Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No sound on Companion????
Sad 
Angry

After waiting for a week, all excited, my Dev companion came into the dealer today, so hotfooted it up to Coventry to pick up.

Se it all up as per the rather sparse instructions, including using the same (?) two speaker outputs as shown for left & right. Did the configure thing for both using default file name - really only switching on SAM....

Left channel (Master) is fine - right channel... NOTHING?????
Tried unplugging the cards on both units and restarting both and it says D200 on each?????
Still no rt channel.....
Checked speaker cables (OK)

Have no idea if the companion needs updating the sware to match the master - tried. but didn't see the files, so I guess not??????

What the hell am I doing wrong?

NOT Impressed with the almost non-existent docs on configuring a companion.

grrrrrrrrrrrr
Yours - very frustrated...and fed up! Confused
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Just to check, as it wasn't clear from your post: you have saved separate configurations for the master and slave?

Are you using the standard RCA-RCA connection between the two units?  Is that correctly shown in the configurator (i.e. not RCA-to-AES/EBU)?

You might want to make sure that the trigger cable between the two units is de-selected in the configurator unless you've connected one (not supplied as standard, I think).

Don't worry too much about the name of the configuration as it shows on the display, as it doesn't mean a lot.

Will think of some other hints and tips if I can...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the reply...

It is set up EXACTLY as per the few lines they call documentation.
IE the link cable (supplied) goes from digital to digital (port next to 3 pin AES) Soon as you select D400 in the configurator, it automatically sets the link as per diagrams.
\trouble is that there is sadly little or no decent info on the rest of the set-up options...
As far as the configurator is concerned, yes there are two same-named files, one for master, one for slave.
Onwe thing i did notice was when the slave is firing up it says "SP1" whatever that means, where the master shows the correct name of the file.
I do use the 3 pin (on Master) for the CD transport so no idea if there is a conflict??? can't see why?
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
What do the displays on each amp indicate, i.e., check the companion does know it's configured as a companion.
To be fair, once you've got the basic configuration with both units in mono and the link between them, I'm not sure there are many other set-up options that apply specifically to dual-mono (or if there are, they've passed me by!).  One is whether or not to use inputs from the slave, but if you haven't explicitly selected any that should be turned off.  What sort of thing were you expecting to see?

One thing that nearly caught me out is that if you set any non-default options for the speakers, you have to make sure that they're set for both the master and slave.  The configurator doesn't seem to do that automatically, except for SAM.

You should be able to use the AES/EBU connector on the master as an input, as normal.
Warwickshire, UK
You could set up the new companion as a master, maybe using your old config before going dual mono. This would at least serve as a check that the thing works at all.
(22-Jun-2015, 20:50)teddlesdee Wrote: Onwe thing i did notice was when the slave is firing up it says "SP1" whatever that means, where the master shows the correct name of the file.

It's not the default configuration that comes with the companion, is it? You should be using a separate config file saved from the configurator for the slave. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, just want to be sure.)
Warwickshire, UK
(22-Jun-2015, 21:17)Confused Wrote: You could set up the new companion as a master, maybe using your old config before going dual mono.  This would at least serve as a check that the thing works at all.

Beat me to it!

Also might be worth checking the info displays (long press on the right-hand remote control button, then short presses to cycle through) to check for any errors.
Warwickshire, UK
(22-Jun-2015, 20:18)teddlesdee Wrote: Angry

After waiting for a week, all excited, my Dev companion came into the dealer today, so hotfooted it up to Coventry to pick up.

Se it all up as per the rather sparse instructions, including using the same (?) two speaker outputs as shown for left & right. Did the configure thing for both using default file name - really only switching on SAM....

Left channel (Master) is fine - right channel... NOTHING?????
Tried unplugging the cards on both units and restarting both and it says D200 on each?????
Still no rt channel.....
Checked speaker cables (OK)

Have no idea if the companion needs updating the sware to match the master - tried. but didn't see the files, so I guess not??????

What the hell am I doing wrong?

NOT Impressed with the almost non-existent docs on configuring a companion.

grrrrrrrrrrrr
Yours - very frustrated...and fed up! Confused

From your description of ther speaker connections you have connected them as 2 x D200 - the speakers should be connected 1 to each D200 using only the red speaker connections as shown in the config set up. Sorry if this sounds condescending. Also you need a master config on the master and a slave on the second and then the master wakes up the slave and both are called 400, if either comes up as a 200 the configs you are using are wrong.

As you went up to Coventry to get it where are you by the way? Sorry just looked at your profile - where are you in Gloucestershire as I am as well so could help if not to far away.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
a few questions here for a bit of trouble shooting-

you mentioned that when you pulled the cards out the display on the amp said "d200" but what about with both cards in? does it change to "d400"

Also, the "SP1" is the slave configuration name so thats not a problem, you can change it in the settings somewhere.

What are you doing to test this system out? you havent quite made that clear. are you using one of your CD player or the brown noise input? the brown noise input has a bug where it only plays on the master.

have you updated both units to the SAME firmware?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)