Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Phantom Tale
Hello again,

So I took the Phantoms back. I may try again when the software is fixed (or when the Phantom 2 is out if the software isn't the weak point). I enjoyed having them but ultimately, sound-wise, they weren't an improvement on my current setup. Plus my current setup doesn't start dropping out after twenty minutes.

I guess I'll try just a speaker upgrade instead. Any suggestions for around the same price as two Silvers and a Dialogue?

Cheers,

Nick
Hi Nick.

I must say that I really like the Devialet Ensemble (D120 and Athom GT1). This set sounds very nice in small to medium sized rooms. Unfortunately the price is a little higher ( Euro 6.999,-- ).

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
you could alos use the miniDSP products , they have AES/SPDIf/Toslink I/O
you can then use sbt coax in , minidsp optical out to phantoms
You have a choice of plugins and devices , I use the dirac box DDRC 22 , but you can use the acourate openDRC Di as well for total RC or use one of their other products if you simply want parametric filters
I have used the antimode 2 , the dirac and acourate boxen are better and cheaper
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
speakers for the price of 2 silvers and a dialog?

Audio Physic Tempo 25 plus
(03-Nov-2015, 16:21)rumnyc Wrote: speakers for the price of 2 silvers and a dialog?

Audiophysics are great speakers to be sure.

I'm sorry to state the obvious but to the price of these speakers we must add streamer (or other source) amp + cables. And they are several times larger and they won't play bass below 35hz.

Phantoms are not the ultimate in hifi, but they for the combination of convenience, compact size and performance I don't think there is much at anywhere near the price: I had been looking for years before these came along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-Nov-2015, 12:09)sleach Wrote:
(03-Nov-2015, 16:21)rumnyc Wrote: speakers for the price of 2 silvers and a dialog?

Audiophysics are great speakers to be sure.

I'm sorry to state the obvious but to the price of these speakers we must add streamer (or other source) amp + cables. And they are several times larger and they won't play bass below 35hz.

Phantoms are not the ultimate in hifi, but they for the combination of convenience, compact size and performance I don't think there is much at anywhere near the price: I had been looking for years before these came along!

Thanks for the reply.

Well I have the amp and cables and streamer already. The Phantoms were on trial to see if I could replace all that and get a lift in sound quality. It could certainly reduce my hardware count but the sound wasn't any better. That, plus all the technoglitching, was why they went back to La Belle France. Or at least the back room of the local shop.

The Audio Physics look good on paper but they don't seem to stock them anywhere nearby. I have heard that the Revel F206 is a contender as maybe a pair of B&W 804 diamonds (in a sale). 

Never thought it would be so difficult to blow a load of cash.

Cheers,

Nick
Right, I think I misunderstood the scenario, sorry!

There are tons of great options in that price range. Personally I've been very tempted by the Boenicke W5s. They are compact but with great performance. If I had good amplification I'd consider them for sure! Or the Gauder Akustic Arcona speakers are really exceptional too.

But really speakers are so personal that you must audition them - ideally in your room with your gear. But at least listen to them first.

The most important thing for new Phantom owners is break in. The speakers sound awful out of the box. After 5 hours of continued playing they already are much better but still improving for days if not weeks.

In addition Devialet only can use the standards that industry sets. If your home WiFi is not good or you have too many wireless networks around or you set your home router to any weird channel then you won't be happy with phantoms. But don't expect any other wireless equipment to work there.

If all wifi connection methods fail you have the option to cnnect Phantoms and Dialog via Ethernet what as a side effect betters reproduction. My guess is that ethernet's better response ( lower ping times ) is responsible for it. They don't sound different but the music gets this special kind of "flow" that makes listeing much more interesting.
Interesting, you mean Dialog and each Phantom connected via a hub?

Yes. Connect the phantoms and Dialog via ethernet cable to a small unmanaged switch. And if possible connect Dialog to your router too by ethernet cable.

It really improves the sound. First I did not want that because I lost the freedom of movement but as they now are bound to their stands amyways and ethernet cables can be connected to the base of the stands there is no real disadvantage to use cables.