Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(06-Dec-2015, 18:43)Confused Wrote: I have found an alternative to Original d'Atelier which is somewhat cheaper and a little more my style......

http://bertoldinigiuliana.com/

(My apologies for this post - good luck at the launch guys!)

I should like to point out that I an going for the Steampunk collection as Guillaume insisted on having the Fetish collection.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
http://fr.devialet.com/assets/blog/DEVIA...ier-FR.pdf

A review on the French website.
Too bad I don't speak French. A short translation of the verdict perhaps?
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(11-Dec-2015, 00:16)Cylob Wrote: Too bad I don't speak French. A short translation of the verdict perhaps?

....a new Reference in musical perfection. We were won over by extraordinary musicality...
Interesting is that French reviewer says:

In Devialet...the sound is more refined with each new update...

With 9.0 firmware we were able to realize the obvious evolution of musicality on all levels...
Can't wait fo new firmware
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Just left the UK KJ launch in London. Disappointing turnout as I was there for 3 hours from 10.15 and in that time there were only 6 other visitors - 2 singles and 2 couples - and only 1 was an existing Devialet owner. Decent demonstration using a 4 box DCS front end and Wilson Alexia speakers. The finish is a light copper gold colour and not in the least bit garish.
Impossible to comment on comparative sound quality except to say that with the right material the sound was exceptional as would probably have been the case had an 800 been used.
In my opinion such a purchase, versus an 800, is an act of faith in the integrity of the Devialet designers and otherwise if you can afford one and want one and like the finish.
As I understand it there are three components to the design beyond what you get with the 800.
First is the colour, limited edition and signature aspect which one person will covet and another disregard or dislike.
Second are the electrical technical improvements to the circuit boards which I suspect will be incorporated into the existing 800 at some stage and probably be retrofittable to current 800s too, at a price
Third are the physical technical improvements by the incorporation of a copper baseplate and the use of much more heat dissipation gunk which apparently is hugely expensive. I could see this not being incorporated into existing 800s or offered as an upgrade on grounds of pricing and/or maintaining a bit of exclusivity to the limited edition product. But this is my view, not the official word from Devialet.
Apparently the KJ demonstrator now flies off to their Dubai dealer.
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

England
Thanks Ian! Will be interesting to see the temp Delta via the GUI when available compared to "all" expert series and if it manifests as cooler with the added power. I don't personally appreciate the copper color tho find it far from 'garish'... simply inappropriate and/or out of place for high-end audio componentry. Of course my tastes run identically for chrome plating as well, ie; just can't like it. Copper is and does strike me as "FCK" decor. Not the euphemism you probably think I mean... just "French Country Kitchen" as that's the ONLY room in the home I'm even remotely accustomed to seeing that much copper color en masse.

I'm also curious about their claim of "much more" thermal transfer pad being used in the limited edition. Especially after my conversion to an even more expensive/efficient thermal pad than Devialet uses. Then finding that I could get cooler temps by going back inside and reducing the amount of the fretfully expensive transfer pad I originally used even after blocking both inlets/outlets of the convection cooling provisions I added. Too much of it seemed to act as a retardant with relation to dissipation.

Good to get this first eyes/ears-on report 1st-hand and eagerly anticipating the analog, digital & supply temps when someone here takes possession.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Any more opinion about sound quality of Original?
(18-Dec-2015, 23:37)moreno1973 Wrote: Any more opinion about sound quality of Original?

When I attended the KJ demo on 12th December, 82 of the 97 available Originals had been sold or earmarked, so if you want to consider one in terms of sound quality you will need to move fast.

Drip down of the technical improvements to the 800 is likely, I think, in terms of the A board and the D board; less likely, I think, in terms of the thermal management/contingent components which might be uneconomic in terms of lifting the price of the 800 by too great a degree.

No doubt more will be revealed at the Munich show.
MacBook Pro (with Air)

England