Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New Expert Firmware (non CI) with amazing new features released!
(01-Jun-2018, 13:34)Confused Wrote: Regarding @Flashman's comment that the Expert line will never see an upgrade again, I am not so sure.  I think if something was developed for the Pro, but it would happily work on the Expert, I suspect they would roll it out for everyone.  Why not?  (The answer to "why not?" might be mean spirited commercial considerations, of course)
@Confused Sure hope your conjecture is correct! Smile
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(01-Jun-2018, 13:24)Peter van der Laarse Wrote: Hi all,

Yes I was in Munich (Devialet chat 4 guys and 5 incuding my wife and yes the whole week) and when I read this statement I think some knowledge is important to know:

1. Devialet content
The Devialet expert contains more then 106 patents and now it is possible for a non-professional to own fully professional digital equipment. In complete silence the record can be played or recorded. The most important thing about digital is the timeframe within the second (read twice). At 192.000 measurements within a second the time BETWEEN 1 and 2, 2 and 3, etc etc must be exactly the same. Our earings are very very sensitive for mistakes in this subject. With the introduction of the CI board the Devialet Expert became a whole new clock setting, wit new possibilities: like 1969. A small step for man, a huge step for mankind.
So to say very shortly: the possible (payable) softwareprogresses with Devialet200 were done.

2. Price Place Promotion Product and Prince2 planning
Educated as a certified financial auditor I must say Devialet is not strong enough on the Prince2 projectplanning management stuff. (LinkedIn my name). Technically everything can be build into the Expertrange, but at what input and expense? Personally I find the PRO CI such another machine that it is commercially not understandable is has gotten no new name. In Trump words: no smart trade.
That said at Munich, now in first times I heard a reckognition about this and some answers were: no priority. And I laughed when I heard the technician say: not yet.....

3. What;s in it for you and the world?
A lot. But in a completely different manner everbody is used to. Like the newest camera into the Hubble telescope; the Devialet amplifier is really the first in the world with a resolution it is unknown so far. In that way the demonstration at Munich at Devialet was very to laugh about: Vivid speakers and 3 x 1000PRO connected in an active way. About 175.000euro's. The sound for me was really bad for the money: the human ears are very sensitive to timefaults so deviding the soundspectrum in low middle and treble gives never the best sound possible. Nothing has changed, but with the new technology and when you own and are used to the real stuff..... Businesscase let me say. And: a chain is as strong as the weakest link.
Attention points to Devialet owners: a. Shielded mains entrance from a balanced isolator source is in combination with the Devialet technology a good and hearable investment. b. CAT7 cables with the lowest timefaults are good hearable. Like Audioquest Diamond you can really hear. c. Use the best WBT plugs you can afford: so good the Devialet really is. Shield your whole installation proffesionally (Hobby: nice and low costs) d. Think about new speakers or headphones. The lowest cost ever: WooWee adapter ($650) with Stax LE700 for example and you hear the Devialet for the first time ever..... It is like the introduction of the Quad ESL in 1957: yes 1957. From that time on studios could hear for the first time what was recorded. 40 years back I heard this statement for the first time and I thought: of course, yes yes. But now, 40 years later I think they were right and yes; Devialet has created such a new moment in history. Try and listen and the 200 is incredible good already!
Hi Peter,

That's quite an interesting response.

My summary:
1) Devialet Expert (non-Pro) upgrades are in the past.  But it's a damn good product as is!
2) The Devialet folks are not good software planners (hmmm, it this a French vs Dutch thing?) Tongue 
3) For proper playback of digital, you need to pay attention to the chain, i.e., quality CAT7 cables (uh, there's a can of worms), shielded mains, proper power supply, etc.  Forgoing the headphone discussion, another shout-out for the Dev200 series (not sure whether you meant both the Expert and Expert Pro).

Have I correctly summarized?

Cheers, Flashman
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
My D premiers have benefited with just about all upgraded firmware and I can still upgrade to a 1000pro if I wanted any features missing on mine or to get to the latest and greatest
Features that I want could most likely still apply to them , a decent app , offline on the fly configuration, a digital effects loop and a 3-5 band parametric
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(01-Jun-2018, 17:33)Rodney Gold Wrote: My D premiers have benefited with just about all upgraded firmware and I can still upgrade to a 1000pro if I wanted any features missing on mine or to get to the latest and greatest
Features that I want could most likely still apply to them , a decent app , offline on the fly configuration, a digital effects loop and a 3-5 band parametric

Rodders have you no ambition?! A 1k Pro??  Tongue

Lawrence Dickie and Devialet have collaborated to create the perfect digital crossover for your speakers.  Cool Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
You need a trinnov box for the X/over ..altitude 32 at eu 20k.. and I would need a further 6 amps at eu 70k or so...ouch!!!!
Spoke to dickie about it .. he recons its an improvement going fully active...but not by much
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I had a thought regarding the fully active super system. The treble / presence range (880Hz +) is handled by a single 250Pro on each side. Yet we are told that the dual mono sounds better, lower distortion and so on. OK, I guess there is nothing to stop you (other than yet more cash) substituting the 250Pro's with 1000 Pro's, but would not a pair of 440Pro's do a better job for more or less the same cash? The 440Pro would have the benefit of the dual mono's lower distortion, and would actually have more power. I can only assume that they have gone for the 250Pro as it looks nicer, with consistent looks with the 1000Pro. When the 400 Expert was first introduced I asked Mathieu Pernot which sounded best, the 250 or the new 400. I was a 250 owner at the time, and Mathieu's answer was clear, the 400. I presume the same logic holds for the 440Pro versus 250Pro.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Some interesting responses above. FWIW I’ve got a pro so would likely get the latest updates (if I ever felt the CI was stable enough or decided I wanted to be an alpha-tester).

My post was more about the non Pro and the promise of the EVO platform constantly evolving. Which at one point it did - less so when I got mine (judging by historical forum posts) but still there were numerous updates. Then nothing of any note. For 1-2 years.

Having seen Devialet discuss the motivation for developing the CI board to simplify their software development (by putting phantom and expert on the same platforms) the lack of updates would appear to imply development has stalled and non pro updates will be very limited or non existent going forwards.

Devialet are incredibly lucky that they have so many loyal devotees. They’re clearly completely ignoring their EVO promises Experts were sold with.

As for my toaster or other appliance updating - no i don’t expect them to - but then the manufacturers didn’t market/advertise them on that basis. Roon software did, however, and that evolves constantly as advertised. I guess I just think companies should honour their promises. Old school maybe.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Jun-2018, 06:52)Rodney Gold Wrote: You need a trinnov box for the X/over ..altitude 32 at eu 20k.. and I would need  a further 6 amps at eu 70k or so...ouch!!!!

That's something I wasn't aware of Rodney. I was under the impression that Devialet could program their amps to do all the crossover stuff internally. So if it isn't than this whole setup is a bit of a joke because you can do the Trinnov thing with any other set of power amps.

BTW, we're way off topic here. This is meant to be the bitching about Devialet thread and this conversation should be in the Munich thread. Maybe we should just swap the names around  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Jun-2018, 09:05)Pim Wrote:  I was under the impression that Devialet could program their amps to do all the crossover stuff internally.

Me too!!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
As for the ‘6 stack active Devialet system’, there have been some bargains to be had the past months with a dealer selling six 250 Pro CI’s quite cheaply. The reason - someone didn’t like the exact system mentioned above. Can’t be that great.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<