Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Expert Pro upgrade?
Nope.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(22-Sep-2020, 03:04)melozen Wrote: Thank you very much for you responses, you helped me to make up my mind. Damon, your comment about your posts made me smile. Smile
Now I have to decide if I should go with 440 Pro or for $1000 more with two 220 Pros (I guess 440 is not exactly two Masters).

You're welcome! I'm glad I got a smile out of someone. I hoped that it would. Usually my posts are so long that people wake up hours later, feeling dazed and confused.

I still recall getting my 220 back after the upgrade. I was amazed at the difference- the improvement- in sound quality. Even the D120 was a daunting purchase for me; it took me about seven months to make that purchase decision. Then when the Pro upgrade was announced I debated for another two or three months before deciding to make that expenditure. I'm glad I did, though I think that having this much money invested in Hi Fi is a bit nonsensical. Still, I have not had the slightest interest in any other amp since I made the D120 purchase.

Just one other thought, and I may have mis-read your post, but I think that the D440 Pro is in fact, two complete D220 Pros. My memory is that the Pro dual mono's are two units that are linked, but that can be separated and used individually. A second remote would be needed but there is not more differentiation between a master and companion unit.

Ah, I see that point has just been noted. I'm going to post this anyway as I've typed too much to waste it.

Cheerio
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you Delija!

That was my understanding too, it would be too good to be true - to trade a Master and a Companion for the upgraded and complete two Masters.
Hence the $1000 difference.

Does anybody know if the Chrystal connecting cable is the same in 400 and 440? I am thinking of keeping the old one and just reuse it if I end up getting two 220s.

Demon, you are too funny! Smile

Cheers
(22-Sep-2020, 15:45)thumb5 Wrote: I thought these days the master and companion were in fact identical (as @Laura said)?

But I'm not sure it was always like that, was it?
There was a time when the companion was not entirely a master, and now it is. Am I right?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(22-Sep-2020, 15:25)kerkhoffd Wrote: Congrats.
Been pondering about it too, but I am still in doubt. Still a lot of money.

Thanks.
Yes, it is still a lot of money - that is why I hesitated a little bit longer...

atb, Tom
Devialet 440pro CI - TAD CE-1
Antipodes K50
Bauer Audio DPS3 iT/v.d.H Colibri XGP LW
Germany
(22-Sep-2020, 17:45)melozen Wrote: Does anybody know if the Chrystal connecting cable is the same in 400 and 440? I am thinking of keeping the old one and just reuse it if I end up getting two 220s.

Now with 440 Pro Devialet ships Audioquest cables.

Interesting... Do you happen to know which ones?
Audioquest Carbon

(22-Sep-2020, 15:32)Delija Wrote:
(22-Sep-2020, 13:42)Laura Wrote:
(22-Sep-2020, 03:04)melozen Wrote: Thank you very much for you responses, you helped me to make up my mind. Damon, your comment about your posts made me smile. Smile
Now I have to decide if I should go with 440 Pro or for $1000 more with two 220 Pros (I guess 440 is not exactly two Masters).

A 440 Pro is two 220 Pros, there is no difference in the units themselves, just that the 'slave' does not come with a remote control. So if you wanted two 220 Pros it's probably cheaper to get the 440, split them and find a second remote somewhere.

It's not the same. Companion doesn't have network interface.

Erm.. Nope, for the old 200 / 250 etc you would be correct but for the Pro series they are absolutely identical. Either can be the master, either can be the slave and they both have the core infinity board too so it would be a bit daft to put that in with no network port  Wink
Thank you Delija!