Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PHANTOM ELEVATE PROGRAM
There is a pretty bold statement from Devialet on this program:
With Devialet's Elevate program, you have little to lose and a lot to gain

So I have 2 old Golden Phantoms (U046), for the price of 1300 euro per unit to elevate, which I take is according to Devialet "Little to Loose"  for a "lot to gain".
Maybe I have missed it but what is there to gain by going to the these ones?
I’m also wondering if it is worth upgrading. In UK to change from Gold to new Gold is £1395 each phantom.

I am still on DOS1 and mostly they are stable so I am uncertain.

Has anyone run a comparison between original Golds and New Golds ignoring which DOS version. It would be good to get clarity whether the hardware changes etc make that much of a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the very same question. 2 Golds from 2017, DOS1, always listening with Spotify connect. What do I have to gain? Seems like a no brainer to do do nothing for 0USD and keep enjoying my Golds. Why should I upgrade?
Thanks
Take look at this Thread https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet-Upgrade

I did it to get Black Matte, as I am going for a second one. In my opinion the sound is very similar. What you gain is lower temperature, faster booting time, no or very little dropouts. Is it worth it if all works for you in stereo - definitely not. But if you have problems or plan to get another - you should seriously consider it. Also bear in mind taht the new ones are matte and not glossy.
I've bitten the bullet on this. I'm all in, have paid, and am waiting on my shipping boxes to turn up.

I'm trading the following, from Australia:
2 x Golds (3.5 years old) for 2 x 108Db (White) - LIVING ROOM
1 x Silver (5 years old) for 1 x 103Db (Black) - DINING ROOM
1 x Reactor900 (1.5 years old) for 1 x 103Db (Black) - OFFICE

The way I look at it is that, over 5 years, I've spent AUD$3k (Silver) + AUD$9k (2 Golds) + AUD$2.5k (Reactor) = AUD$14.5k. That's about AUD$3k a year. I 'traded down' from a $30k+ system that I sold for $15k. No regrets at all.

The total cost of upgrading is AUD$10k. Why?

I get better sound all around (I hope!), plus newer gear which is less likely to break (all of my Phantoms are out of warranty). So, I'm good for the next several years. My next upgrade will be in about 5 years, so it's about AUD$2k per year to keep that going. Given how much I listen to, and enjoy, my music, it's small change.

Andrew
That would also be part of my reasoning, however my budget was 5K max for speakers, where I hope to get a long life from.

My main question here is then how much life can one expect from the old ones, as for now they are perfect for me, based on the specs and sound.
I just bit the bullet as well; I traded two gold in for the 108db in black ($1,600 USD/ ea). My stereo pair of Phantoms has never ever worked well, I have gone through countless iterations with tech support, traded out one speaker, etc. They will be stable, then there is an update and the issues restart. I've given up on tech support and my reasoning is my current pair has 0 value, so I'm willing to take a chance on the redesign. I just hope I'm not throwing good money after bad...
I traded in two 95’s for two 108’s. I ended up getting about 75% of what I paid for the 95’s in value after one year - I felt this was very fair considering I didn’t have to go to the trouble selling used speakers.
I’m tempted by the program as well. I really enjoy my golds but tend to have issues with every update. I bought them at different times so they have different internal hardware based on their serial numbers so I’m hoping with the update to have the same hardware and have better update experiences. Seems plausible but not entirely guaranteed. Outside of the update hiccups I’m still very satisfied with the system so I’m happy to stick with Devialet. I reached out to customer service and they said they would transfer my existing extended warranties to the new speakers so I thought that was nice. They were uncertain as to how long the program would last but thought maybe longer than previous programs. Who knows though.
Here’s to hoping that some do take up the upgrade and then report back on their experience in terms of sound (subjective I guess because the old phantoms will have already been returned) and how reliable they are with the different streaming methods.

I am still on the fence but if they do keep the upgrade open for a while I might be tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk