Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New to the forum
(17-Sep-2016, 03:11)Scubadon Wrote: Got the 2 golds today and set them up. Streaming tidal to test the sound because I have not decided how I want to stream my NAS.  My last speakers were Pass Labs Rushmores (50,000) with Modwright 36.5 2 piece pre amp ($9,500).  The two golds, dialog box and stands cost less than just the pre amp. So, I had reasonable expectations for my new Phantoms.

Fired them up and WOW.  These things are incredible!  In some ways, especially in the low end, they are better the Rushmores.  In other ways, as expected, they are not as articulate as the big speakers.  They are more "fun" to listen to.  Speaker placement and listening position are not nearly as critical as the  Rushmores.  At 50 lbs with the stands verses 275 lbs, they are also much easier to move around.  They are certainly loud enough.  The single best way to describe these Phantoms is "involving".

I think I will be able to spend more time listening to music instead of worrying about cables, racks, components, tubes, etc etc.

I feel I will be very happy with this system. My wife has been very patient with me over the last 36 years.  She gave me two thumbs up on these.  That is a good thing!

Thanks to everyone for all the posts with great advise.  I hope to contribute to this great community in the future. I will also add a better evaluation once I have had a little more time with these great speakers.

Glad you liked them. Phantoms are amazing considering their size, price and performance.  Unfortunately, you will be a little frustrated when you try to connect to your NAS server. Dialog can not read from NAS servers and only input is optical, no USB.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(23-Sep-2016, 03:28)sekriT Wrote: Glad you liked them. Phantoms are amazing considering their size, price and performance.  Unfortunately, you will be a little frustrated when you try to connect to your NAS server. Dialog can not read from NAS servers and only input is optical, no USB.

When you run Spark on a Mac/PC and you mount the NAS on it Spark with Dialog can access and stream your music same as when the files are on the local storage. Of course it looses connection when the NAS drive is unmounted. What does not work (yet?) is UPNP access. It is a promised feature but not yet implemented.
(24-Sep-2016, 07:33)streamy Wrote:
(23-Sep-2016, 03:28)sekriT Wrote: Glad you liked them. Phantoms are amazing considering their size, price and performance.  Unfortunately, you will be a little frustrated when you try to connect to your NAS server. Dialog can not read from NAS servers and only input is optical, no USB.

When you run Spark on a Mac/PC and you mount the NAS on it Spark with Dialog can access and stream your music same as when the files are on the local storage. Of course it looses connection when the NAS drive is unmounted. What does not work (yet?) is UPNP access. It is a promised feature but not yet implemented.

Right.  They don't even have UPNP or DLNA protocols implemented into the dialog, which is hard to believe.  That tells me how far behind the software development is. Why? is a great question. It's hard to understand the French mentality and pride. Only solution for Devialet to catch up is to be purchased by a US household company which is master of writing hardware specific propriety software, or purchase a third party software company like Jriver, etc. There are so many great options out there.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
Hard to explain... I enjoy listening to my 2 gold phantoms more than any system I have ever had set up. Over the years, I have had world class amps, pre amps, turntables, reel to reel (I know I am dating myself), and CD transports. I have had three dedicated music rooms and spent several hundred hours getting everything tweeked just right. Now I just enjoy music again and don't worry about how everything is set up. I did optimize placement of the Phantoms and have sound treatment on the wall behind them. Pretty easy with speaker + stands that are about 50 lbs instead of 275 lbs each!

My wife has spent more time listening to music with me in the past month than in the past 36 years. She says the Phantoms sound better than anything else I have had or that she has heard anywhere else except maybe live concerts.

My 8 year old grand daughter now asks me to play music for her when she comes to visit. First time ever!

Now instead of planning upgrades to my system, I am planning and waiting for 5.5 surround with 5 golds. I am betting it will sound pretty good!!!!
Great comments Don!
Are you using the Tree Stands with your Golds?
Yes. They work and look great.