Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New beginning with Devialet 250 and Apple hardware
I own a Devialet 250 that I haven't used for a long time. At that time operated with a MacMini with iTunes and connected via USB. Worked well so far a few years ago.

Would like to start again now. And think about reactivating the MacMini again therefore. On the other hand I wonder how the Devialet could possibly be fed with an AppleTV 3rd generation and whether that wouldn't be a good alternative in terms of sound as well. Especially since it should be easier to use. The Apple TV has an digital optical out.

But first of all: what would be the newest oder best firmware for the Devialet 240? I had an account on Devialet´s website, where I was offered software and through which I could set up the Devialet (SD card). The account is still there, but I can no longer find all this information in the account. Maybe I'm just just blind.

Maybe you guys can help me with the finest software first and have further any suggestions oder experiences from your side to that Apple theme?

Thanks a lot so far!!!
I just found the firmware area in my old account.

Version: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 Date: 2020-10-06

There is also shown a 10.1.0 - which one should I choose for downloading?

Edit: the 10.1.0 should be the right one (Use previous 10.x.x Firmware versions for Expert and Expert Pro without Core Infinity.)
(27-Oct-2021, 17:06)Nightmare Wrote: [...] On the other hand I wonder how the Devialet could possibly be fed with an AppleTV 3rd generation and whether that wouldn't be a good alternative in terms of sound as well. Especially since it should be easier to use. The Apple TV has an digital optical out.

[...]

Optical is an easy way to go. This is how I was feeding my own Devialet when I was still using an Airport before upgrading to CI which now has native Airplay.

So Just enable an optical one of the two optical inputs on the D250 and use an optical cable between the two. It should work like a charm.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thank you for your input.

There was always a discussion about which feed/connection sounds best. I ended up with USB because it was the most reliable connection to me using a good short cable. A MacMini served using different players to check. I did not play high-res music so far. The easiest way to feed the Devialet from the Apple world, seems to me to be an AppleTV. The newer generations do not have digital outs. So an AppleTV3 should be the solution. MacMini worked well so far, but using more an more music streaming (apple music and others) the AppleTV seams seems to be the easier way.

Did you try different connections and compare them with the optical one?
Any recommendations for a cable (length under one meter).

I don't want to invest in a CI upgrade right now. Hence my consideration with AppleTV and an optical connection.
(28-Oct-2021, 08:36)Nightmare Wrote: I don't want to invest in a CI upgrade right now. Hence my consideration with AppleTV and an optical connection.

Then the highest firmware is 10.1.0. You'll need the CI board to go higher than that.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
As expected. Thanks. Just made the update.
Any further opinions concerning the optical connection?
Experience or recommendations in matters toslink cables for music transmission with as little loss as possible are welcome, too.
The main toslink input (close to the USB port) is quite good actually. If you're lucky it might even support up to 192kHz. The other one (combo 3.5mm) will only do 24/96.
TBH I've not heard differences between cables. There may still be differences of course, but with the boxes I had I heard none.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware of that.

But the Optical 1 (close to USB) was my planned port anyway.

Did anyone compare AIR vs USB vs OPTICAL?

Anyone using an AppleTV for feeding the Devialet?

I will give this line up a try...
(28-Oct-2021, 13:53)Nightmare Wrote: Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware of that.

But the Optical 1 (close to USB) was my planned port anyway.

Did anyone compare AIR vs USB vs OPTICAL?

Anyone using an AppleTV for feeding the Devialet?

I will give this line up a try...

I did try the various inputs, Air, Room, Airplay, USB, Optical at various sample rates between 44.1kHz and 192kHz and different bit depths between 16 and 24 bits and was absolutely unable to tell the difference.

But as other have said, this is just my experience in my situation with my ears and my brain.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France