not have a built in streamer, that was introduced only with the 220 update.
Your SD card issue might be a defective SD card or a wrong configuration. Have you selected the correct amp in the online configurator ?
Try to format the SD card and create a new configuration.
Regarding your streamer: the Cambridge CDX does have a digital output, so you should connect it digitally to the Devialet.
Otherwise you add an additional AD and DA conversion to the signal flow.
Great!!!! It works!!!

Thanks for the tips!

I formatted the sd card and reconfigured (using phono and digital in). Works as a charm now! I noticed an incredible increase in volume. I used a regular interconnect cable, do I need a special digital cable?

About that SAM? What are your thoughts on it? Now I just have SAM None since I don't see my speakers in the list. Can I select speakers similar to mine? If so, could someone advise? Angel
Another question about that volume:

When I use the streamer I got a nice listening volume at - 30 db, when I use the phono I got a nice listening volume at 0 db.

Is that just the way it is (cartridge set up etc), or did I do something wrong?

EDIT: Ok, fixed this in the settings. Was still in MM mode ...
I believe the D200 has an ethernet port. In that case you can stream AIR to it (not Apple AirPlay, but Devialet AIR). Roon supports this. AIR can be a bit temperamental so a digital feed from the CXN may indeed be the better option if AIR is difficult
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Digital feed is working fine Smile So, gonna leave it like that
A "digital" cable is a bit different compared to a standard analog rca. I would suggest buying not the cheapest one you can find.
Also, SAM is not recommended for speakers not on the list.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I'd avoid using SAM if there is no SAM profile for your speakers. I did use the "wrong" profile for my speakers for some time. It may not be "dangerous" as such if you do not play loud, but SAM is strongly tied to the specific speaker it is made (measured) for. I noticed this when I got my speaker model SAM'ed. The result was very different and way better than the "wrong" profile I had used temporary.
SAM is very effective so if you are thinking about changing speakers it's definitely worth checking the SAM list before you buy.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Any tips for a 'digital' cable? (or is that against forum rules?)

Won't be using SAM then .... I recently bought a new pair of speakers, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Thanks for the advice!
Ok, little bit closer to definite set up Smile

So bought me a digital cable, but I seem to have a problem with the phono stage.

I used the configurator, gave in the phono model (Audio Technica), the cartridge type and voila.

But now the turntable makes this strange clicking noises; like it's picking up static. (could post a video of the noises). It even makes these noises when the turntable is plugged out of the socket.

When I use the line in and my phono pre amp (EAR 834) everything is working fine (so no noises).

Any idea what this might be? Something in the setup I did wrong?