Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(08-Mar-2016, 21:22)JRIGGS Wrote:
(08-Mar-2016, 21:06)Antoine Wrote: The Devialet is not an integrated class A pre-amp and class-D power-amp. Common misconception.

True, but I didn't assume this.  What I understand is that the class A component of the d'Atlier has been revamped (as has other things) so I expect it to be better as a pre-amp than the other Devialet products.  Same goes for the class d component of the unit.  So my question still stands:  has anyone used it as a pre amp and does it out-perform over other Devialet units operating as a pre amp?

The class A component of the Devialet has nothing to do with pre-amp functionality. It is part of the power amp part. The ADH concept is that the class A and the class D parts work in parallel for power amplification.
(09-Mar-2016, 09:00)hk6230 Wrote: Hee Hee. I wish Devialet will offer us some hardware upgrade like DAC, wifi receptor, etc. Then, it will truly be future-proof.

(09-Mar-2016, 10:11)oelli Wrote:
(09-Mar-2016, 01:50)hk6230 Wrote: Ha ha, I think you are over-thinking (or over-wishing) on the PCM1792 DAC's capability. I think DSD64 is the limit for this DAC, unless they change to a different DAC like Antoine said.

Devialet does DSD to PCM conversion in software (DSP), not using the PCM1792 for this. The PCM1792 in the Devialet always gets 192kHz PCM.

Acording to Devialet white paper they convert DSD to PCM 40Bit/384kHz with their MAT.

http://fr.devialet.com/assets/V3/pdf/Whi...xpert-.pdf

Quote:MINIMAL ARITHMETIC TRANSFORM
DSD CORE
The DSD sound format (Direct Stream Digital) was released in 1999 with the introduction of the
SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc).
In the « computer audio » era, it has now become much more accessible. Considered by many
industry leaders as the most analog sounding of digital formats, DSD has gained a solid reputation
over time and has quickly become a reference format for the most demanding of audiophiles.
The conventional PCM format of audio CDs encodes music on 16 bits (65536 levels), 44100
times per second, whereas DSD format encodes music on 1 bit (using only 2 levels: 0 or 1) but
much more frequently: 2.8224 million times per second (DSD64 ou DSD 1x), 5.6448 million
times per second (DSD128 ou DSD 2x) and even 11.2896 times per second (DSD256 ou DSD
4x). The raw bitrate of an audio DSD stream is higher than that of an audio CD and equivalent
to a High Definition PCM stream.
Thus, on a bandwidth point of view, it is technically feasible to carry an audio DSD stream over a
High Definition capable PCM digital input. The entire Expert range is now compatible with the
DoP protocol (DSD over PCM). This new feature is available through the USB input but also on
the digital XLR input (AES/EBU), the TOSLINK optical input and all coaxial digital inputs
(S/PDIF). A completely unique feature.
MAT

DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40
bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational
operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage),
the MAT

algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital
filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly
outstanding performances
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hi.

We have used a D250 as pre some time ago. At that time we still thought that large classical mono amps like KRELL or AVM might sound better. But the test failed. We did NOT like the SQ even though we tried different cabels, etc.

To me the one box design is part of the magic....

Besides, I believe that DSD is massively overrated. I recommend to read some thoughts writen down by the folks at GRIMM Audio who work for recording studios for ages.

http://www.grimmaudio.com/site/assets/fi...d_myth.pdf

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
(09-Mar-2016, 17:31)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

We have used a D250 as pre some time ago. At that time we still thought that large classical mono amps like KRELL or AVM might sound better. But the test failed. We did NOT like the SQ even though we tried different cabels, etc.

Besides, I believe that DSD is massively overrated. I recommend to read some thoughts writen down by the folks at GRIMM Audio who work for recording studios for ages.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

You could have said it louder but not clearer! I agree, DSD is definitely overrated but I think the same goes for high res music in general. It's marketing, a war of numbers, the higher the better, or so is perceived.

The real magic for a technically proficient album lies, mainly, in the chain between the microphones and the sound engineer. 

In my case, even though I've got over 300 high res albums, my favourites are, by far, rips of 16/44 quality.

BTW, thank you for the link, I'll have a look right now. Here's another one from Goldmund:

http://www.goldmund.com/en/technologies/...und-better

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
As Grimm notes, Channel Classics is the exception since they do native DSD. He actually did a very nice DSD recording for Channel Classics himself! The point about 64fs actually being superior is very well-taken. Sometimes more (128. 256) is not better!

(09-Mar-2016, 17:31)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Right lets get this thread back on track. Techno session here playing through Od'A. Visceral 025 James Warren mix. Effortless power, unlimited power almost!  Big Grin

Happy days.  Smile I like my techno hard and fast.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
This is the closest I've ever felt like being in a club!!! Wow!

So much power!!!! Grip, control...

It's outrageous guys!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(10-Mar-2016, 22:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: This is the closest I've ever felt like being in a club!!! Wow!

It's outrageous guys!

Guillaume
Wahoo :-)
Congratulations !!! Enjoy :-) And let us know how you feel discovering this marvel...
(10-Mar-2016, 22:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: This is the closest I've ever felt like being in a club!!! Wow!

It's outrageous guys!

Guillaume

Guess you like it then Smile Smile Well worth the wait by the sounds of it.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England