Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New excited member
Experiences of burn-in times seem to vary with some amps sounding great out of the box and others taking a few weeks/months to come on-song. For example, see this thread:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=140

When I first demo'd Devialet at home I used my NDX/XPS2 and the sound was excellent - I assume that your NDS will be even better. I will be very interested to hear what you think of AIR versus the NDS - both w-ifi and wired AIR work extremely well for me Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks Phil, as an ex Naim owner yourself, we all know about burn-in. I read the thread you started and I guess I will do an accelerated burn-in by running music at low-level for long periods, and when I am not listening properly.

What is a little bit disconcerting are the contributions where it seemed that, where units improved, they did not quite reach the level of the demo model. I wonder if there is variation in manufacture, or just some units take longer than others, even within the same model number. I also guess the perception is different with every pair of ears and the other electronics, especially speakers, in play with the new out-of-the-box Devialet.

Anyway, fore-armed is fore-warned, I will expect the worse and hope for good out of the box.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Hi,
Ex DAC/555PS/252/SCDR/300/S400 myself.

I tried the 250 with my Ovator S400s and found them not well suited. A bit thin in bass, and a bit splashy in the mid tones. I moved to the Atohm GT1 SEs with SAM, partly as downsizing was a part of the switch. V happy with them.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

Ovators and Naim speakers in general tend to elicit strong responses which can be either very positive or very negative. Neither of the two local Naim dealers that I have used in recent years even stock them...

That said I will be I interested to find out how the 600s sound with a 200 Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Hello Allen - good to see you on here. Welcome to the dark side and i hope you enjoy your 200.

My own amp took a couple of weeks to come on song compared to the demo model. Once there, apart from a very slight change over the first 10 minutes from sleep it's extremely consistent in performance.

Sources, well i used my NDX for a while but found i preferred to use AIR via wired Ethernet. After the last firmware upgrade the Mac Mini has moved back to the rack and it's now using USB. I've gone full circle Mac 'n' Dac :-)

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(09-Apr-2015, 21:42)james n Wrote: Hello Allen - good to see you on here. Welcome to the dark side and i hope you enjoy your 200.

My own amp took a couple of weeks to come on song compared to the demo model. Once there, apart from a very slight change over the first 10 minutes from sleep it's extremely consistent in performance.

Sources, well i used my NDX for a while but found i preferred to use AIR via wired Ethernet. After the last firmware upgrade the Mac Mini has moved back to the rack and it's now using USB. I've gone full circle Mac 'n' Dac :-)

James

Hey James, great to hook up again  Big Grin

Our paths over the years seem to have followed very similar courses in a lot of respects. My move to Devialet involves much more than a disillusionment with Naim's streaming strategy, but I am in the process of down-sizing big time. The 200 was pretty rough to start with, but fortunately this did not last too long and now is sounding very sweet. The huge bonus is that the S600 Ovators are working very well with the Devialet now (not so during the 200 running-in). I, too, have come full circle with a Mac Mini, I splashed out on a Chord Signature TA USB cable and that has made a big difference. Experimenting with BitPerfect and Audirvana with good effect. Keen to see if Dialog / Spark work out for the Expert range.

All the very best
Allen
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome from another ex-Naim user !
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)
Thanks Ants, after Naim, Devialet is certainly different in a very revealing way and in all senses of the word. Although there is no SAM for the S600's I have tried the S400 SAM with the larger brother. Little effect really, which I am trying to fathom out, given that the drive units are very similar on each speaker. I am guessing SAM may have more effect on smaller speakers with smaller drive units? Not a big deal, the S600's are now starting to play very well with the 200.
TRNC (North Cyprus)
I downloaded SAM from KEF Reference 3 (New model) into my KEF 203/2 (one gen old) - Absolute Pleasure Smile ! Just a BKM sharing.

Credits : Damon keep doing this very often, and I simply followed what he did. But you can use the SAM % feature and see what suits you.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Thanks, Jnan, though I know I'm not the first to try this, and I know that it is not a 'correct' practice. But in the audio world, things often make a positive difference even if they are not correct, or correct in all aspects. Of course, it could also go very wrong especially with lots of volume.

I've never had any grief with the various profiles I've saved, and even with only one SD card the SAM & config change has been easy every time. It's a simpler and cheaper way to fiddle with the system than adding more boxes, or cords or cables.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada