Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New firmware
(16-Feb-2022, 03:15)meta Wrote: okay the glitches returned. did the 10 second factory install and reset up the phantoms and the glitches are still there.

checked with two other sources over WiFi and the only source that glitches is the new ipad pro.

associated with the glitches is the sound quality is definitely lower quality compared to bluetooth from my phone. 1st time bluetooth beat airplay in my experience.

Strange. A factory reset usually clears most update/config-related problems.

Network issues are the most common sources of trouble, but we’ll need a bit more info to spot any differences in network path/configuration between the sources that are working and those that aren’t. Also, some background on the setup (which material, played from where via which app over which protocol over what kind of network) would be helpful. Apologies if you’ve provided this in some other thread, in which case please post a link.

Please could you fill in:
- Describe the network paths that are working and those that aren’t. Hardware, proximity to sources and Phantoms, which band/channels etc.
- Which app you are playing from on the iPad and what sort of material you are playing from where?
- Have you also tried Bluetooth from the iPad Pro? If not, this might help in the process of elimination to find the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(16-Feb-2022, 15:03)struts Wrote:
(16-Feb-2022, 03:15)meta Wrote: okay the glitches returned.  did the 10 second factory install and reset up the phantoms and the glitches are still there.

checked with two other sources over WiFi and the only source that glitches is the new ipad pro.

associated with the glitches is the sound quality is definitely lower quality compared to bluetooth from my phone. 1st time bluetooth beat airplay in my experience.

Strange.  A factory reset usually clears most update/config-related problems. 

Network issues are the most common sources of trouble, but we’ll need a bit more info to spot any differences in network path/configuration between the sources that are working and those that aren’t.  Also, some background on the setup (which material, played from where via which app over which protocol over what kind of network) would be helpful.  Apologies if you’ve provided this in some other thread, in which case please post a link.

Please could you fill in:
- Describe the network paths that are working and those that aren’t.  Hardware, proximity to sources and Phantoms, which band/channels etc.
- Which app you are playing from on the iPad and what sort of material you are playing from where?
- Have you also tried Bluetooth from the iPad Pro?  If not, this might help in the process of elimination to find the problem.

sources:

1).  imac with ethernet connection for internet.  connect to phantoms over wifi with Airplay2   sounds great. no glitching.

2). samsung phone. connected to phantoms bluetooth.  connected to wifi for internet.   sounds good. no glitching
  3) ipad pro   connected to wifi for internet. connected to phantoms via Airplay2.  sound is not as open and nuanced (worse than bluetooth) and has glitching every 5-8 seconds

music app is Amazon music. HD for all. also have confirmed file being played is HD Ultra
song. Earth Wind and Fire. "Reasons"

Wifi router Orbi rbr50
good news. i found an ethernet from right phantom was unplugged from the access point unit.

plugged it back in, restarted ipad and it seems to be playing nicely. sound is way better from the ipad and glitching is less but still there
(16-Feb-2022, 21:34)meta Wrote: sources:

1).  imac with ethernet connection for internet.  connect to phantoms over wifi with Airplay2   sounds great. no glitching.

2). samsung phone. connected to phantoms bluetooth.  connected to wifi for internet.   sounds good. no glitching

3) ipad pro   connected to wifi for internet. connected to phantoms via Airplay2.  sound is not as open and nuanced (worse than bluetooth) and has glitching every 5-8 seconds

music app is Amazon music. HD for all. also have confirmed file being played is HD Ultra
song. Earth Wind and Fire. "Reasons"

Wifi router Orbi rbr50
Thanks.
- Can you confirm that all the Wi-Fi connected devices have line-of-sight to the Access Point (no walls/floors in between)?
- Can you check in the Orbi console that they are all connected to the same node (router or satellite)?

Does the problem only manifest itself with UHD material? Do you know what resolution that particular track is? Can you try lower resolution tracks and see if that stops the glitching?

From the description of the signal paths one thing I notice is that in case (3), which is where you are getting the glitching, the signal is making more Wi-Fi hops than in cases (1) and (2):
(1) iMac-Orbi, Orbi-Phantom (m), Phantom (m)-Phantom (s) =3
(2) Orbi-Samsung, Phantom (m)-Phantom (s) =2
(3) Orbi-iPad, iPad-Orbi, Orbi-Phantom (m), Phantom (m)-Phantom (s) =4

(And this is in addition to any extra hops the signal may be making within your Orbi mesh network, i.e between routers and satellites or satellites and satellites.)

So my hunch is still that this is a Wi-Fi issue and it would be helpful to eliminate this as the cause, especially if the problem doesn’t occur when playing lower resolution tracks.

One thing you could try is to replace the connection from the iPad to the Phantoms with Bluetooth (same as you are doing with the Samsung) if that is possible. This would use a lower quality codec so not apples-to-apples, but it would cut out two Wi-Fi hops essentially turning case (3) into case (2) but with the iPad as the client. Does this make things better/worse/no difference? This could give us a hint whether it is the network or something to do with the iPad that is the problem.

A second thing you could try is forcing the Phantoms over to PLC for the stereo connection (this would eliminate the last Wi-Fi hop). You can do this in the Devialet app. Same/better/worse?

