Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Od'A as Power amp
With time on my hands, one tinkers.
If i wanted to use my Dev as power amps purely, how do i configure it?
I want to try a Pre amp that i got hold of, and the Od'A as monoblocs.
Thanks,
George.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Wouldn't you just configure it to have a stereo analog line input on a pair of RCA connectors, then hook up your pre-amp to that input? (Assuming your pre-amp has analog outputs, of course.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
But then i would be still going through the Dev as a pre
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Yes, you have no other way into Devialet amps. The power amps can not be accessed directly, so either one of the digital inputs or via AD conversion to the same 'spot' within the amp. You can set the input to bypass volume by selecting pass-through (normally used in a home theatre setup). This way your pre can control volume without being affected by Devialet's volume setting.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
There is no separate pre and power amp in the Devialet ADH system.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

You can configure the line inputs in "pass thru" mode. This gives a fixed input that would work with an external pre-amp.

Although as f1eng mentions above, it is not quite that simple. This does not by-pass the Devialet's volume control, which is part of ADH, it simply "fixes" the volume at a set level.

Furthermore, the Devialet's DAC is an integral part of ADH. So depending on what source you intend to use, you may end up running source to DAC to pre-amp to the Devialet, the Devialet then converts the analogue feed from the pre-amp to digital (ADC) this goes to the ADH, which is essentially pre-amp, DAC, and amp in one. So no matter how good the external pre-amp and DAC may be, you are still using the Devialet's digital volume control (albeit fixed) and the Devialet's DAC.

This will work, but from a technical perspective it does not seem a good idea. The external pre-amp and DAC may add a bit of euphonic flavour that you find pleasing, and there is nothing wrong with that. Although it is quite likely the additions will not be euphonic and it simply does not sound as good.

In a way, I do exactly as described above when I use my Devialet to power the front channels in my AV system. The Devialet is fed an analogue signal from my surround processor, which acts as DAC and pre-amp.

This sounds OK, great for movies, but does it sound as good as feeding the Devialet digitally? No, it does not.

Anyway - I wish you good luck if you decide to try it, and have fun!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
Probably not worth while to try.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.