Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(10-Feb-2016, 10:35)Our Wrote: This is also, with the level of understanding I have, the way the d1-server from Totaldac has been built : a music server (small linux box), a USB galvanic isolation (provided by his USB cable) and a reclocker.

Just for information: the TotalDac D1 USB cable does not provide galvanic isolation. There's only two "ready" products at this moment (Intona and Coolgear) that offer full galvanic isolation for high speed USB 2.0 (480Mbps). Others (mainly DAC makers) that say they offer it don't isolate USB itself but somewhere upstream after the PHY and the USB chipset like XMOS for example in an I2S link tying into the DAC. Of course this is better than nothing but not not the same or as optimal.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Feb-2016, 18:31)Antoine Wrote:
(10-Feb-2016, 10:35)Our Wrote: This is also, with the level of understanding I have, the way the d1-server from Totaldac has been built : a music server (small linux box), a USB galvanic isolation (provided by his USB cable) and a reclocker.

Just for information: the TotalDac D1 USB cable does not provide galvanic isolation. There's only two "ready" products at this moment (Intona and Coolgear) that offer full galvanic isolation for high speed USB 2.0 (480Mbps). Others (mainly DAC makers) that say they offer it don't isolate USB itself but somewhere upstream after the PHY and the USB chipset like XMOS for example in an I2S link tying into the DAC. Of course this is better than nothing but not not the same or as optimal.
Thanks Antoine for this precision.
If I'm not mistaken, the Mutec MC-3+ USB also offers complete galvanic isolation on its USB input.
The specs say it does but I don't think it has the full isolation. I think they also do it after the PHY and/or USB chipset. Not sure though, we'd have to ask Mutec for the details.

I have to admit though that while I understand the theoretical benefits of real full USB isolation I'm not sure how much it matters, if it even does, compared to the USB isolation higher upstream.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Feb-2016, 18:57)Antoine Wrote: The specs say it does but I don't think it has the full isolation. I think they also do it after the PHY and/or USB chipset. Not sure though, we'd have to ask Mutec for the details.

I have to admit though that while I understand the theoretical benefits of real full USB isolation I'm not sure how much it matters, if it even does, compared to the USB isolation higher upstream.

From their description :
"It has been designed as a dedicated building block with a power supply that’s independent from the main board of the unit. In addition, the USB interface is galvanically isolated from the other parts of the circuitry and employs its own ultra-low noise audio oscillators that once again are autonomous and isolated from the other processes."
Not technically competent to judge. Just able to appreciate the result :-)
Like I said, I know the specs say it does but I doubt it. Smile Recently I asked the question on the Computeraudiophile forum about the Wyred4Sound DAC's for which the specs also said it has the galvanic isolation and the designer answered here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac...post500660

Quote:The DSDse USB interface is fully galvanically isolated but this is after the USB interface which is why power to the USB input is needed for the product to operate. Inside the dac is where the galvanic isolation happens on the I2S lines that feed the DAC.

Since there were no standard off the shelf USB high speed isolators (so a galvanically isolating 'bridge' with USB in and out) until very recently designers would have to develop it themselves. Both difficult and expensive so no one did it and instead did it like described.

Silanna was the first to integrate this into an IC. Intona did it using two FPGA's and a lot of other parts.
http://www.silanna.com/usb.html

The Netherlands
Another interesting development will most probably be introduced at Munich where Mutec will have a booth for the first time, and should introduce to the Audiophile public a brand new 10 Mhz clock, in order to provide high quality clocking for digital audio stream.
Here are a few clues :
For German speaking audience : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Q1Dmel-cI&t=310

For English speaking readers : http://www.mutec-net.com/downloads/Ref10...2014_E.pdf

Interesting development indeed :-)
Just decided to buy a OdA. Very excited! 
If anyone is interested on my trusted 250 send me a pm. 
Hand delivery in Paris or London.
(13-Feb-2016, 14:59)GTX Wrote: Just decided to buy a OdA. Very excited! 

Congrats!  Cool

Any idea of shipping date? I am still hoping for early March...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Feb-2016, 15:01)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(13-Feb-2016, 14:59)GTX Wrote: Just decided to buy a OdA. Very excited! 

Congrats!  Cool

Any idea of shipping date? I am still hoping for early March...

Guillaume

It seems that Devialet is not providing info on delivery time...I guess we just have to wait.

Do you have a opinion on the cables provided with it?

F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
(13-Feb-2016, 16:45)Frnch Wrote: Do you have a opinion on the cables provided with it?

F

Not really! I plan to use my existing cables. As far as I know the power cords are entry level AQ. The Carbon AQ SPDIF is slightly higher spec but nothing special. I can't imagine Devialet would have chosen these cables for their SQ characteristics.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK