Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Os 2 where's the deezer and other music stream connection
(01-Nov-2019, 23:42)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(01-Nov-2019, 17:27)steve_denney Wrote: Can someone please confirm my thinking. If the new App doesn’t offer native streaming for Tidal etc then is Upnp the best way to listen because it is lossless? Bluetooth or airplay is lossy and that was why Tidal was embedded into Spark to provide a better sound quality. Thanks
Am still on DOS1 waiting for confirmation that DOS2 UPnP has at least the same sound quality. BubbleUPnPn connects directly to Tidal and is better (more body) than Tidal using Spark. I did a detailed comparison and found that UPnP was significantly better than Airplay and Optical

Bluetooth is lossy but Airplay is lossless but limited to 16/44.1

To answer your question, yes, use UPnP for Tidal. This post indicates it is working with DOS2
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...2#pid87552
When testing Spark VS UPnP, did you ensure that the output volume was the same? Not the one in Spark but actually measured volume. Just the smallest difference in volume will have an impact on the perceived sound quality.

Now on topic; Tidal with Bubble UPnP still works well with DOS2.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Nov-2019, 00:22)ragwo Wrote: When testing Spark VS UPnP, did you ensure that the output volume was the same? Not the one in Spark but actually measured volume. Just the smallest difference in volume will have an impact on the perceived sound quality.

I am acutely aware of the impact of volume on perceived sound quality and actively watch for it when doing a comparison. I did not measure when I did the test just now, but can if you want me to with a USB microphone.

Thank you for feedback on DOS2 UPnP. I have logged a ticket with Devialet asking that question (as well as a question on whether they tested DOS2 with MinimServer).  I spent a lot of effort improving the Phantoms with MinimServer and convolution room correction and do not want to go backwards with DOS2.  I have had no stability issues, so right now will hold back on the upgrade.
(02-Nov-2019, 00:48)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(02-Nov-2019, 00:22)ragwo Wrote: When testing Spark VS UPnP, did you ensure that the output volume was the same? Not the one in Spark but actually measured volume. Just the smallest difference in volume will have an impact on the perceived sound quality.

I am acutely aware of the impact of volume on perceived sound quality and actively watch for it when doing a comparison. I did not measure when I did the test just now, but can if you want me to with a USB microphone.

Thank you for feedback on DOS2 UPnP. I have logged a ticket with Devialet asking that question (as well as a question on whether they tested DOS2 with MinimServer).  I spent a lot of effort improving the Phantoms with MinimServer and convolution room correction and do not want to go backwards with DOS2.  I have had no stability issues, so right now will hold back on the upgrade.
No need to measure for my sake, but it could be that playing through UPnP gives you more input gain and therefore better perceived sound quality. I've been fooled more than once because of this.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I use an iOS app called mconnect to play Qobuz via UPnP. The interface isn’t that slick, but it works and supports high-res content. It also supports TIDAL.
(02-Nov-2019, 01:54)ragwo Wrote: No need to measure for my sake, but it could be that playing through UPnP gives you more input gain and therefore better perceived sound quality. I've been fooled more than once because of this.
For my own sanity, I did another compare between Tidal on Spark vs BubbleUPnP and this time measured using my phone app DecibelX. The Spark volume was slightly softer. After adjusting, Tidal on BubbleUPnP had still more body.

Agree, have been fooled by louder music more often that I like to admit!
I’m interested in your comments re Upnp. When I have compared this against optical for my Naim NAS or even today comparing Tidal using MConnect against Tidal native via Spark, I have found Upnp to be quite muddy. Using optical or Spark the sound seems more dynamic but with Upnp it has plodding bass and restrained treble. Back to optical or Spark brings the sound in a more balanced way with better dynamics.
I feel rather reluctant to ditch the DOS1 setup at the moment even if optical brings with it the crackle and dropouts we have mentioned previously . Going down Upnp only route leaves me thinking I will miss the sound I currently enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-Nov-2019, 22:49)steve_denney Wrote: I’m interested in your comments re Upnp. When I have compared this against optical for my Naim NAS or even today comparing Tidal using MConnect against Tidal native via Spark, I have found Upnp to be quite muddy. Using optical or Spark the sound seems more dynamic but with Upnp it has plodding bass and restrained treble. Back to optical or Spark brings the sound in a more balanced way with better dynamics.
I feel rather reluctant to ditch the DOS1 setup at the moment even if optical brings with it the crackle and dropouts we have mentioned previously . Going down Upnp only route leaves me thinking I will miss the sound I currently enjoy.
As background, I am using MinimServer, BubbleUPnP for my Phantoms.  To my ears, UPnP provides a big sound stage, bigger than Spark, Airplay, Optical.  I have Tidal but do not use it enough.  Spark is only used when I need to reset or for testing.

I think we are moving the realm of listening preferences.  I find that Spark has less body and a smaller soundstage and shrill.  Interesting that my "shrill" in Spark is your restrained treble in UPnP. It is what we are used to and also what we prefer.  It does make it difficult to migrate if you prefer the Spark sound.
(30-Oct-2019, 00:15)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(29-Oct-2019, 23:09)eladeb Wrote: @Snoopy8
Not using minimserver im streaming directly.
Whats should I use minimserver.please elaborate.
Good to know UPnP is working at least.  MinimServer is a UPnP server to access music on NAS. I am also using it to do convolution room correction.
Hi Snoopy8, please also note that UPnP is also working with Bubble UPnP and my NAS (Qnap & Asustor) where i'm storing my Lossless Music  Smile 
I've also tried successfully UPnP through a google chromecast audio plugged with optical. The Chromecast audio is "only" 96kHz capable with optical out but it's sound like perfection.
Stereo Rector 600 - Silver Phantom - Gold Phantom
(04-Nov-2019, 10:24)YDoux Wrote: Hi Snoopy8, please also note that UPnP is also working with Bubble UPnP and my NAS (Qnap & Asustor) where i'm storing my Lossless Music  Smile 
I've also tried successfully UPnP through a google chromecast audio plugged with optical. The Chromecast audio is "only" 96kHz capable with optical out but it's sound like perfection.
Thank you. What UPnP server are you using on NAS?

And was there any change in sound quality with UPnP when migrating from DOS1 to DOS2?
I’m more of a plug and play kind of guy... mostly using Spotify connect or tidal through AirPlay. That said,  everyone here seems to agree that the setup with Bubble UPnP is the way to go... would love to understand how to leverage this and set it up- is there a tutorial on this setup somewhere I could leverage or someone could walk me through? (Do I need a server, what’s the setup, step by step guide, etc.?). I’m also not very technical and have never seen or made such a setup.