Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxford Audio Consultants - Saturday 4th June
Advance details you say?

I will have all three demo rooms Devialet'd to the hilt with the entire range from 120 all the way up to O d'A. We will have all of what we consider the best ways to feed digital information to a Devialet plugged in and ready for people to have a listen. The point of the day is to show off the myriad ways of streaming available and how we feel Devialet amplifiers can be optimized for the best performance.

We will have two seriously top-notch systems set up upstairs to try and show as clearly as possible the differences between sources, these will include models from:

dCS (!)
Aurender
Melco
Computer Audio Design

We will also have some tweaky bits to show off (to those curious and open-minded to entertain them) which both Jon and I feel make huge improvements to our own systems. This will involve Stillpoints, Entreq and cables that anyone interested will be able to hear in a friendly, non-pushy environment with not a rep in sight! We think they make a huge difference and hopefully we can convince you the same!

There will be two different never-before-heard offerings, one of course from dCS (which is simply astonishing) and the other from our friends at Chord cables.

All in all, it will be a great (and hopefully social!) day that should help anyone who is unsure or confused about massive streamers.

I hope to see lots of you here on the 4th.

Alasdair
(23-May-2016, 10:54)Confused Wrote: Alasdair is right, it did sound very good indeed, sensational in fact.  Better than AIR 3?  I have never heard AIR 3, and I believe Alasdair has not had time yet to try it either.  However, was it better than the W20?  Yes, comfortably.  So I suspect AIR 3 might struggle a bit in this particular head to head.  In the interests of balance, AIR 3 is cheaper ........

Where will this solution fall, in terms of pricing? At the N10 or W20 level? Or higher?

Edit: Ah, dCS pricing then.
DCS Vivaldi 2.0?

Prices: Vivaldi Transport ($41,999), Vivaldi DAC ($35,999), Vivaldi Upsampler Plus ($21,999), Vivaldi Master Clock ($14,999)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Now this is a nice event. Shame I live on the other Side of the Channel. Please post pictures, setups and all your oppinions on sound quality, as I am more then interested in better sources for my Devialet or ways to improve overall sound quality by using tweaks.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Speaking of the so called "astonishing" 2 box dCS streamer, this should be very interesting indeed. Particularly in the context of some of the conversations that have been going on in here about a hypothetical ceiling sq-wise being reached with streamers and renderers.

I'm very much looking forward to this.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-May-2016, 17:12)GuillaumeB Wrote: Speaking of the so called "astonishing" 2 box dCS streamer, this should be very interesting indeed. Particularly in the context of some of the conversations that have been going on in here about a hypothetical ceiling sq-wise being reached with streamers and renderers.

I'm very much looking forward to this.  Smile

Guillaume

Agreed.  After listening to Melco / Aurender / Cad Cat options I thought I was getting some idea of what was possible at the limit of digital audio, with some idea of the subtle differences offered by the different alternatives.

Having listened to the dCS rig, I now know the limit is somewhere else entirely......   It genuinely has changed my thoughts as to what is possible.  So yes, even if you are not thinking of buying a beast like this, the OAC day does offer a great opportunity to at least hear an example of what's possible.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It would be nice to get a current/popular cheap-ish NAA device, perhaps a microRendu? I realise if there are too many devices to compare it'll just get confusing and setting the stuff up constantly is a pain.
(23-May-2016, 18:58)Rufus McDufus Wrote: It would be nice to get a current/popular cheap-ish NAA device, perhaps a microRendu? I realise if there are too many devices to compare it'll just get confusing and setting the stuff up constantly is a pain.

Great idea!  I suggest we fly Antoine in with his microRendu / Mutec combo.  Of course, Antoine may well have better things to do, it would be interesting though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm probably going to be too busy for these lovely forums for a while (new family member arriving imminently), but I'll still read when I can and will be interested to see the comparisons so if you guys wanted to borrow my Rendu just shout. If anyone's local to SW London to collect they could grab it, or I could post it to someone (or OAC). Sadly no Mutec but I've got the Intona and a few USB cables if you want to go crazy.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Right, lets get some enthusiasm back in this thread. Thanks for the offer of the Rendu Swlon but we will already have a heap of stuff good to go.

Guests are welcome to bring their own solutions digital-wise and their cynicism (i'm looking at you Nick) we should be able to get a few extra bits plugged in over the course of the day. With as much kit as we are going to have. I have broken my no-rep rule and have roped Liam from dCS in but only to make sure that clocking settings and such are correct but he is under careful instruction that its a Devialetchat day!

As massive Devialet fan-boys, we think we have a pretty good handle on the best source components that most can actually live with. No duct-tape, no faff. It's going to be a great open day for anyone with digital music and a Devialet amplifier.

Alasdair