Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
After some more hours of listening (and the good thing is that it still rains in Bavaria), it is like a competition between Lang Lang and Martha Argerich. The D800 ist technical perfect, it just sound right. The D900 transports more emotions while it is not over exaggerating.

Just one side remark, I discovered that I like the DSD to PCM processing within Jriver much better than the internal one of the Devialet. The Jriver transcoder sounds more natural to me.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
Thought I should say hello as I have lurked here for some time!

I have read your views with great interest - especially the sources!

Long time Dev owner - my 250 was a premier

Plus you can now tick off another UK Od'A owner.
Od'A 51, B&W 802D2, MicroRendu->Mutec MC-3+ USB or AIR3
Le 250, Kef R900, cubox->AudioPhilleo+PurePower or AIR3
(15-Jun-2016, 16:54)Cob917 Wrote: Thought I should say hello as I have lurked here for some time!

Welcome to Devialet Chat Cob917!  Smile

How are you finding the O d'A?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Great No 51 is part of the club. Congratulations and have a lot of fun with it! We should have an OdA owners register, it seems that they sooner or later all show up here :-) OT: Tip of the Day: David Linx: Brell.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(15-Jun-2016, 16:54)Cob917 Wrote: Thought I should say hello as I have lurked here for some time!

Welcome!  I notice you have an interesting selection of sources yourself, microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB, as well as AIR 3.  Any observations on how AIR 3 and the microRendu Mutec combo compare?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Jun-2016, 19:39)Confused Wrote:

Welcome!  I notice you have an interesting selection of sources yourself, microRendu + Mutec MC3+USB, as well as AIR 3.  Any observations on how AIR 3 and the microRendu Mutec combo compare?

+1

I also run microRendu and Mutec right now but with a really poor AES cable, waiting for a Cabledyne to show up any day.

What are your thougts about microRendu/Mutec VS. AIR3?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Thanks all for your warm welcome!

I think the Od'A is fantastic - but I did come from a 250, not an 800 so I don't know whether my views are relevant.  I can't believe the power and control at low volumes and I can't believe the sound coming from my B&Ws - truly breathtaking.  I'm afraid I don't have the elegant articulation that some of you possess when describing music so I want be describing blacks and veils etc!!!

AIR3 v Mutec? OK, so I got the Mutec based on reading a certain members posts!  I haven't had it long but here is the thing for me - I prefer the Mutec for some music and AIR for other!

So classical without doubt (currently) AIR - but some,thing like Adele the Mutec. Why? I think AIR is more analogue sounding.  Hey, it could be the recordings, plus the Mutec is new so may change.

My aes is audioquest Carbon, so not mega expensive.  I think spdif is really sensitive to cables - certainly my experience with AudioPhilleo suggested that - it sounded so digital with cheap cables.

It's all Roon. No issues with the Mac - although I had to rebuild it (2011 mini) as it was crashing like I have read on here.

I know some will disagree! I think best sounding is very personal!
Od'A 51, B&W 802D2, MicroRendu->Mutec MC-3+ USB or AIR3
Le 250, Kef R900, cubox->AudioPhilleo+PurePower or AIR3
(15-Jun-2016, 22:02)Cob917 Wrote: I think the Od'A is fantastic - but I did come from a 250, not an 800 so I don't know whether my views are relevant.  I can't believe the power and control at low volumes and I can't believe the sound coming from my B&Ws - truly breathtaking.  I'm afraid I don't have the elegant articulation that some of you possess when describing music so I want be describing blacks and veils etc!!!

For me the upgrade from 250 to 800 was much less breath taking than the one from D800 to Od'A ! And I agree with your observation on low volumes. It just sound effortless and balanced.
I really want to get the D800 upgraded as soon as possible....
(15-Jun-2016, 22:02)Cob917 Wrote: AIR3 v Mutec? OK, so I got the Mutec based on reading a certain members posts!  I haven't had it long but here is the thing for me - I prefer the Mutec for some music and AIR for other!

So classical without doubt (currently) AIR - but some,thing like Adele the Mutec. Why? I think AIR is more analogue sounding.  Hey, it could be the recordings, plus the Mutec is new so may change.

This actually makes perfect sense to me, I recall auditioning the Aurender W20 vs the Melco N1Z, there was some material I preferred on the Melco, some on the Aurender.  Things get very subtle sometimes when you reach a certain level of sound quality!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
On the weekend I took my OdAs and visited a friend in Frankfurt who is a happy D800 listener driving his Magico Q5s.
After two days of listening back and worth (with multiple blind switching incl leveling) (Source Aurender W20, LS cable Audioquest Everest, Oracle Delphi V6 with SME V5, Lyra Kleos) the OdA clearly declassified the D800.
The difference wit the Q5 was a lot bigger than with my V2s and the Amati Futura.
I was never a big Fan of the Q5 (maybe I have a mental problem here because I ruined my back when he bought the speakers), but with the OdA I heard them the first time without their very technical sound.
Especially with small ensembles they produced much more atmossphere than the D800. Better controlled Bass (especially on low volumes) and the irritation I had in the upper mids is gone.

Interestingly enough this was even more pronounced when we switched to the turntable.
I will do a better write up next weekend.