Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One week countdown...
(09-Jul-2020, 03:36)mdconnelly Wrote: I have 2 specific issues that many others have experienced and that Devialet has acknowledged but without any resolution...

1) Roon RAAT cannot stream hi-res music via gigabit ethernet.  Some people do not have this problem but many do.  It’s not a showstopper because streaming via WiFi or 100 mbps does work.

2) The online configurator has known problems when configuring for dual-mono.  Editing a config is not possible without serious problems. 

Hey, I love the sound of my Expert Pro, but Devialet has known about these problems for a long time without any updates.  Perhaps we will see them at some point but the total lack of communication and bug resolution is frustrating.

I have a SkyQ modem with gigabit ethernet output into an Innuos Roon server, which has a gigabit ethernet output that goes directly into the Core Infinity input. I've only used Roon since getting the Innuos in March 2019 and configuring this way. I've never had a problem. I've used Qobuz Sublime HD since day it was launched in the UK 3 or 4 years ago. 

I did search and there were a few people who reported a gigabit issue, possibly related to cabling, but only a few and 15 posts!
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/disappe...ts/68298/4

FWIW, I've only used CAT5 and CAT6a and have never had a problem. 

I did have occasional problems with 24/192 files a long time ago, but those were due to my home network and switching. 

I have no experience of dual mono, but a friend has one and he has not mentioned any problems. 

The other guy mentioned at least two issues per input. I'd like to know what they are.

One minor issue I did have is that if I opened Roon and selected music when my Expert was in standby, it would wake up the Expert and I then had to press play again. This was fixed in Roon's latest update a few weeks ago, now I get a little orange message that there will be a delay as the Expert wakes up, but it then plays.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
I will start with some listed by Devialet themselves:
  • Bluetooth is not working (promised but not implemented)
  • Devialet AIR: Windows instability (WOW, Devialet themselves says that it is instable :O)
  • Devialet Remote App: The volume control is inactive before streaming starts
Now let's switch to the ones we suffer:
  • Random crashes in the unit (when I check the unit's error screen, time to time I see an error and I have to restart my unit, as it is a silent crash, impossible to know when and why happened)
  • You can't install the Devialet AIR to any Apple device anymore. Apple doesn't allow 32bit apps to run/installed in the Catalina version (that all the Macs for the last 10 months are being shipped with that version) and Apple is about to release Big Sur means that AIR is not anymore a to use Expert Pros.
  • Online Config editor has known bugs. Please go and read them I won't pick them here one by one.
  • UPnP doesn't appear in the players. Randomly (especially when you use AIR frequently) Devialet doesn't show up as a UPnP renderer. It will take some days to appear back in the list based on nothing. (I have tried different routers, switches, and wi-fi configurations, this inconsistent behavior exists in all of them)
  • When you have bitrate changes in your playlist, Devialet AIR will go on mute/crash? and you will need to restart the unit or deselect and select the Devialet from the menubar of the Devialet AIR tool again to work around the issue. That's always, the only workaround for this problem to upsampling all the files to a certain bitrate.
  • You CAN'T disable ethernet input. Even if you switch off the Ethernet input, whenever you plug a cable unit will be automatically disconnect from Wifi and try to use the Ethernet. (without CI, it was capable to keep both Ethernet and WIFI connections together, it was an handy feature for me as I was streaming via cable but controlling the power with the Expert App)
  • When you install a new config, the device can't connect to network for a while. (When you reach the IP address of the device, it says configuring and it stalls in that mode for ages if you don't remove the SDCARD) and restart the unit and then install the config again. You can see that the device will get and leave the IP address again and again in that situation if you follow the screen of the unit.
  • AIRPLAY is gonna randomly stop and when you try to reconnect it won't until you restart the unit. (I am sure that's less frequently happening if you compare to the above issues but it does happen and if I am watching something, I hate Devialet again every time. It never happens with any other AIRPLAY supported devices in my home, please stop saying it is about my wifi mesh or it is about my network connection because it is NOT)
  • Seems like the Gigabit ethernet issue only happens to a few of us. Seems like according to you, it is not an important bug again it is your personal opinion, it is a bug that annoys us!
I am not using Roon I like their UX but I don't like the sound quality, I am sure there are bugs in RAAT but I can't list them. I am sure there are people can add at least 5 more to this list if not more. I am happy to be an Expert Pro owner but I am really tired of seeing people giving positive responses about Devialet's 2-year silence, they are not acting properly in terms of support.
@ssfas - I think it's awesome that you are not experiencing problems with your Expert Pro! I'm not quite sure why you seem troubled with those of us that are. These are legitimate issues, many of which Devialet Support has acknowledged as I mentioned in my earlier post. Those of us that have experienced them have spent an inordinate amount of time communicating with Devialet Support and troubleshooting our networks which is how, in some cases such as the Roon RAAT bug, we have found workarounds.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
New firmware is available now...
(28-Jul-2020, 16:36)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: New firmware is available now...
Here are the release notes.  No mention of fixing the Roon RAAT Devialet handshake.

On July 21, 2020, we released the Devialet App 1.12. This release includes the following improvements (compared to Devialet App 1.11):
Devialet App 1.12
  • Added an option to disable optical and optical/analog auto-switch for Phantom Premier and Phantom Reactor.
  • Further improved discovery and communication with Devialet devices for network environments with unusually high communication latencies.
  • (iOS only) Added a way to work around network restrictions preventing firmware update from DOS 2.9 or earlier for some customers in Mainland China.
  • (iOS only) Fixed iOS system volume erroneously applied to the speakers at the app launch in some cases.
  • New languages: Indonesian, Vietnamese, and Dutch.
  • Other bug fixes and improvements.
Important note: All your devices must be updated to DOS 2.10 or later in order to work correctly in multiroom or stereo configurations.
Because of the network restrictions, some customers in Mainland China using Android may not be able to detect the availability of the DOS 2.10 update. We are actively working on preparing an alternate solution for these cases.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
It is an APK file. Doesn:t look like the others firware installation kits.
(28-Jul-2020, 16:56)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: It is an APK file. Doesn:t look like the others firware installation kits.
Didn't I read somewhere that Devialet wanted to have a unified app for both Phantom and Devialet?  Perhaps this is it.

Also, check out bullet two:

Further improved discovery and communication with Devialet devices for network environments with unusually high communication latencies.

Could this be the solution to the Roon RAAT-Devialet handshake gigabit handshake issue?

Not sure.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
It is for Phantom, not for Expert PRO.
It is on Expert Pro firmware web page.

I think Devialet is delivering on the unified app for the Phantom and the Expert lines.  If you look for Devialet on the iOS app store, you can find the app for the Phantom.  If you scroll down, you will find the following notes:

What’s New

Jul 22, 2020
Version 1.12
This new version includes:
- An option to disable optical and optical/analog autoswitch for Phantom Premier and Phantom Reactor.
- New languages: Indonesian, Vietnamese, and Dutch.
- Further improved discovery and communication with Devialet devices for network environments with unusually high communication latencies.
- Added a way to work around network restrictions preventing firmware update from DOS 2.9 or earlier for some customers in Mainland China.
- Fixed iOS system volume erroneously applied to the speakers at app launch in some cases.
- Other bug fixes and improvements.

I am not seeing any notes under the iOS app for the Expert, however.  So maybe Devialet wants us Expert owners to use the app originally developed for Phantom.

Typical crisp communication from our beloved Devialet! Huh