Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Optical dropouts
Hi all,

So it has been a looong time my last post.

At the time I had problems with drop outs.
* Plugged everything in Ethernet, wifi, plc, optical to one Phantom gold, then the other ...
* Bought new cisco switch dedicated to the phantoms and the dialog, new Access point, and got a new dialog...
* Ruined my Ass on all the right cables.
Finally got told by support that the power in my house was dirty ... Sad
Anyways I have been saving up for a PS audio power plant to rectify my power.
The power plant arrived yesterday and I messured my power to be pretty near perfect, but to my GRAND supprise it didn't help at all.

I STILL GET AUDIO DROPOUTS! 
I'm sooo close beeing done with the Phantoms. They are SO GREAT, and yet SOOO crappy.

Has anybody had any luck eliminating the dropouts, with the rumored new firmware?'

Regards
Thor
I don't use optical, finding that the sound quality is not as good as Upnp. Before giving up on the Phantoms, suggest you try Upnp.
I don’t see why your power supply would only cause issues with optical? Did you try streaming something via Spark, or Airplay?

If that works fine I would really push back to Devialet, makes no sense that only optical would have issues?

I have recently switched from optical to phantoms - and now now go to an optical switch - and into the dialogue which is known to have issues, and even now I only hear a tiny drop out every hour or two
My main source I use can only connect via optical and regardless of configuration, have never eliminated dropout. 

PLC was worst experience, very obvious dropouts and more frequent. Unusable.

Ethernet connections aren't as bad, drop out is for shorter split seconds and less frequent that with PLC. 

From experience to date, appears 2 separate issues: 1) PLC 2) Optical

How much of current drop-outs I get are due to Optical issues or Ethernet issues is difficult to be 100% sure what's causing. Have had rare drop-outs before when not using optical, when streaming direct from Spark/Spotify/Ethernet but haven't enough conclusive info.
(17-Apr-2019, 06:34)Snoopy8 Wrote: I don't use optical, finding that the sound quality is not as good as Upnp.   Before giving up on the Phantoms, suggest you try Upnp.

I'm using my phantoms as my televisoin speakers, and my old samsung is not on my network, and I don't think it uses Upnp anyways.
But I'll try to streem from my computer tonight. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(17-Apr-2019, 07:23)Jamington2004 Wrote: I don’t see why your power supply would only cause issues with optical? Did you try streaming something via Spark, or Airplay?

If that works fine I would really push back to Devialet, makes no sense that only optical would have issues?

I have recently switched from optical to phantoms - and now now go to an optical switch - and into the dialogue which is known to have issues, and even now I only hear a tiny drop out every hour or two

Hi Jamington2004
My problem occures on every platform. Bluetooth, Airplay, streeming services and optical.
The reason I thought it was because of bad power was that Devialet Customer Care told me so "After studying the data, our technicians understand that your internet runs perfectly and there is no problem with the Devialet devices. The issue comes from the Powerline connectivity (PLC), the power supply to your house is unstable, it will affect the connectivity of the whole system."
This however is wierd as I have ethernet cabel pluged in everywhere on this "wireless" system Smile

I have been looking at optical switches, but that is mostly to be able to control the volume with my logitech remote.
Do you have a link to a nice optical switch?

Regards 
Thor
Wow - sounds like you are really unlucky Sad

I just use one of these Lindy ones - https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/s...gKJT_D_BwE

Does the trick but am thinking to have 1 less device and just go manual and swap cables when I want to watch a film Smile Old skool! Smile
Ok … thought I would give you guys my latest news.

I updated to DOS 2 and NO MORE DROPOUTS!!!!!!

It wasn't a hardware problem
It wasn't a power problem
It wasn't a "Im too stupid to understand what I'm doing" problem
It was a firmware problem!!!!!
ARGH!
I've been SOOOOOO close to selling my speakers multiple times, but I couldn't get myself to pass on my problems. (I'm better than that, or too stupid)

The only thing I struggle with now is the los of sync, but I've heard about a patch that fixes that. Smile
On a side note it sucks to have to borrow my wifes phone, to manage my phantoms. I wish they would have kept windows as a platform.

I don't know If DOS 2 will fix the dropouts for everybody, But it did for me. (happy happy)
(13-Dec-2019, 21:21)ThorH Wrote: Ok … thought I would give you guys my latest news.

I updated to DOS 2 and NO MORE DROPOUTS!!!!!!

It wasn't a hardware problem
It wasn't a power problem
It wasn't a "Im too stupid to understand what I'm doing" problem
It was a firmware problem!!!!!
ARGH!
I've been SOOOOOO close to selling my speakers multiple times, but I couldn't get myself to pass on my problems. (I'm better than that, or too stupid)

The only thing I struggle with now is the los of sync, but I've heard about a patch that fixes that. Smile
On a side note it sucks to have to borrow my wifes phone, to manage my phantoms. I wish they would have kept windows as a platform.

I don't know If DOS 2 will fix the dropouts for everybody, But it did for me. (happy happy)
I'm on the opposite side. After I upgraded to DOS2 my right speaker experiences dropouts. My left Phantom is connected with an optical and they are both connected via high quality ethernet cables directly into my router which puts them on the same network. I removed the Dialog since it's not needed as stated by Devialet.

This setup has worked without issues (with Dialog) prior to upgrading to DOS2.
It‘s a pity! I already stated in another post here in the forum that we should warn people that have a working DOS1 Phantom system to (encourage to not) upgrade to DOS2 as they might experience problems after the upgrade they did not have before. DOS1 and Spark in the end was/is not as bad as it was perceived here in the forum. For me it still works flawlessly.