Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(12-Aug-2016, 21:23)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(12-Aug-2016, 14:34)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(12-Aug-2016, 12:16)brit Wrote: I don't think that Kangaroos lay eggs, so that may be true  Tongue.

And Platypusses' eggs are pretty rare I agree.

I've never seen an O d'A before you dodos!
And no, kangaroos don't LAY eggs. They do occasionally LAY on the road and get run over. Nothing beats a road kill dinner.  Big Grin

Scrambled Kangaroo on toast - yummy Tongue .
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(12-Aug-2016, 21:23)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(12-Aug-2016, 14:34)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(12-Aug-2016, 12:16)brit Wrote: I don't think that Kangaroos lay eggs, so that may be true  Tongue.

And Platypusses' eggs are pretty rare I agree.

I've never seen an O d'A before you dodos!
And no, kangaroos don't LAY eggs. They do occasionally LAY on the road and get run over. Nothing beats a road kill dinner.  Big Grin

Scrambled Kangaroo on toast - yummy Tongue .
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
This is all going a bit Wigwam  Angry

Can we get back to discussing the OdA please?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Nice bit of Roadkill - Yummy!!!

PS Guillaume, sorry mate just had to add for us Ozzie boys
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(13-Aug-2016, 00:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: This is all going a bit Wigwam  Angry

Can we get back to discussing the OdA please?

Guillaume

Sorry about that Guillaume - now there is egg on my face Angel .
or, as alternative, 

UK
http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/news/devialet...-september

If you read the details per this link to the letter, it states that the upgrade O'dA to 'Od'A Pro' (??!!) is £0, and that you 'need to do it between 1st September and the 31st December 2016.'

Just a thought!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Aug-2016, 14:17)Confused Wrote: http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/news/devialet...-september

If you read the details per this link to the letter, it states that the upgrade O'dA to 'Od'A Pro' (??!!)  is £0, and that you 'need to do it between 1st September and the 31st December 2016.'

Just a thought!

Nah the O d'A hardware upgrade happens when the OS board is ready, sometime hopefully in 2017.  Smile

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi guys,

I've finally had a few days at home and set up my O d'A at last. At Guillaume's recommendation I went straight to V10 firmware and 1000W (into 6 Ohm, so about 1.3 kW into my 4 Ohm little two way speakers but who's counting?)

So how were my findings?

Looks: Well, I wasn't 100% sure about the colour they were going to be. Photos of O d'As have been so varied in colour. Luckily it was close to what I hoped it would be. Not too yellow but for me it could have been a tad darker. Under the right light (dimmed) they look a million bucks though.  Smile

Setup: I have a small stereo in my garage under the house which used to feed off my D200. But because the Master needs to feed from one of the outputs I had to figure out an alternative way. Easily found; just have an output each on Master and Companion. Smile 

Sound: I wasn't sure what to expect but I had some preconceptions. Tighter bass would be one of them but because my speakers are a bit close to the wall it could have easily turned a bit muddy if it was more powerful. No such thing. The bass was much tighter and better defined but also a little lighter. (Firmware 10 perhaps) My hope is that this will get better once it gets some hours on it. This does confirm one thing to me: The D200 wasn't powerful enough for the C1s. Not a huge surprise.  Smile 

Mids were soo much clearer. I'm still coming to terms with that. I thought the D200 was quite good and that, if some songs didn't sound 100% musical, it would have been the recording. I remember a mate of mine listening to my D200 setup for the first time. He mentioned that the voices sounded like real voices. Now I know that wasn't so much the case. Voices sound a lot more like real voices through the O d'A. A LOT more.  Smile 
On some recordings it can sound a but in your face/harsh still but I'm sure that will mellow over time.  Undecided

Highs were very much like the mids. A bit out of step with the bass but unbelievably extended. I've heard decays on cymbals go on for so long it almost felt as if I had my ear on the cymbal itself. 
I forgot what song it was (tried to play is for the missus last night and got the wrong song) but on this song (by Nina Simone) the piano at the end vibrates on until the mastering engineer has completely turned the volume off. I wasn't even aware there was a vibration in that piano when I played it on my D200. Very, very good.  Smile  

So, I'm a very happy camper already. My hope is that things mellow out a little over time. Other than that, I've been more overwhelmingly surprised than with any other audio product I have ever heard.  Smile 

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Aug-2016, 06:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi guys,

I've finally had a few days at home and set up my O d'A at last. At Guillaume's recommendation I went straight to V10 firmware and 1000W (into 6 Ohm, so about 1.3 kW into my 4 Ohm little two way speakers but who's counting?)

So how were my findings?

Looks: Well, I wasn't 100% sure about the colour they were going to be. Photos of O d'As have been so varied in colour. Luckily it was close to what I hoped it would be. Not too yellow but for me it could have been a tad darker. Under the right light (dimmed) they look a million bucks though.  Smile

Setup: I have a small stereo in my garage under the house which used to feed off my D200. But because the Master needs to feed from one of the outputs I had to figure out an alternative way. Easily found; just have an output each on Master and Companion. Smile 

Sound: I wasn't sure what to expect but I had some preconceptions. Tighter bass would be one of them but because my speakers are a bit close to the wall it could have easily turned a bit muddy if it was more powerful. No such thing. The bass was much tighter and better defined but also a little lighter. (Firmware 10 perhaps) My hope is that this will get better once it gets some hours on it. This does confirm one thing to me: The D200 wasn't powerful enough for the C1s. Not a huge surprise.  Smile 

Mids were soo much clearer. I'm still coming to terms with that. I thought the D200 was quite good and that, if some songs didn't sound 100% musical, it would have been the recording. I remember a mate of mine listening to my D200 setup for the first time. He mentioned that the voices sounded like real voices. Now I know that wasn't so much the case. Voices sound a lot more like real voices through the O d'A. A LOT more.  Smile 
On some recordings it can sound a but in your face/harsh still but I'm sure that will mellow over time.  Undecided

Highs were very much like the mids. A bit out of step with the bass but unbelievably extended. I've heard decays on cymbals go on for so long it almost felt as if I had my ear on the cymbal itself. 
I forgot what song it was (tried to play is for the missus last night and got the wrong song) but on this song (by Nina Simone) the piano at the end vibrates on until the mastering engineer has completely turned the volume off. I wasn't even aware there was a vibration in that piano when I played it on my D200. Very, very good.  Smile  

So, I'm a very happy camper already. My hope is that things mellow out a little over time. Other than that, I've been more overwhelmingly surprised than with any other audio product I have ever heard.  Smile 

Pim

Great initial report Pim. Glad that initial listening sessions are meeting (exceeding) expectations Smile. I think that other O d'A owners have reported on a "break in" period which, I think, is to be expected. Look forward to your further reports on how things progress.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
(22-Aug-2016, 08:07)brit Wrote:
(22-Aug-2016, 06:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi guys,

So how were my findings?

Pim

Great initial report Pim. Glad that initial listening sessions are meeting (exceeding) expectations Smile. I think that other O d'A owners have reported on a "break in" period which, I think, is to be expected. Look forward to your further reports on how things progress.

David

Absolutely right David, mine took a good couple of weeks to really settle down. I had my dealers O d'A for a month or two while waiting for mine to ship, so I actually got used to the sound on his. Going from his to my brand new unit felt like quite a downgrade. 

Guillaume

UK