A third thing you could try (although it is a bit more effort) is moving the Phantoms onto a different Wi-Fi frequency band to the iPad (ideally to everything else in your network), then the different hops in your signal path wouldn’t be competing with each other for bandwidth. I don’t know the Orbi system in detail but from the manual it looks like there is a Guest Network function and it looks like you can force this to use a certain channel. Pick a channel in the 5 GHz band and connect the Phantoms (only!) to this network. If you can force your main network to use a 2.4GHz channel then you will have split the four hops evenly over two completely different frequency bands, rather than them all sharing one as I suspect they are doing now. Same/better?

(16-Feb-2022, 22:12)meta Wrote: good news. i found an ethernet from right phantom was unplugged from the access point unit.

plugged it back in, restarted ipad and it seems to be playing nicely. sound is way better from the ipad and glitching is less but still there

Sorry, was typing my previous reply when you posted this and didn’t see it. But now I’m confused a bit. In your previous note you didn’t
mention that the Phantoms were connected to the Orbi over Ethernet. If the iMac is wired to the Orbi network and so are the Phantoms why did you say that the iMac was connecting to the Phantoms over Wi-Fi in case (1)?

I am worried now that I have misunderstood your network topology and which ‘hops’ are going over Wi-Fi and which aren’t. Probably invalidates som or all of my previous note.

(25-Jan-2022, 17:20)ragwo Wrote: Exciting! Thanks for the info! A two band equalizer is a bit crude, but better than no EQ.

Edit:
Anyone installed the new firmware? Any bugs?

It's always a pity that the treble control is lacking, but it's nice to be able to adjust the treble.  
And the latency adjustments have been around since then. 
Thanks for the info.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
(16-Feb-2022, 23:07)struts Wrote:
(16-Feb-2022, 22:12)meta Wrote: good news.  i found an ethernet from right phantom was unplugged from the access point unit.

plugged it back in, restarted ipad and it seems to be playing nicely.  sound is way better from the ipad and glitching is less but still there

Sorry, was typing my previous reply when you posted this and didn’t see it.  But now I’m confused a bit.  In your previous note you didn’t
mention that the Phantoms were connected to the Orbi over Ethernet.  If the iMac is wired to the Orbi network and so are the Phantoms why did you say that the iMac was connecting to the Phantoms over Wi-Fi in case (1)?

I am worried now that I have misunderstood your network topology and which ‘hops’ are going over Wi-Fi and which aren’t.  Probably invalidates som or all of my previous note.

one phantom is plugged into an Orbi extender. the imac is connected with an ethernet cable (for internet not to a Phantom) and can only connect to Phantoms with Airplay 2 when Wifi is on. so that's why i said it was connected over Wifi.
The imac plays flawlessly i guess because it is hard wired.
the problem is the ipad which is only connecting over wifi and has glitches but strange because bluetooth has no problems at all when using my phone.
(18-Feb-2022, 04:23)meta Wrote: one phantom is plugged into an Orbi extender. the imac is connected with an ethernet cable (for internet not to a Phantom) and can only connect to Phantoms with Airplay 2 when Wifi is on. so that's why i said it was connected over Wifi.
the problem is the ipad which is only connecting over wifi and has glitches but strange because bluetooth has no problems at all when using my phone.
OK, so one Phantom is wired to an Orbi satellite but not the other? Is it possible to wire both? That would be your best bet. If that’s
not possible please try the three recommendations in my previous post of 16th Feb. The first is just a troubleshooting step to eliminate some variables but either of the last two may provide a solution. However I think wiring both Phantoms to the same Orbi node is your best chance of getting a stable configuration.

Between the Orbi and the Phantom mesh the signal is making a lot of wireless hops in case (3) and (If one Phantom is wired but not the other) a different number for left and right channels. I suspect this is the cause of your problems.

(18-Feb-2022, 10:37)struts+1 Wrote:
(18-Feb-2022, 04:23)meta Wrote: one phantom is plugged into an Orbi extender. the imac is connected with an ethernet cable (for internet not to a Phantom) and can only connect to Phantoms with Airplay 2 when Wifi is on. so that's why i said it was connected over Wifi.
OK, so one Phantom is wired to an Orbi satellite but not the other?  Is it possible to wire both?  That would be your best bet.  If that’s
not possible please try the three recommendations in my previous post of 16th Feb. The first is just a troubleshooting step to eliminate some variables but either of the last two may provide a solution.  However I think wiring both Phantoms to the same Orbi node is your best chance of getting a stable configuration. 

Between the Orbi and the Phantom mesh the signal is making a lot of wireless hops in case (3) and (If one Phantom is wired but not the other) a different number for left and right channels.  I suspect this is the cause of your problems.

+1
i have had lots of issues with my Orbi router but now seem to have fixed the issues. My problem was the overlapping Wi-Fi signals and this caused issues between my left and right stereo pair. i fixed the issue by reducing the Wi-Fi power / reach within the Orbi router settings. i have set my power to 25% per node this has stabilised my system and no longer get the drop outs