Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New phono stage
Thanks for the suggestion @Pim
I’ve just reduced SAM to 0% and bass is back to 0db and the drivers are behaving okay now, why would SAM cause the drivers to behave like that?
@Finn over the weekend I will revert back to the Devialet and give it some thought and will feedback
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
Ok Danny tank you .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(12-Dec-2018, 22:28)Dannythered Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion @Pim
I’ve just reduced SAM to 0% and bass is back to 0db and the drivers are behaving okay now, why would SAM cause the drivers to behave like that?

SAM enables your speakers to play lower frequencies and that's just what that rumble is; The vibration from your speakers gets picked up by your stylus, amplified through your speakers, which causes more vibration etc. It's a vicious cycle. SAM off will help but the subsonic filter is especially designed for this very issue.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-Dec-2018, 03:05)Pim Wrote:
(12-Dec-2018, 22:28)Dannythered Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion @Pim

SAM enables your speakers to play lower frequencies and that's just what that rumble is; The vibration from your speakers gets picked up by your stylus, amplified through your speakers, which causes more vibration etc. It's a vicious cycle. SAM off will help but the subsonic filter is especially designed for this very issue.
You were spot on, I enabled the subsonic filter last night and the issue was solved immediately, SAM back to previous levels and bass at 0db, thank you so much for the heads up on this, almost the weekend so some time for a dedicated listening session
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
The subsonic filter is enabled by default with the internal stage, which is probably why this was new to you.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I have bought an Rothwell headamp and use it with my 130Pro and my Kenwood KD 990 TT with AT 33PTGII element. No hiss and noise anymore and a very nice match with the mm stage of the Devialet. Nice and wide soundstage with good separation.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
Some good points made by Pim and Soniclife. It should be noted that the RIIA 1976 equalization standard includes a high pass filter, or "rumble filter". The RIIA 1976 is the default setting with the Devialet internal stage, and hence has the "rumble filter", but you can change to RIIA (not 1976) an lose the high pass filter. (not that you would want to)

I am not sure if you are aware, but if you go into the Devialet menu, through bass, treble, SAM etc, there is then a high pass filter option. If you are using a line input this is set to "none" as default, but you can used the remote to change to 2Hz, 4Hz, 10Hz, 20Hz, or whatever you need to tame the wobbly woofers. It is a very nice feature. I think the RIAA 1976 option is roughly equivalent to a 20Hz high pass filter, but you can fine tune this to suit your specific issue. After that, you can set SAM etc. to taste without worrying about the woofer issue.

As an aside, a while ago I tried an external phono stage and had exactly the same wobbly woofer issue, using the high pass filter solved this completely.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12